Gear Adjustment

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Micheal Artindale, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. Everytime i get my cables adjusted, with in a week I start to "lose" gears.
    Shifting gets difficult.

    I put on about 200km+ a week.

    Is this normal? or is it something else?

    Micheal

    Tags:

  2. "spademan o---[) *"
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Everytime i get my cables adjusted, with in a week I start to "lose"

    > gears.
    > > Shifting gets difficult.
    > >
    > > I put on about 200km+ a week.
    > >
    > > Is this normal? or is it something else?
    > >
    > > Micheal
    > >

    > After fitting new cables you may need to re-adjust them after about that
    > amount of time. Should be no need to fiddle with them much after that
    > though, until they get all gritchy and you replace them.
    >
    > Steve.

    New or used, they still after about a week need to be readjusted.

    Micheal

  3. "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Everytime i get my cables adjusted, with in a week I start to "lose"

    gears.
    > Shifting gets difficult.
    >
    > I put on about 200km+ a week.
    >
    > Is this normal? or is it something else?
    >
    > Micheal

    After fitting new cables you may need to re-adjust them after about that
    amount of time. Should be no need to fiddle with them much after that
    though, until they get all gritchy and you replace them.

    Steve.

  4. > New or used, they still after about a week need to be readjusted.

    To avoid waiting this week or so, you can pre-stress the cables so that it
    stretches instantly.

    If your frame is carbon fiber, don't do this!

    Here are the steps:

    Whenever new cables are installed, 1. shift into your largest gear on the
    rear, stop the cranks, 2. upshift into your hardest gear on the gear shifter
    *without turning the cranks*. 3. Manually pull the cable a little bit to
    make sure you get the shifter to release all the cable it can.

    Then pull the cable really hard. This will instantly pre-tension the cable
    and remove the vast majority of the "cable stretch" that new bikes and
    cables often have. Turn the cranks to settle your chain/derailleur and do
    the same thing for the front derailleur, except on the front shifter you'll
    be in the easiest gear for step 2 instead of your hardest gear.

    If your cable pinch bolts are tight, and you're using the correct housing
    (there are specific types for brake and shift), then you should be set.
    Otherwise, have an LBS look at it.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  5. "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Everytime i get my cables adjusted, with in a week I start to "lose"

    gears.
    > > Shifting gets difficult.
    > >
    > > I put on about 200km+ a week.
    > >
    > > Is this normal? or is it something else?

    > The surefire cure to this problem is go singlespeed.
    >
    > JD

    What do u think i get everytime my cable breaks... usually 7th gear of a 21
    speed

    Micheal

  6. Super Slinky

    Super Slinky Guest

    Micheal Artindale says...

    > Everytime i get my cables adjusted, with in a week I start to "lose" gears.
    > Shifting gets difficult.
    >
    > I put on about 200km+ a week.
    >
    > Is this normal? or is it something else?
    >
    > Micheal

    That's what the barrel adjusters are for.

  7. JD

    JD Guest