Gearing on replacement bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Raptor

Watching Zabel get up from his crash at the end of today's stage, I see that he had to crank pretty
hard to get the gear turning. Seemed about right for a flat stage. (BTW, it looked to me like Zabel
just went down on a paint stripe. Not quite close enough for contact, not that it matters.)

It seems a simple enough problem not requiring a lot of mental effort, but is there much thought
given be team mechs to the gearing on the replacement bikes they carry, and the gear they are set in
when pulled off the rack?

--
--
Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Watching Zabel get up from his crash at the end of today's stage, I see that he had to crank
> pretty hard to get the gear turning. Seemed about right for a flat stage. (BTW, it looked to me
> like Zabel just went down on a paint stripe. Not quite close enough for contact, not that it
> matters.)
>
> It seems a simple enough problem not requiring a lot of mental effort, but is there much thought
> given be team mechs to the gearing on the replacement bikes they carry, and the gear they are set
> in when pulled off the rack?
--
> --
> Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
> could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
> in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.
>

The gearing on the replacement bikes is the same it is on the bikes the riders start with that day.

I would take Zabels slow start up more on the fact that he had just crashed rather than the bike
being in a gear that was a little too big. Also, he knew he had no chance to get back up to the
front so why go sprinting off like a mad man. He has no GC aspirations.

Wade

Wow 7 mins down on the day, didn't think he fell that far behind!

"Wade Summers" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:vHHPa.1313$b_4.1091@lakeread07...
>
> "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Watching Zabel get up from his crash at the end of today's stage, I see that he had to crank
> > pretty hard to get the gear turning. Seemed about right for a flat stage. (BTW, it looked to me
> > like Zabel just went down on a paint stripe. Not quite close enough for contact, not that it
> > matters.)
> >
> > It seems a simple enough problem not requiring a lot of mental effort, but is there much thought
> > given be team mechs to the gearing on the replacement bikes they carry, and the gear they are
> > set in when pulled off the rack?
> --
> > --
> > Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything
> > we could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
> > --Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.
> >
>
> The gearing on the replacement bikes is the same it is on the bikes the riders start with
> that day.
>
> I would take Zabels slow start up more on the fact that he had just
crashed
> rather than the bike being in a gear that was a little too big. Also, he knew he had no chance to
> get back up to the front so why go sprinting off like a mad man. He has no GC aspirations.
>
> Wade

Status
Not open for further replies.