Gear Hunting.....

Scubasteve2365

Aug 26, 2013
Hello,

I'm a very new cyclist. Like, under 100 miles kind of newb. I recently picked up a used road bike, older generation, aluminum frame. It's not so old that the gear shifting is downtube and are up on the handlebars but the gear shifters work in principle the same way my cheap Huffy mountain bike 20 years ago that rode as a kid. I've found that I spend a lot of time tweaking the position of the gear levers so that the chain isn't rubbing on the positioning mechanics.

I know some of the more modern bikes have the gear shifters integrated into the brake levers that I'm assuming has some additional mechanics for more accurate positioning. I'm under the understanding that a user just clicks to go down a single gear, clicks twice to go down two gears, ect.

Considering my bike is a POS I really don't want to invest into it. I only bought it to make sure I was going to get invested into the hobby. I am a runner and am seeking to do some triathlons, once I know I'm going to stick with it I will have no reservations about buying a better modern bike. In the interim though, are there some cheap gear shifters that one can buy that will cut down on some if this constant hunting and adjusting I'm having to do? I don't really have a budget in mind as I don't know what a starting cost would be.

I'm not sure what to search (brands, models, ect).

Thanks,

Are your downtube shifters friction (no stops) or indexed? Indexed friction shifters should work as well as integrated brake shifters.

You can replace non-indexed downtube shifters for an indexed set pretty cheaply. Though your bike may be due for other new parts (chain, cassette, derailleurs, etc. ) depending on its condition.

The OP has shifters that are mounted on the handlebars.

They work the same as a 20-year old Mtb. bike.

He's constantly 'tweaking' the position of the gear levers.

I'll go out on a limb here and toss a guess that the OP has a stem-mounted friction setup. You could install a set of indexed shifters, but there would be no guarantee they would even work if the derailleurs are cheap friction mechanisms. In fact, index shifting will probably not work if that is the case.

Steve, can you post a couple of pictures of your current shifters, derailleurs and maybe the cassette gear cluster?

I'm going to advise you to have your bike tuned up or at least inspected. You say it's an older, used bike. It may be low quality, it may be worn, it may need a couple of cheap parts replaced. It almost certainly can be adjusted to shift better and with less playing around with the gear levers.

Speaking of which, I don't know much shifting you've done or how many miles you've put on this bike (100 miles total, all done on this bike is not many, but perhaps you've found an area that needs attention), but some of your shifting issue may be a familiarity/experience based problem. All friction systems take 'some' tuning of the derailleur positions. It always did and will take a bit of skill to ride a friction system well. That's the main reason, i would suppose, the index system was invented and became so popular.

I could be completely off track and the OP has a poorly functioning index system...but I doubt it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Scubasteve2365 . I'm not sure what to search (brands, models, ect).

Well, we aren't either. So why not get yourself down to a local bike shop, get to know some people there, and test ride a couple bikes. You'll be pleasantly surprised.