Gear for One-year-old Cyclist?

ElPerro

May 8, 2004
Anybody have a suggestion for a good child seat? To avoid desecrating my LeMond, just got a good used Trek road bike that will be specifically used for taking the little guy out – and he is gonna love it! In any case, I have no experience in this area and have no idea which one to buy. Cost is not a concern, safety is the only issue.

Of course, I will also get him a good helmet, a cool jersey and some cool shades; but I think we’re gonna have to wait awhile for the bike shorts…..

ElPerro said:
Anybody have a suggestion for a good child seat? To avoid desecrating my LeMond, just got a good used Trek road bike that will be specifically used for taking the little guy out – and he is gonna love it! In any case, I have no experience in this area and have no idea which one to buy. Cost is not a concern, safety is the only issue.

Of course, I will also get him a good helmet, a cool jersey and some cool shades; but I think we’re gonna have to wait awhile for the bike shorts…..
I use a Topeak seat and it works very well (http://www.topeak.com/products/baby_lead.html). It's solid and secures the child in well, but it is pretty big. I put it on an old beater MTB so as to not desecrate my road bike as well. It will definitely make your intervals tougher, but your boy will love it.

I'd suggest you check to see if Consumer Reports has rated them. Or even a parenting magazine. I know the handlbar forward facing ones are quite dangerous (they're not available in the USA to my knowledge).

My little guy went onto a Adam Trail-A-Bike when he was about 3. I highly recommend them.

have fun!