Gaviscon and hypertension.

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Derek F, Sep 8, 2003.

  1. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    Is Gaviscon contraindicated for hypertensive patients?
    Derek.

    Tags:

  2. Derek F wrote:

    > Is Gaviscon contraindicated for hypertensive patients?
    > Derek.

    It does have some sodium which can raise blood pressure in some
    salt-sensitive hypertensive folks.

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

  3. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Derek F wrote:
    >
    > > Is Gaviscon contraindicated for hypertensive patients?
    > > Derek.

    > It does have some sodium which can raise blood pressure in some
    > salt-sensitive hypertensive folks.
    >
    > --
    > Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    > Board-Certified Cardiologist
    > http://www.heartmdphd.com/

    Thank you, is it your opinion that some patients are more salt sensitive
    than others ? I stopped cooking with salt and adding it to my food food
    about 20 years ago, my hypertenstion was not discovered until about four
    years ago at age 65. I have been taking Gaviscon instead of a Proton Pump
    Inhibitor this past week and my BP has actually been slightly lower than
    usual.
    Derek.

  4. "Derek F" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Derek F wrote:
    > >
    > > > Is Gaviscon contraindicated for hypertensive patients?
    > > > Derek.

    > > It does have some sodium which can raise blood pressure in some
    > > salt-sensitive hypertensive folks.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    > > Board-Certified Cardiologist
    > > http://www.heartmdphd.com/
    > >

    > Thank you, is it your opinion that some patients are more salt sensitive
    > than others ?

    It has been shown in clinical studies. It is also in my professional
    experience.

    > I stopped cooking with salt and adding it to my food food
    > about 20 years ago, my hypertenstion was not discovered until about four
    > years ago at age 65. I have been taking Gaviscon instead of a Proton Pump
    > Inhibitor this past week and my BP has actually been slightly lower than
    > usual.
    > Derek.

    Sounds like you don't have to be concerned about the Gaviscon
    adversely increasing your blood pressure.

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com

  5. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Derek F" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in

    message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > > > It does have some sodium which can raise blood pressure in some
    > > > salt-sensitive hypertensive folks.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    > > > Board-Certified Cardiologist
    > > > http://www.heartmdphd.com/
    > > >

    > > Thank you, is it your opinion that some patients are more salt sensitive
    > > than others ?

    > It has been shown in clinical studies. It is also in my professional
    > experience.
    >
    > > I stopped cooking with salt and adding it to my food food
    > > about 20 years ago, my hypertenstion was not discovered until about four
    > > years ago at age 65. I have been taking Gaviscon instead of a Proton

    Pump
    > > Inhibitor this past week and my BP has actually been slightly lower than
    > > usual.
    > > Derek.

    > Sounds like you don't have to be concerned about the Gaviscon
    > adversely increasing your blood pressure.
    >
    > --
    > Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    > Board-Certified Cardiologist
    > http://www.heartmdphd.com

    I was surprised when a Google search on 'salt sensitive' produced 1000's of
    hits. A couple at ramdom
    http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1140.html
    http://www.medigraphic.com/ingles/i-htms/i-archi/i-ac2001/i-acs01-1/im-acs011o.htm
    I stopped taking the diuretic Bendrofuazide as it was affecting my prostate.
    Derek.