Gear overhaul with mixed parts

simmoclayto

Oct 1, 2005
Hi guys

I'm looking at upgrading some of my parts on my bike. I am going to keep the Ultegra shifters and was wondering if i get a new crankset (FSA SLK) does that mean i have to replace the front and rear derailleurs?? I know the cassette and chain will have to be replaced as i have done roughly 3500kms on the bike.

Also is it do-able to have Ultegra shifters and a Campag record rear deraileur?? will they comply together?? and also with the FSA crankset??

CHeers

Simon

No problem on the cranks. Not sure about the Campy RD, but most deraillers are essentially "dumb" in that they do only what the shifter tells them to do.

If you wish to use a cassette/hub with the same number of sprocket (or fewer) with a derailer/shifter of a different system, you may need to replace some of the spacers to change the spacing of the cassette. Modern indexing systems are so forgiving, however, that many theoretically incompatible combinations actually work fairly well.
In particular, for reasons that are not quite clear, 9-speed hubs/cassettes seem to work pretty well with the opposite 9-speed derailer/shifter brand.

--Sheldon Brown

To see the numbers look HERE

Unless you are experiencing any problems with it, your cassette should be absolutely fine after 3.5k kms. Depending on the chain and your maintenance of it, it may last you quite some time longer as well.

ok then, does that mean i can change the shifters from ultegra to chorus? without changing any other parts??

Cheers

Simon

Xsmoker said:
If you wish to use a cassette/hub with the same number of sprocket (or fewer) with a derailer/shifter of a different system, you may need to replace some of the spacers to change the spacing of the cassette. Modern indexing systems are so forgiving, however, that many theoretically incompatible combinations actually work fairly well.
In particular, for reasons that are not quite clear, 9-speed hubs/cassettes seem to work pretty well with the opposite 9-speed derailer/shifter brand.

--Sheldon Brown

To see the numbers look HERE