GB Topo 60cscx and 1GB cards - don't work

Dundonald

Guest
Shame! I just bought a 1GB card thinking I could stick the whole of GB
Topo on to it for my 60csx and still have plenty of space. First off
selecting the whole of GB amounts to 1.6GB. So I narrow it down to
just under 1GB and Mapsource doesn't support data transfer of up to 1GB
complaining that I don't have enough space on my card. I check my card
in a card reader to ensure it's ok, it is, so check for updated
Mapsource. I download new version which in the version history
explains that the new version now allows support for 512MB cards (but
nothing greater!). So my 1GB card is limited to 512MB by Mapsource. I
verified this by attempting to download tiles from GB Topo that amount
to just greater than 512MB and it failed. Why would Garmin put this
limitation in to its (Mapsource) software?

I can't even transfer to the 1GB card using the card reader because it
seems that Mapsource creates a single .img file that includes all the
tiles that you select to download.

Dundonald wrote:

> Shame! I just bought a 1GB card thinking I could stick the whole of GB
> Topo on to it for my 60csx and still have plenty of space.

> I download new version which in the version
> history explains that the new version now allows support for 512MB
> cards (but nothing greater!).

Annoying to hear that!

> Why would
> Garmin put this limitation in to its (Mapsource) software?

It may not be a limitation as such, they may simply not support larger cards
yet for some reason. Don't know the details why, but many older digital
cameras can't use large memory cards. Something you need to check before
forking out on a 4GB Compact Flash card.

Paul

Paul Saunders wrote:
> Dundonald wrote:
>
> > Shame! I just bought a 1GB card thinking I could stick the whole of GB
> > Topo on to it for my 60csx and still have plenty of space.

> > I download new version which in the version
> > history explains that the new version now allows support for 512MB
> > cards (but nothing greater!).

> Annoying to hear that!
>
> > Why would
> > Garmin put this limitation in to its (Mapsource) software?

> It may not be a limitation as such, they may simply not support larger cards
> yet for some reason. Don't know the details why, but many older digital
> cameras can't use large memory cards. Something you need to check before
> forking out on a 4GB Compact Flash card.

I posted a similar note to the 60csx yahoo group and received replies
confirming the limitations. One user explains that he uses a 1GB card
and transfers directly to it through a card reader from MapSource
rather than to the GPS directly. I'll give this a try sometime this
week see if it works.

But nevertheless, I was very surprised to learn that even a 1GB card is
not big enough to hold the whole of the GB Topo tiles.

Bitstring <[email protected]>, from
the wonderful person Dundonald <[email protected]> said
<snip>
>But nevertheless, I was very surprised to learn that even a 1GB card is
>not big enough to hold the whole of the GB Topo tiles.

Why would you be surprised? - a quick right-click, properties on the
'topogb2' folder will show you that it's ~1.5GB in size. That's also why
it arrived on DVD, not CD.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
Advert: