Gear Selector Cable Housing

mre

Oct 14, 2003
Has anyone seen a derailleur housing with the current gear selection visible on the housing? I've seen a couple of bikes with this feature, but I can't find the housings as an after market product. I probably can't find them because I don't know what to call them.

Originally posted by mre
Has anyone seen a derailleur housing with the current gear selection visible on the housing? I've seen a couple of bikes with this feature, but I can't find the housings as an after market product. I probably can't find them because I don't know what to call them.
They come with shimano shifter cable sets on some road groups.A LBS may have some extras lying around. They are not an integral part of the casing.

Originally posted by mre

The Shimano gear indicator comes with the STI shifters. They are separate from the cable housing, you have to actually install them inline with the rear derailleur cable. I don't think you can buy the indicators on their own. Try asking a LBS, they may have some laying around from bike assembly - not everyone uses them.

Tech72

To Boudreaux and Tech72,
Thanks for the lead. I'll check with my lbs.

Originally posted by Tech72
The Shimano gear indicator comes with the STI shifters. They are separate from the cable housing, you have to actually install them inline with the rear derailleur cable. I don't think you can buy the indicators on their own. Try asking a LBS, they may have some laying around from bike assembly - not everyone uses them.

Tech72

Yeah - that's it. Good for any Shimano 9-speed. I'm not sure how useful they are, there's just an H and an L with some hash marks between them. I didn't put mine on.

yeah, i wasnt sure what it was for, my dura ace stuff i got from a friend, so it didnt have the indicator, and i figured i didnt need it, im normally pretty sure what geam im in, ya know? and if not, i just look down! lol