Gearing on steep Giro climbs

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Anonymous, Jun 5, 2003.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Tags:

  2. Jim Edgar

    Jim Edgar Guest

    > I came across this interesting pic on Cyclingnews.com...
    >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/giro.php?id=photos/2003/tech/features/zoncolan/popo colnagodetail
    >
    > 39x30 for the Monte Zoncolan stage in this year's Giro, for one rider at least. 13.5% over the
    > last 8km is considered the killer section on the grade, from info I gleaned on the net.

    13.5% was the average, with points reaching into the low 20's (IIRC - 22%). Desperately steep stuff.

  3. Jim Edgar

    Jim Edgar Guest

    Jim Edgar at [email protected] wrote on 6/5/03 4:54 PM:

    >> I came across this interesting pic on Cyclingnews.com...

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/giro.php?id=photos/2003/tech/features/zoncolan/po
    p>> o
    >> colnagodetail
    >>
    >> 39x30 for the Monte Zoncolan stage in this year's Giro, for one rider at least. 13.5% over the
    >> last 8km is considered the killer section on the grade, from info I gleaned on the net.
    >
    > 13.5% was the average, with points reaching into the low 20's (IIRC - 22%). Desperately steep
    > stuff.

    OOOPS - checked the notes...

    http://www.cyclofiend.com http://lists.cyclofiend.com/pipermail/race-report/2003-May/000024.html >

    "...climb of 13 kilometers, the riders encounter Monte Zoncolan, which has never been used in the
    Giro (or any other races in memory) with around 4,000 feet of climbing @ 9% average, the last
    kilometer of 22% average, with pitches to 27 % in that stretch. Some riders have fitted triples,
    Francesco Casagrande has reportedly figured out a way to mount a 30 tooth _front_ chainring to
    his bikes"

    ..now 27%, that'll make you see pink ducks...

  4. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Jim Edgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB05291F.45864%[email protected]...
    > Jim Edgar at [email protected] wrote on 6/5/03 4:54 PM:
    >

    > >> I came across this interesting pic on Cyclingnews.com...

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/giro.php?id=photos/2003/tech/features/zoncolan/po
    > p>> o
    > >> colnagodetail
    > >>
    > >> 39x30 for the Monte Zoncolan stage in this year's Giro, for one rider at least. 13.5% over the
    > >> last 8km is considered the killer section on the grade, from info I gleaned on the net.
    > >
    > > 13.5% was the average, with points reaching into the low 20's (IIRC -
    22%).
    > > Desperately steep stuff.
    > >
    > OOOPS - checked the notes...
    >
    > http://www.cyclofiend.com http://lists.cyclofiend.com/pipermail/race-report/2003-May/000024.html >
    >
    > "...climb of 13 kilometers, the riders encounter Monte Zoncolan, which has never been used in the
    > Giro (or any other races in memory) with around 4,000 feet of climbing @ 9% average, the last
    > kilometer of 22% average, with pitches to 27 % in that stretch. Some riders have fitted triples,
    > Francesco Casagrande has reportedly figured out a way to mount a 30 tooth _front_ chainring to
    > his bikes"
    >
    > ..now 27%, that'll make you see pink ducks...

    If you ran mountain cranks, you could get a raceface 22t front ring ;)

    Jon Bond

  5. On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 04:06:08 +0000, Jon Bond wrote:

    > If you ran mountain cranks, you could get a raceface 22t front ring ;)

    58mm rings go down to 20.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand _`\(,_ | mathematics. (_)/ (_) |

  6. 30x26

    30x26 Guest

    http://www.salite.ch/zoncolan.htm

    --