Gear carrying angst

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by kingsley, Dec 27, 2004.

  1. kingsley

    kingsley Guest

    Seeing on how it's nearly the new year, it's only 12 weeks
    'till be bugger off touring. Me, Larissa & the kids (6,4,1)
    hope to ride from Haarlem down to Brugge (on the LF1), across
    to Paris (no route yet), then out to Dijon, and down the
    Rhone valley to Marseilles... (unless I change my mind in
    the mean-time, we were reading today that the Rhone valley
    is quite industrial... *shrug*)

    Theoretically the alpha-daughter is going to ride a trailer-
    bike (probably more coast than ride). This means, however
    that we've lost the rack-top luggage area, since the arm
    for the trailer bike swings through this space.

    Last time we toured, we only had 2 brats, and they both went
    into the trailer. The person who was sans-trailer (we took it
    in turns) got the tent and heavy-bag lashed to the top of
    their rack (and I do mean lashed, it's damn heavy).

    So now we're left with the conundrum of how the hell to
    carry that extra weight?! Has anyone successfully put
    a rack on a trailer bike? I think it would just be too
    much to tow the kids AND get the heavy bags.

    Any sage advice ?

    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner,
    (mailto: [email protected])

    Tags:

  2. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003
    how about this for the other bike? It's made in Netherlands too!I'm getting one for my Air Friday.
    http://www.radicaldesign.nl/en/cyclone_trailers.html

  3. Bert L.am

    Bert L.am Guest

    "kingsley" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:p[email protected]

    > Seeing on how it's nearly the new year, it's only 12 weeks
    > 'till be bugger off touring. Me, Larissa & the kids (6,4,1)
    > hope to ride from Haarlem down to Brugge (on the LF1), across
    > to Paris (no route yet), then out to Dijon, and down the
    > Rhone valley to Marseilles... (unless I change my mind in
    > the mean-time, we were reading today that the Rhone valley
    > is quite industrial... *shrug*)

    Want to know what the wheather is like at the end of March in the low
    countries?

    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

  4. kingsley

    kingsley Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:03:55 +1100, ProfTournesol wrote:

    > how about this for the other bike? It's made in Netherlands too!I'm
    > getting one for my Air Friday.
    > http://www.radicaldesign.nl/en/cyclone_trailers.html

    Yeah but there's already a trailer behind each bike.
    One tows two kids, the other the trailer-bike.

    I have towed the lot, bike + trailer-bike + trailer
    but it's a bit too long for navigating around cities.
    Seems to turn ok though... *shrug*

    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner,
    (mailto: [email protected])
    http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ - news:aus.bicycle Frequenly Asked Questions

  5. kingsley

    kingsley Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:20:46 +0100, Bert L.am wrote:

    > Want to know what the weather is like at the end of March
    > in the low countries?

    We started out in Haarlem in 2002, but headed east along
    the Lek river into Arhnem, Limburg, Maastrict (then Strabourg,
    Colmar, Freiburg, Titisee, Munich).

    This time we're going to stick to the coast and the
    LF1 bikepath, then make it up from there as we go along.

    As to the weather - the weather will be beautiful. ;)

    cheers,
    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner,
    (mailto: [email protected])
    http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ - news:aus.bicycle Frequenly Asked Questions

  6. Bert L.am

    Bert L.am Guest

    "kingsley" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:20:46 +0100, Bert L.am wrote:
    >
    > > Want to know what the weather is like at the end of March
    > > in the low countries?

    > We started out in Haarlem in 2002, but headed east along
    > the Lek river into Arhnem, Limburg, Maastrict (then Strabourg,
    > Colmar, Freiburg, Titisee, Munich).
    >
    > This time we're going to stick to the coast and the
    > LF1 bikepath, then make it up from there as we go along.
    >
    > As to the weather - the weather will be beautiful. ;)
    >
    > cheers,
    > -kt

    Probably the sun will shine and without rain you will never see a rainbow.
    You will drop by, will you?

    Bert
    (OT & Real Unimportant BTW: Maastrict should be Maastricht and Strabourg is
    Strasbourg (Fr) or Strassburg (Ge).)

    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

  7. kingsley

    kingsley Guest

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:49:08 +0100, Bert L.am wrote:

    > Probably the sun will shine and without rain you will never see a rainbow.
    > You will drop by, will you?

    Dunno, how do you feel about 3 kids & my in-laws?! :)

    > (OT & Real Unimportant BTW: Maastrict should be Maastricht and Strabourg
    > is Strasbourg (Fr) or Strassburg (Ge).)

    'Strabourg' was a typo, but that explains why the
    locals pronounced it MahstriiicT! ;)
    and not (our) Marrh-strict

    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner,
    (mailto: [email protected])
    http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ - news:aus.bicycle Frequenly Asked Questions

  8. Bert L.am

    Bert L.am Guest

    "kingsley" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:49:08 +0100, Bert L.am wrote:
    >
    > > Probably the sun will shine and without rain you will never see a

    rainbow.
    > > You will drop by, will you?

    > Dunno, how do you feel about 3 kids & my in-laws?! :)

    No Problem. I have a big attick and al 7 of you can sleep there. Bikes can
    be parked in the garage.

    Bert

    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

  9. kingsley

    kingsley Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 21:23:03 +0100, Bert L.am wrote:

    > "kingsley" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    > news:p[email protected]
    >> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:49:08 +0100, Bert L.am wrote:
    >>
    >> > Probably the sun will shine and without rain you will never see a

    > rainbow.
    >> > You will drop by, will you?

    >> Dunno, how do you feel about 3 kids & my in-laws?! :)
    >>

    > No Problem. I have a big attick and al 7 of you can sleep there. Bikes can
    > be parked in the garage.

    Sounds good.

    Are you in the Warm Showers List ?

    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner,
    (mailto: [email protected])
    http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ - news:aus.bicycle Frequenly Asked Questions

  10. Bert L.am

    Bert L.am Guest

    "kingsley" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 21:23:03 +0100, Bert L.am wrote:
    >

    > > "kingsley" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    > > news:p[email protected]

    > > rainbow.
    > >>
    > >> Dunno, how do you feel about 3 kids & my in-laws?! :)
    > >>

    > > No Problem. I have a big attick and al 7 of you can sleep there. Bikes

    can
    > > be parked in the garage.

    > Sounds good.
    >
    > Are you in the Warm Showers List ?
    >
    > -kt

    No, we are only allowed to wash in the river Rhine.

    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

  11. Bert L.am