Gear Question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jason Frost, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Jason Frost

    Jason Frost Guest

    On my 27 speed Mountain Bike, can I use the top gear, ie the chain in the biggest ring at the front,
    and on the smallest gear on the rear without wearing out the chain or any rubbing.

    I have only gone as far the 3rd last cog on the back, and I am sometimes peddalling to fast, I
    really want to use the 2 extra gears.

    Thanks Jason.

    Tags:

  2. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Jason Frost wrote:
    > On my 27 speed Mountain Bike, can I use the top gear, ie the chain in the biggest ring at the
    > front, and on the smallest gear on the rear without wearing out the chain or any rubbing.

    Yes.

    > I have only gone as far the 3rd last cog on the back, and I am sometimes peddalling to fast, I
    > really want to use the 2 extra gears.

    What's stopping you? (Besides your brakes.)

    Bill "87.6% of time in middle ring, but all over the cogset" S.

  3. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    Cross chaining as you have described is really not recommended (Though a lot of people still do it) it will add to the wear of your drive train, so why not just make an extra shift or two. As far as rubbing on the Dérailleur, you may be able to trim it out, but it will show up again while out of the saddle climbing etc. so just shift ahead of time...