Gear to keep my chain on while landing hard

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by joshua746, Oct 30, 2006.

1. joshua746

joshua746 New Member

Hey, I'm new to the forum and I have a question. My chain downshifts and falls off when I either land hard from a jump or just come down hard. I have a 24 speed raleigh that was recently tuned up. Does this sound like a hardware problem, or could this just be bad technique? It has front, but not rear suspension.
    Thanks..

Tags:

2. garage sale GT

garage sale GT New Member

Are you sure your derailleur's not sticking a little bit? I am referring to the spring which tensions the chain. It sounds like your chain tension might be a bit weak.

3. joshua746

joshua746 New Member

You know, I am not sure. Is there a way to test the tension? And if it is too low, does that mean I should get a new rear derailleur? Do you ever experience this problem with your bike?

4. garage sale GT

garage sale GT New Member

It's actually kind of an assumption. The only test I would know would be to compare it to another bike. I would only suspect it if your derailleur was grungy or old or if maybe salt got into it and the spring rusted through.

Just find another derailleur bike and see how much chain tension there is.

5. Archibald

Archibald New Member

to test your chain tension, big chainring, lowest rear gear - should be almost no play in it at all (from what i'm told)...

6. bigpedaler

bigpedaler New Member

this is true -- big ring front, biggest cog rear (granny gear), should just about tie up the derailleur, pulley cage almost all the way forward. if it doesn't, have someone w/ experience check your chain length.

landing technique has a bit to do with it, too, which is why i don't do it! check the guys who fly regularly -- Schley, Wade, Bearclaw, Watson -- they all run CHAINGUIDES, which keep 98% of chaindrop from happening. but i don't know of any chainguides hat work w/ 3-ring cranks.