Gear Ratios

Great Eastern

Guest
Forgive the ignorance, but would a 14-28 result in a higher hear in the
smallest cog than a 14-24?

Great Eastern wrote:
> Forgive the ignorance, but would a 14-28 result in a higher hear in the
> smallest cog than a 14-24?

The smallest cog in both cases is 14, so the gear is the same in both cases.

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 19:41:45 +0000, Great Eastern <[email protected]> wrote:

>Forgive the ignorance, but would a 14-28 result in a higher hear in the
>smallest cog than a 14-24?

No, they would be the same.

Eric wrote:
> No, they would be the same.

Ah, I'm evidently looking at it the wrong way around, the 14-28 then
would be lower in lowest than 14-24?

Great Eastern wrote:
> Eric wrote:
>> No, they would be the same.

> Ah, I'm evidently looking at it the wrong way around, the 14-28 then
> would be lower in lowest than 14-24?

Yes. The difference (with a typical chainset, etc) is significant and worth
getting if you do/would find hill climbing a struggle with a 24.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Yes. The difference (with a typical chainset, etc) is significant and worth
> getting if you do/would find hill climbing a struggle with a 24.

Thanks, I believe my current one is a 24 and that's no problem.

I've often wondered what these MegaRange things were like to ride with
the 34 on the low gear. They seemed rather unnecessary for 6 speed
freewheels that they were/are on....!

Great Eastern wrote:
> Pete Biggs wrote:
>> Yes. The difference (with a typical chainset, etc) is significant and
>> worth getting if you do/would find hill climbing a struggle with a 24.

> Thanks, I believe my current one is a 24 and that's no problem.
>

> I've often wondered what these MegaRange things were like to ride with
> the 34 on the low gear. They seemed rather unnecessary for 6 speed
> freewheels that they were/are on....!

I use mine all the time, with a 22 on the front. Very useful for towing
a trailer load of camping gear round the Lake District.

Great Eastern said the following on 31/01/2007 21:26:

> I've often wondered what these MegaRange things were like to ride with
> the 34 on the low gear. They seemed rather unnecessary for 6 speed
> freewheels that they were/are on....!

What puts me off with the Megarange specifically is not so much the 34T,
but the huge jump up to that gear. My MTB has a 32T biggest sprocket,
but it's a much smoother run up from the 11T smallest. This is coupled
with a 24/36 front, and is fine for winching myself up cliff-faces :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

in message <[email protected]>, Great
Eastern ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Pete Biggs wrote:
>> Yes. The difference (with a typical chainset, etc) is significant and
>> worth getting if you do/would find hill climbing a struggle with a 24.

> Thanks, I believe my current one is a 24 and that's no problem.
>
> I've often wondered what these MegaRange things were like to ride with
> the 34 on the low gear. They seemed rather unnecessary for 6 speed
> freewheels that they were/are on....!

Depends where you are and how much gear you're carrying. Here we have a lot
of big hills but the gradients are on the whole not steep; I use a 53/39
double on the front and a 13/29 on the back, but my bikes are light and I
don't currently bring shopping home by bike. But in (e.g.) Devon, where
the gradients are steeper, I would really struggle. And if I were bringing
a week's shopping home on the bike, I'd probably change my route to the
longer-but-flatter one that I don't now normally use.

For office use only. Please do not write or type below this line.

Paul Boyd wrote:

> What puts me off with the Megarange specifically is not so much the 34T,
> but the huge jump up to that gear. My MTB has a 32T biggest sprocket,
> but it's a much smoother run up from the 11T smallest. This is coupled
> with a 24/36 front, and is fine for winching myself up cliff-faces :)

I agree with this concern. The 'bent has an 11-34 rear cassette with
fairly even jumps, and the 34 does get used and is appreciated, but I
had a MegaRange on a hire bike in Vancouver (which has some vintage
quality hills!) and I found it very annoying that 1st had been replaced
with a 0th, so changing down from 2nd led to a huge change which robbed
me of a lot of my momentum. I'd prefer a slight increase in all of the
jumps for a general purpose bike.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

In news:[email protected],
Peter Clinch <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:
> Paul Boyd wrote:
>
>> What puts me off with the Megarange specifically is not so much the
>> 34T, but the huge jump up to that gear. My MTB has a 32T biggest
>> sprocket, but it's a much smoother run up from the 11T smallest. This is
>> coupled with a 24/36 front, and is fine for winching myself
>> up cliff-faces :)

> I agree with this concern. The 'bent has an 11-34 rear cassette with
> fairly even jumps, and the 34 does get used and is appreciated, but I
> had a MegaRange on a hire bike in Vancouver (which has some vintage
> quality hills!) and I found it very annoying that 1st had been
> replaced with a 0th, so changing down from 2nd led to a huge change
> which robbed me of a lot of my momentum.

AOL. Although there is a big jump smack in the middle of the normal
cruising range on the 11-34s on both Speedmachine & Trice. I am stockpiling
parts for a rebuild of the latter's transmission, and one of the first bits
obtained is a SRAM 11-34 cassette, which seems to have slightly nicer
increments.

I used to think a "corn-cob plus underdrive" would be a Good Thing, until I
tried it...

--
Dave Larrington
Is it an Audi A4?

Dave Larrington wrote:

> I used to think a "corn-cob plus underdrive" would be a Good Thing, until I
> tried it...

I'm currently thinking a corn cob (or at least more of a corn cob than
an 11-34) with no underdrive allied to an MTBish front triple might be
the thing to do when I've worn the current set out. It certainly won't
keep 52/42/30 on the front, which gives a barkingly silly high gear.

Or a Rohloff, if the boat comes in...

Pete.