Gear damage, replacement advice requested.

oil27

Jan 12, 2004
My MTB began to forward pedal as I cruised along. So I want to replace the back gears on the back wheel. I have an old touring bike that may have a spare set of gears but how shall I remove the gears off the old wheel. The don't seem to come off. I think they are meant to screw off. Also are they compatible? How can I exchange them? Or can I fix the faulty gears?

oil27 said:
My MTB began to forward pedal as I cruised along. So I want to replace the back gears on the back wheel. I have an old touring bike that may have a spare set of gears but how shall I remove the gears off the old wheel. The don't seem to come off. I think they are meant to screw off. Also are they compatible? How can I exchange them? Or can I fix the faulty gears?
you may find that you'll require a campag tool and a chain whip, the chain whiop prevents the cog from turning why you exhert pressure to the lock ring using the campag tool.

you can in the tools you'll require on ebay.

oil27 said:
Take the whole mess to a bike shop.They should have the proper removal tools and can tell you if it's compatible.

closesupport said:
you may find that you'll require a campag tool and a chain whip, the chain whiop prevents the cog from turning why you exhert pressure to the lock ring using the campag tool.

you can in the tools you'll require on ebay.
D'oh?? Campy removal tool for a MTB??

closesupport said:
:)
Removes the lock ring on mine..Park Cassette Lockring Remover FR5C

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/default.asp?cat=cycling yip thats right, mines identical to this and yes it removes the lockring of both my MTB and my racer. also there is a chain whip on this site reasonable prices also, plus free delivery option.:)

:eek: so no D'oh
An FR5C is a shimano HG lockring removal tool and campy and shimano lockring tools don't iterchange. The campy tool is BBT-5. They both have 12 splines,but the campy splines are wider. Shimano tool also has a greater overall diameter.Maybe you use a 5 pound hammer to resolve misfit compatibility issues.I don't recommend it....LOL

boudreaux said:
An FR5C is a shimano HG lockring removal tool and campy and shimano lockring tools don't iterchange. The campy tool is BBT-5
mine has 2 ends, 1 side does shimano.. the other does campy....

so go figure. (Lock ring remover)....

closesupport said:
mine has 2 ends, 1 side does shimano.. the other does campy....

so go figure. (Lock ring remover)....
Maybe Park needs to update their site to include that puppy?

boudreaux said:
Maybe Park needs to update their site to include that puppy?
i bought it from halfords about 10yrs ago, cost me £26 also.

i have a park one that has lock ring remover along with the bottom bracket removal tool (sealed unit) on the other side. maye they need to add one of those also