Gear Cable Replacement Problem

McBain_v1

Feb 4, 2004
I'm building up an old frame and using some fairly old components (Shimano 600).

The project has been going well so far, but when it came to gear cable replacement I hit a snag.

I cannot extract the existing gear cable for the STI shifter that is to control the rear derailleur:mad:

What seems to have happened is that the small metal plug on the end of the gear cable has come out of its holder inside the lever mechanism, and become wedged somewhere. Amazingly the gear lever still works, but I need to get the old cable out!

I've moved the gear levers so that the small bracket in which the metal plug should rest is aligned with the hole in the lever casing, but all I can see is stretched cable.

Should I cut the cable, remove what I can and hope that the small bit with the metal plug on the end falls out of its own accord?
Is the entire lever a right-off?
Does the brake/shifter mechanism need total disassembly?

Any ace mechanics who are feeling helpful, feel free to jump in.

Originally posted by McBain_v1
I'm building up an old frame and using some fairly old components (Shimano 600).

The project has been going well so far, but when it came to gear cable replacement I hit a snag.

I cannot extract the existing gear cable for the STI shifter that is to control the rear derailleur:mad:

What seems to have happened is that the small metal plug on the end of the gear cable has come out of its holder inside the lever mechanism, and become wedged somewhere. Amazingly the gear lever still works, but I need to get the old cable out!

I've moved the gear levers so that the small bracket in which the metal plug should rest is aligned with the hole in the lever casing, but all I can see is stretched cable.

Should I cut the cable, remove what I can and hope that the small bit with the metal plug on the end falls out of its own accord?
Is the entire lever a right-off?
Does the brake/shifter mechanism need total disassembly?

Any ace mechanics who are feeling helpful, feel free to jump in.
If the cable end has indeed slipped it's mooring, the only soultion is PARTIAL disassembly of the mechanism to get it out. It is really unlikely to just fall out and more likely to get jammed even worse. Happend to me once.Sure helps to have the assemblly instructionsin order to get it back together again.