Gaumont had to take drugs

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tispectrum, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. Tispectrum

    Tispectrum Guest

    PARIS, March 15 (Reuters) - Former Cofidis rider Philippe
    Gaumont says he would have been kicked out of his team if he
    had refused to take performance enhancing drugs.

    "If you did not take drugs, you were just fired after a
    year," Gaumont, who is under investigation in an alleged
    doping scandal involving Cofidis, told Monday's Le Monde
    newspaper.

    Gaumont, a 1992 Olympic bronze medallist in the 100-km team
    competition, has been accused of drug taking twice in the
    past. He tested positive for the banned steroid nandrolone
    in 1997 and for amphetamines in 1999.

    He said he did not take anything in the first six months
    with his first team, Castorama, whom he joined in 1994.

    "In June, 1994, a team doctor gave me a shot of Kenacort and
    it went on from there," he added.

    Kenacort is a corticosteroid, a banned substance which
    reduces fatigue and swelling.

    Gaumont said he was amazed by the quantity of drugs he had
    to take before time trials.

    "An intravenous injection of Fonzylane to dilate the veins
    and let the blood spread well. Some injectable caffeine. A
    pill of Theostat so that I could breathe easily and some
    analgesic to stop pain," he said.

    Gaumont said random tests were ineffective.

    "The tests occur during training and races. Every rider
    knows that intravenous erythropoietin (EPO) stays for three
    days in the urine. So you just have to act consequently and
    stop the treatment three days before the test.

    "And the effect of EPO is still effective 10 days after you
    take it." EPO stimulates the production of oxygen-carrying
    red blood cells.

    The rider said he had never been told about the risks of
    taking banned substances.

    "The only risks I was told about were the risks of
    being caught.

    "I take full responsibility for my mistakes, but it is
    the whole system leading us to doping that has to be
    judged," he said.

    Tags:

  2. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    tispectrum wrote:
    > PARIS, March 15 (Reuters) - Former Cofidis rider Philippe
    > Gaumont says he would have been kicked out of his team if
    > he had refused to take performance enhancing drugs.
    >
    > "If you did not take drugs, you were just fired after a
    > year," Gaumont, who is under investigation in an alleged
    > doping scandal involving Cofidis, told Monday's Le Monde
    > newspaper.

    Perhaps I'm misreading the article, but where did he say
    that? http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,[email protected],36-
    356799,0.html

  3. Ronde Chump

    Ronde Chump Guest

    He's just another loser that wants to try and justify his
    mental weaknesses and bad decisions. It's typical...just
    blame others for your own shortcomings and stupidity.

    Good bye, good riddance, and don't let the door hit you in
    the ass on your way out. You are a Bum.

  4. Trg

    Trg Guest

    Robert Chung wrote:
    > tispectrum wrote:
    >> PARIS, March 15 (Reuters) - Former Cofidis rider Philippe
    >> Gaumont says he would have been kicked out of his team if
    >> he had refused to take performance enhancing drugs.
    >>
    >> "If you did not take drugs, you were just fired after a
    >> year," Gaumont, who is under investigation in an alleged
    >> doping scandal involving Cofidis, told Monday's Le Monde
    >> newspaper.
    >
    > Perhaps I'm misreading the article, but where did he say
    > that? http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,[email protected],36-
    > 356799,0.html

    Agreed, I was surprised reading the translation here, having
    read the original in Le Monde first. I was wondering where
    they got that line from.

  5. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > tispectrum wrote:
    > > PARIS, March 15 (Reuters) - Former Cofidis rider
    > > Philippe Gaumont says he would have been kicked out of
    > > his team if he had refused to take performance enhancing
    > > drugs.
    > >
    > > "If you did not take drugs, you were just fired after a
    > > year," Gaumont, who is under investigation in an alleged
    > > doping scandal involving Cofidis, told Monday's Le Monde
    > > newspaper.
    >
    > Perhaps I'm misreading the article, but where did he say
    > that? http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,[email protected],36-
    > 356799,0.html

    He didn't (not there anyway).

    Jeff

  6. "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > tispectrum wrote:
    > > PARIS, March 15 (Reuters) - Former Cofidis rider
    > > Philippe Gaumont says he would have been kicked out of
    > > his team if he had refused to take performance enhancing
    > > drugs.
    > >
    > > "If you did not take drugs, you were just fired after a
    > > year," Gaumont, who is under investigation in an alleged
    > > doping scandal involving Cofidis, told Monday's Le Monde
    > > newspaper.
    >
    > Perhaps I'm misreading the article, but where did he say
    > that? http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,[email protected],36-
    > 356799,0.html

    Last I read he wasn't saying he was ordered to dope, but the
    results expected of him required him to take dope. So doping
    became required indirectly.

    I wonder if he has a dog that could fetch a moose.