GCT: USAT Penalties

rsquared

Guest
http://www.sommersports.com/results/displayresults2005.asp?event=gulfcoast2005&file=usat

Interesting note: check out all of the penalties for "Headset on Run".

I am pleased to see so many position violations being called that were
*not* drafting.

It always makes me nervous when I half-wheel ahead of someone, and they
begin to accelerate, just as I hear a (marshall's) motorcycle
approaching from behind.

There seems to have been no shortage of "overtaken" penalties, but less
"blocking" violations than I would expect.

rsquared

In article <[email protected]>,
"rsquared" <[email protected]> wrote:

> http://www.sommersports.com/results/displayresults2005.asp?event=gulfcoast2005
> &file=usat
>
> Interesting note: check out all of the penalties for "Headset on Run".
>
> I am pleased to see so many position violations being called that were
> *not* drafting.
>
> It always makes me nervous when I half-wheel ahead of someone, and they
> begin to accelerate, just as I hear a (marshall's) motorcycle
> approaching from behind.
>
> There seems to have been no shortage of "overtaken" penalties, but less
> "blocking" violations than I would expect.
>
> rsquared

You've got to love a race that actually enforces the rules. Someone got
caught drafting FIVE TIMES?! Most races I do they don't catch half the
people drafting.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson

Harold Buck wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "rsquared" <[email protected]> wrote:

<<Snipped my own verbiage>>

> You've got to love a race that actually enforces the rules. Someone

got
> caught drafting FIVE TIMES?! Most races I do they don't catch half

the
> people drafting.
>
> --Harold Buck

<<Snipped Harold's Signature Text>>

I have done GCT about fifteen times. It has certainly not *ALWAYS*
been this thoroughly policed. I think Charlie C. uses this as a
relatively close-to-home race for training referees.

It is usually well-covered, from mid-stream & faster. Behind mid-pack,
is usually the law of the jungle. That is why so much of the pre-race
"buzz" is about your age group's start order; the back is usually a
mess.

To be fair to the race organization (incl. refs), the course layout,
field size (1,500+), topography, wind, and typical proportion of
newbies has periodically created a perfect storm for packs.

rsquared

P.S. - I did not participate this year; used my time off to go to
Europe.