gear shift response problems

danielstevens

Mar 28, 2003
Hello

I have very little knowledge on bike maintenance in general so please forgive any technical errors…….

I took my Trek 7100fx to be repaired after a small bang – needed a new back wheel and I was told – a gear service.

I picked it up yesterday and immediately noticed that the gear change was unresponsive, usually one click on the up shift and the gear changes, but a lot of the time its taking two or even three clicks to get it to shift (both up and down) Also noticed that the gears are slipping now and again and the chain sometimes does not sit perfectly on the cogs. I took it back to the shop this morning and the guy tweaked something and it is now better, but still not as it was before the bang,, it’s still taking two clicks to get the gears to shift a lot of the time.

Should I take the bike back and tell the guy its still not as I want it, or can reasonably expect the gear shift not to be perfect? The irony is there was a massive amount of gunk on the chain and other areas that’s now all been cleaned up but I preferred it with the gunk on as the shift was better!

Many thanks for thoughts on this

Dan.

I would go back and tell them that it isn't working - I assume they charged you a fair wack for the work. Last time my bike was tweaked, the gear change was perfectly crisp....