Gear Adjustment

Micheal Artindale

Guest
Everytime i get my cables adjusted, with in a week I start to "lose" gears.
Shifting gets difficult.

I put on about 200km+ a week.

Is this normal? or is it something else?

Micheal

"spademan o---[) *"
<[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Everytime i get my cables adjusted, with in a week I start to "lose"

> gears.
> > Shifting gets difficult.
> >
> > I put on about 200km+ a week.
> >
> > Is this normal? or is it something else?
> >
> > Micheal
> >

> After fitting new cables you may need to re-adjust them after about that
> amount of time. Should be no need to fiddle with them much after that
> though, until they get all gritchy and you replace them.
>
> Steve.

New or used, they still after about a week need to be readjusted.

Micheal

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Everytime i get my cables adjusted, with in a week I start to "lose"

gears.
> Shifting gets difficult.
>
> I put on about 200km+ a week.
>
> Is this normal? or is it something else?
>
> Micheal

After fitting new cables you may need to re-adjust them after about that
amount of time. Should be no need to fiddle with them much after that
though, until they get all gritchy and you replace them.

Steve.

> New or used, they still after about a week need to be readjusted.

To avoid waiting this week or so, you can pre-stress the cables so that it
stretches instantly.

If your frame is carbon fiber, don't do this!

Here are the steps:

Whenever new cables are installed, 1. shift into your largest gear on the
rear, stop the cranks, 2. upshift into your hardest gear on the gear shifter
*without turning the cranks*. 3. Manually pull the cable a little bit to
make sure you get the shifter to release all the cable it can.

Then pull the cable really hard. This will instantly pre-tension the cable
and remove the vast majority of the "cable stretch" that new bikes and
cables often have. Turn the cranks to settle your chain/derailleur and do
the same thing for the front derailleur, except on the front shifter you'll
be in the easiest gear for step 2 instead of your hardest gear.

If your cable pinch bolts are tight, and you're using the correct housing
(there are specific types for brake and shift), then you should be set.
Otherwise, have an LBS look at it.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

> "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Everytime i get my cables adjusted, with in a week I start to "lose"

gears.
> > Shifting gets difficult.
> >
> > I put on about 200km+ a week.
> >
> > Is this normal? or is it something else?

> The surefire cure to this problem is go singlespeed.
>
> JD

What do u think i get everytime my cable breaks... usually 7th gear of a 21
speed

Micheal

Micheal Artindale says...

> Everytime i get my cables adjusted, with in a week I start to "lose" gears.
> Shifting gets difficult.
>
> I put on about 200km+ a week.
>
> Is this normal? or is it something else?
>
> Micheal

That's what the barrel adjusters are for.