Gear ratios

alistairrs

Sep 19, 2005
I have 2 choices of cassette for my bike at the moment its 23/12 would you go for 26/13 or 28/14 the race involves 2500m of climbing over 112 :eek: miles

I bet you that 60 miles into the race you're not going to think "gee I wish a had a smaller gear to get up this hill".

Go with the 14-28

13-26T should be just fine. :rolleyes:

alistairrs said:
I have 2 choices of cassette for my bike at the moment its 23/12 would you go for 26/13 or 28/14 the race involves 2500m of climbing over 112 :eek: miles

alistairrs said:
It's really a question that only you can answer because it all depends on the motor. If in doubt, I'd always opt for the easier hill climb gear.

alistairrs said:
Restack the cogs you have to and give yourself a 12-28 cassette ... based on MY tests, an 8-tooth jump is easily handled, so if your 28t is not attached to a spider, you can swap it for the 19t (or 14t, or 15t or whatever!?!) in your current cassette ... 12-13-n-...-17-23-28. I briefly had a 28t cog stacked onto what was originally a 12-23 Campagnolo cassette and I thought it the shifting was fine between the 23t & 28t cogs -- your results/demands may vary!

If the 28t is attached to a spider, then just restack the "smaller" cogs with the ones you want ... 12-14-etc. OR 13-14-etc. OR 13-15-etc.

If you've got a Shimano/-compatible crank, consider getting a 38t chainring because if you're bailing out onto the 28t (or, 26t), then the little bit of difference will undoubtedly help you.

If you have to ask, I suspect the answer is 14/28.

Restacking only works if the cogs are worn the same or are new.

alistairrs said:

Nobody can answer this for you as only you know your fitness level. However, I agree with oselize that if you have to ask, then you better go for the easier gear combination.

ozelise said:
Restacking only works if the cogs are worn the same or are new.
Ozelise may be right, in theory, but my experience stacking what I would consider to be a worn (one cog is shark-toothed) 11t cog on a cassette is that the chain does not slip on it (oh yes, I guess it means that I like to live dangerously).

I've stacked other combinations from disparate cassettes, and haven't had a problem with the chain jumping off or doing anything weird. Again, your results may vary.

If you do restack your cassette, try it BEFORE the race!

2500m of climbing also means 2500m of descending. Don't give up your speed gearing for climbing unless you have to, or have made the decision to coast on downhills.

Why not consider a smaller inner chainring up front?

:rolleyes: thanks for the advice

I 'm from an area of the Uk called south Holland so the advice is v. wellcome

Unless you live around some seriously steep( ie 1 in 5+) climbs a 26 sprocket is more than adequate. This is unless you are extremely weak or heavy, but given you are doing 112miles I doubt either apply.