gear cable outers

Whilst cabling up my new IQ Fly the other day I noticed that the outer
sheath of cable outer running from the shifter to the downtube cale
stop had a spilt. It is around 1cm long and goes most of the way
round the sleeve. The exposed wires of teh outer show uniform surface
rust but no obvious damage. The spilt is where the outer rubs on teh
head tube but it doesn't look like abrasion damage. I have taped it
up with insulating tape. The system is campag (9speed mirage) with
campag branded outers and shimano cassette. Shifting is
satisfactory. All cables were renewed 16 months ago. I commute daily
in London UK. My instinct is to just leave it unless or until shfting
performance suffers or there is a catastrophic failure. Does anyone
think that that is risky?

best wishes
james

<[email protected]> wrote in message
> Whilst cabling up my new IQ Fly the other day I noticed that the outer
> sheath of cable outer running from the shifter to the downtube cale
> stop had a spilt. It is around 1cm long and goes most of the way
> round the sleeve. The exposed wires of teh outer show uniform surface
> rust but no obvious damage. The spilt is where the outer rubs on teh
> head tube but it doesn't look like abrasion damage. I have taped it
> up with insulating tape. The system is campag (9speed mirage) with
> campag branded outers and shimano cassette. Shifting is
> satisfactory. All cables were renewed 16 months ago. I commute daily
> in London UK. My instinct is to just leave it unless or until shfting
> performance suffers or there is a catastrophic failure. Does anyone
> think that that is risky?

Consider what could happen, and what problems it would cause you. Worst
case - gears stop working. How much of a pain would that be? In real life,
it would actually be a gradual failure, ie the shifting gets slightly worse
over time, so unless you're a princess/pea type, just leave it till it gets
too bad.

FWIW I've got a thoroughly knackered loop of housing for the final run to
the rear mech, and the adjuster is buggered there too - but it still works
well enough for commuting type stuff.

cheers,
clive

[email protected] wrote:
> Whilst cabling up my new IQ Fly the other day I noticed that the outer
> sheath of cable outer running from the shifter to the downtube cale
> stop had a spilt. It is around 1cm long and goes most of the way
> round the sleeve. The exposed wires of teh outer show uniform surface
> rust but no obvious damage. The spilt is where the outer rubs on teh
> head tube but it doesn't look like abrasion damage. I have taped it
> up with insulating tape. The system is campag (9speed mirage) with
> campag branded outers and shimano cassette. Shifting is
> satisfactory. All cables were renewed 16 months ago. I commute daily
> in London UK. My instinct is to just leave it unless or until shfting
> performance suffers or there is a catastrophic failure. Does anyone
> think that that is risky?
>
> best wishes
> james

Is a catastrophic failure going to happen or is it risky? Th answer is no.

Lou

On Feb 15, 7:57 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Whilst cabling up my new IQ Fly the other day I noticed that the outer
> sheath of cable outer running from the shifter to the downtube cale
> stop had a spilt.  It is around 1cm long and goes most of the way
> round the sleeve.  The exposed wires of teh outer show uniform surface
> rust but no obvious damage.  The spilt is where the outer rubs on teh
> head tube but it doesn't look like abrasion damage.  I have taped it
> up with insulating tape.  The system is campag (9speed mirage) with
> campag branded outers and shimano cassette.  Shifting is
> satisfactory.  All cables were renewed 16 months ago.  I commute daily
> in London UK. My instinct is to just leave it unless or until shfting
> performance suffers or there is a catastrophic failure.  Does anyone
> think that that is risky?
>
> best wishes
> james

James,

You most definitely need a new cable and housing set. Your shifting
performance has decreased slowly over time so you don't realize what
poor shifting you really do have.
What will happen is the cable and Teflon lining inside the housing
will hemorrhage out threw the worn area causing the dérailleur to fall
to the smallest cog.
If you commute daily you should replace your cables annually.
I don't know why so many people take less care of a commuter bike than
any other bike.
You still need to make it home. You know you will have a failure the
night you need to get home for a hot date. You end up a half an hour
late shes ****** and gone forever and your bike is still broken.
When you install a new cable and housing set then protect the housing
at the head tube preemptively.
When you do install the cable set use original campy parts because
they are better (less friction coefficient) and replace the bottom
bracket cable guide.
Your bike will shift like new.
Another commuting tip. Try commuting on a single speed. Less
maintenance, light and a blast to ride.
hope this helps.
Inahurry

"inahurry" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> If you commute daily you should replace your cables annually.

Bother, that's 3 or 4 replacements I've missed...

Of course I do carefully use SS cables - they seem to last rather better
than the old ones.

(In other words, beware of words such as "should")

clive

"inahurry" who? wrote:
> [...]
> You still need to make it home. You know you will have a failure the
> night you need to get home for a hot date. You end up a half an hour
> late shes ****** and gone forever and your bike is still broken.[...]

The first part is a blessing in disguise, and the second part can be
fixed for much less than the cost of a date at your LBS.

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 18:00:52 -0000, "Clive George"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"inahurry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>> If you commute daily you should replace your cables annually.

>Bother, that's 3 or 4 replacements I've missed...
>
>Of course I do carefully use SS cables - they seem to last rather better
>than the old ones.
>
>(In other words, beware of words such as "should")

Without disagreeing with your last note, perhaps the OP should take
this as a portent that the time to change cable and housing has come.
Parts would be $5-10 in the US, so that's still less than 10 pounds in
the UK, right? No big deal. Replace all your cables and housings for
less than the cost to park in London for a week!

Pat

Email address works as is.