gavia GAVIA G.A.V.I.A ! ! !

BIANCHI_EURO

May 30, 2004
A dream will come true this year! The two last important cols missing on my "palmares" are going to be done this year. The Passo di Stelvio and the Passo della Gavia, both next to one another in the Dolomiti (Italia).

However I do have a question. Though the Gavia is included in major events like the Giro d' Italia, many claim that parts of this mountain are soft road (without asphalt). Also I hear rumours that the Gavia has been asphalted last year :confused: . On T.V. I saw only asphalt during 2005 's Giro.

Who knows the 100% certain answer (since I hate soft roads) :cool: :mad: .

Thx very much! Molto Gracie amigi della Italia ;)

Ciao Bianchi. Let me check with my Northern friends... I had heard that they were asphalting it all. What a crime. :mad:

Ciao Bianchi,

The Gavia has been asphalted on both sides, both from Ponte di Legno and from Bormio. The latter has been done more recently and is in better condition. Sorry to bring you the bad news. :(

Anyway, it will be a heck of a ride! Happy climbing! Buona fortuna!

Ciao Pete,

Tutto posto? Sono bello! Es uno strata vechio.

Bad news?? I think it is good news. I don't care about the bad road. For the descent it's a pitty, but for "slowly" climbing it'll be fine. As long as there's asphalt! And yep... I have set my mind on the famous Gavia if the road is bad on the Gavia than so be it!

Molto gracie encora di nuovo!

Arriverderci! B.

if you want dirt have you done the col di finestre(sp) as done in last years giro?? everytime i here the name gavia i think of mr rolls experiences in the 88 giro.....mmmm...snow....mud...hypothermia....they day the big men cried

Ciao Bianchi. Si, grazie, tutto a posto. Buona fortuna. Several friends have done well over 90kp/h on the downhill. Be careful. It is, apparently, great fun to descend on...

Ah, the Finestre and the last Giro... :D:cool:

Hi all, i live 80 km fro Passo Gavia, so I'm quite familiar with it.
Yes, no more "offroad" sections, asphalt is quite good but of course the sections before and after the Pass are not in so good conditions due to altitude, and hard weather conditions (snow, ice for 9 months a year).
Ciao!

Ciao,
I am planning to see Stage 20 this year at the Giro. Would it be easier to get to the Mortidolo or Gavia if I was coming from Lago di Iseo on Saturday morning? How many hours before the tour do they close the roads to cars? I will not have my bike at this point otherwise I would consider riding up the Gavia to a viewing point. How big of a crowd would you expect on the Gavia vs. the Mortidolo. I wish I could fully appreciate the Gavia by riding it, but alas I will not have my bike. The next best thing will be to watch the Giro. Thanks.

Jon

BIANCHI_EURO said:
A dream will come true this year! The two last important cols missing on my "palmares" are going to be done this year. The Passo di Stelvio and the Passo della Gavia, both next to one another in the Dolomiti (Italia).

However I do have a question. Though the Gavia is included in major events like the Giro d' Italia, many claim that parts of this mountain are soft road (without asphalt). Also I hear rumours that the Gavia has been asphalted last year
confused.gif
. On T.V. I saw only asphalt during 2005 's Giro.

Who knows the 100% certain answer (since I hate soft roads)
cool.gif
mad.gif

Thx very much! Molto Gracie amigi della Italia
wink.gif
Check out these awesome pics of the Gavia. http://jeredgruber.com/photos/GAVIA/FrameSet.htm

Jongold1 said:
Ciao,
I am planning to see Stage 20 this year at the Giro. Would it be easier to get to the Mortidolo or Gavia if I was coming from Lago di Iseo on Saturday morning? How many hours before the tour do they close the roads to cars? I will not have my bike at this point otherwise I would consider riding up the Gavia to a viewing point. How big of a crowd would you expect on the Gavia vs. the Mortidolo. I wish I could fully appreciate the Gavia by riding it, but alas I will not have my bike. The next best thing will be to watch the Giro. Thanks.

Jon
Hi, from Lake iseo, it's quite the same distance to reach Mortirolo or Gavia.
You can reach Mortirolo from Monno (easiest way and pendence) becuase you go to Mortirolo Pass from the way the Giro will do in downhill. Beside if u choose to go up the Gavia you'll do the same uphill Giro will do (and usually did).
Usually passes are closed to cars the evening before the passage of the race, but to avoid big crowds and confusion, Mortirolo is closed to cars 2-3 days before. Bigger crowd on Mortirolo for sure, Gavia is much less crowded (it's not last climb, it's longer too).
:)