Gear Holding Me Back???????????????

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by DirtTurtle, Oct 17, 2007.

1. DirtTurtle

DirtTurtle New Member

After few delays, finally starting to race in a few weeks. Only of course low grades, with distances of 30-50km. Sad part is atm with no money, im running 8speed 600 with heavy shimano 500's. I was just curious whether that setup is really gonna b a disadvantage to me when they are running a lot better gear, or whether i can counteract with this with added fitness and wont notice because of the lower grade.

Also if they're are any aussies or people who are clued in, what sort of price would i be looking at for a bike in anticipation of racing B or A grade if or when i get get fit enough.

Tags:

2. capwater

capwater New Member

It's the engine.

3. DirtTurtle

DirtTurtle New Member

considering i havnt started racing yet that is quite an assumption

4. threaded

threaded New Member

The assumption is valid because you haven't started racing yet. :p

Racing is a quite different skill to going out and riding fast for fun. There's a story about a famous pro cyclist who was practising through a little village and an old guy on a commuter bike passed him, and it took all the pro's ability just to keep up.

Anyways, register at the lowest grade, as you can move up grades, but you can't move down. (I stand ready to be corrected on this point)

5. Eden

Eden New Member

Lets clarify then. If you are out and getting dropped in every race, getting a fancy, new, light bike probably won't change that. If you are out and you keep getting second place, a fancy, new, light bike may very well be your ticket to a win.

Most of the changes you make in equipment will show small changes in performance. Sometimes a small change is exactly what is needed, sometimes a small change won't help.

6. Eden

Eden New Member

Lets clarify then. If you are out and getting dropped in every race, getting a fancy, new, light bike probably won't change that. If you are out and you keep getting second place, a fancy, new, light bike may very well be your ticket to a win.

Most of the changes you make in equipment will show small changes in performance. Sometimes a small change is exactly what is needed, sometimes a small change won't help. The one thing I think is an exception to this is going from an ill fitting bike to one that really fits. You can see tremendous gains if you've been riding a bike thats the wrong size and you go to one that fits properly (well at least I did).

7. DirtTurtle

DirtTurtle New Member

ah cheers m8 thats the kind of reply i wanted to hear. Seems as you said shouldnt be a major issue, and since i love the feel of the bike, im sure all will be well. Because im starting out its helpfull i know, now if i do get dropped i know its good chance its 99% to do with myself, and therefore just train harder rather than going through the continous mental process of blaming the bike

8. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

I have never raced, but I would add to the encouragement from the earlier message based on my readings from here and elsewhere.

If you are continually close and just not quite able to win, then the few pounds might make a difference... but until then your biggest hurdle is to overcome the thought that your biggest hurdle is not having the best equipment.

I strongly suspect that if you really deserve to be in higher category races, a substandard bike is not what will keep you from being there.

Work on your strength, endurance, tactics and technique, and once you get some wins you will find a way to get the equipment when you get close enough to wins in the higher categories.

Maybe you can even network with other racers and see if you can slowly upgrade by buying their old stuff as they upgrade.

9. DirtTurtle

DirtTurtle New Member

Right on the spot there, thats what i was getting at. Might also be an idea as you said to try and pick up cheaper 2nds.

10. Halcyon1

Halcyon1 New Member

I started racing last January when I thought I was getting fit enough.
    The first race was a real kick in the guts - I just wasn't in the same league as the other guys. I can now beat a lot of them.
    Train and learn and keep at it.
    As for how much to spend, well that is a moot point, but as a starting point somewhere around A$2000 will get you well into it. You should aim for Shimano 105 level of gear or similar in Campy at least,
    Halcyon1

11. capwater

capwater New Member

OK, so you didn't get my initial point. What I'm saying here, as others have echoed, is your equipment is bt far the smallest limiting factor to you progressing. Fitness, training and race experience will rule over a few grams here and there. I'm no great racer, just a 40 plus/cat3 guy, but I race on 105 9-speed equipped bikes with $200 wheels and routinely spank guys on Campy Record equipped Colnagos. I also get my but handed to me on group rides by a 60 year old guy riding shimano 8 speed stuff.

It's the engine.

12. strader

strader New Member

The most important thing is that your bike is safe. Don't even think about racing with out-of-true rims, old tires worn to the cords, a loose headset, crack in the frame, broken spoke, brakes that don't work, tires way over-inflated or under-inflated, frayed brake cables, or any of the other countless problems that creep up on bikes of any price. Learn to maintain and inspect your own equipment, even if you pay someone else to do the wrenching.
    If you haven't already I would recommend buying a good set of tires such as Continental GP4000s or Michelin Pro2 Race. A good set of tires will grip better (safer), and have lower rolling resistance (faster).
    FWIW, I race on a 10 year old cyclocross bike with a 8 speed low-end Campagnolo drivetrain.

13. DirtTurtle

DirtTurtle New Member

Sry capwater just got a bit defensive thought u were being a smartass, comming on here, asking for advice then "thinking" sum1 was just having a go made me think is it worth asking at all (know its not the case now).

The gear i got on the bike is pretty good, use wise its only a year old and its 600 which i think is roughly the same as ultegra now. It is a biopace chainring though, which ive heard is often bad if ur doing anything but a TT, i find it ok though.

Well i least im right in the tire department got pro race 2's, originally had pro lites and also liked those :).

14. Tim Lamkin

Tim Lamkin New Member

Spot on

15. capwater

capwater New Member

I can be a smartazz sometimes, but my advice is still sound! Ha, ha, ha. Pro race 2 are great rubber, race them all the time. If I'm not mistaken, those biopace rings are slightly oval in nature. Back in the day it was sort of an experiment. I'd go with a traditional setup. Keep on rolling!

16. JaysonM

JaysonM New Member

17. DirtTurtle

DirtTurtle New Member

just what dad had, brought it cheap new when 9/10 speeds hit.