Gear Setup After Triple to Double Conversion

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by genedan, Feb 15, 2010.

1. genedan

genedan New Member

Hey,

So we've got this SWEET deal on our team that where we get GF Cronus Ultimates/SRAM Red from Mellow Johnny's for $2270. Unfortunately I still couldn't afford that, but a GENEROUS benefactor has graciously lent me his unused Ultegra/Double bike for the time being.

So, I currently ride a triple crankset with a 30/42/52 along with a 12/26 Cassette. There are some climbs in Austin that require me to use the lowest gear, but I've recently been able to use the 30-23 and 30-21 combos for most of the hard climbs. I have a feeling that I'll sorely miss the granny ring, but since everyone else doesn't have one and can climb, I figure I can too if I had a good setup.

The Trek 1000 I currently ride weighs about 25 pounds, maybe even 30 with two full water bottles+food. I'm expecting the Fuji Marseille I'll be riding to be maybe 3-5 pounds lighter, which might make it easier to get used to the double.

Do you think I can handle a 52/39 with a 12-26 or 11-25? Or would a 50/34 with a 11-23 be suitable for racing? Other suggestions welcome.

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

You shouldn't worry about what other people are using ...

BTW. A 39t chainring with a 30t cog is about equal to a 30t chainring and a 23t cog ... so you decide; or, you'll certanly know after the first ride-or-two!

You may need-or-want to buy a new cassette OR cannibalize the 28t or 32t cog from a 9-speed 11-32 LX cassette & restack whatever cassette you use with it.

3. Akadat

Akadat New Member

You will acclimatize to what you have. Depends on the climate most suited to you.

A 3rd chainring is only a fourth of a water bottle. Having one is more a bonus than a detriment for those odd occasions.