gear and brakes cable

zewol

Nov 28, 2003
hello

I just wan to know when the cables are worn out?

Do you have hint on how to check their condition...?

thanks

math

Originally posted by zewol
hello

I just wan to know when the cables are worn out?

Do you have hint on how to check their condition...?

thanks

math
When they get frayed at the anchor points, or ginked,otherwise when things quit working as they should and adjustment does not cure it. Derailer cable/casing causes the most problems.

Just replaced the cable on my right (RD) downtube shifter last week. As boudreaux said, it failed right at the lever end where it flexes. The condition was obvious when several frayed ends starting poking me in the index finger every time I shifted.

After 11 years, guess this is an expected failure. The LBS charged $3.95 for the new inner cable. They come about twice as long now as needed for downtube shifters.

The install was about a minute, plus a little time to tune the adjuster at the RD. Old school downtube shifters are pretty easy to maintain; probably a bit more work to replace on the STI or Ergo levers.

Dan

Originally posted by dhk
Just replaced the cable on my right (RD) downtube shifter last week. As boudreaux said, it failed right at the lever end where it flexes. The condition was obvious when several frayed ends starting poking me in the index finger every time I shifted.

After 11 years, guess this is an expected failure. The LBS charged $3.95 for the new inner cable. They come about twice as long now as needed for downtube shifters.

The install was about a minute, plus a little time to tune the adjuster at the RD. Old school downtube shifters are pretty easy to maintain; probably a bit more work to replace on the STI or Ergo levers.

Dan
Some would say replace STI/ergo cables /casing yearly,but that is alot of hooey and just revenue generating stuff for LBS. With totally enclosed cables,problems may be less obvious. Cable change on STI/Ego is pretty simple if you know the drill.