Gearing on steep Giro climbs

> I came across this interesting pic on Cyclingnews.com...
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/giro.php?id=photos/2003/tech/features/zoncolan/popo colnagodetail
>
> 39x30 for the Monte Zoncolan stage in this year's Giro, for one rider at least. 13.5% over the
> last 8km is considered the killer section on the grade, from info I gleaned on the net.

13.5% was the average, with points reaching into the low 20's (IIRC - 22%). Desperately steep stuff.

Jim Edgar at [email protected] wrote on 6/5/03 4:54 PM:

>> I came across this interesting pic on Cyclingnews.com...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/giro.php?id=photos/2003/tech/features/zoncolan/po
p>> o
>> colnagodetail
>>
>> 39x30 for the Monte Zoncolan stage in this year's Giro, for one rider at least. 13.5% over the
>> last 8km is considered the killer section on the grade, from info I gleaned on the net.
>
> 13.5% was the average, with points reaching into the low 20's (IIRC - 22%). Desperately steep
> stuff.

OOOPS - checked the notes...

http://www.cyclofiend.com http://lists.cyclofiend.com/pipermail/race-report/2003-May/000024.html >

"...climb of 13 kilometers, the riders encounter Monte Zoncolan, which has never been used in the
Giro (or any other races in memory) with around 4,000 feet of climbing @ 9% average, the last
kilometer of 22% average, with pitches to 27 % in that stretch. Some riders have fitted triples,
Francesco Casagrande has reportedly figured out a way to mount a 30 tooth _front_ chainring to
his bikes"

..now 27%, that'll make you see pink ducks...

"Jim Edgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB05291F.45864%[email protected]...
> Jim Edgar at [email protected] wrote on 6/5/03 4:54 PM:
>

> >> I came across this interesting pic on Cyclingnews.com...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/giro.php?id=photos/2003/tech/features/zoncolan/po
> p>> o
> >> colnagodetail
> >>
> >> 39x30 for the Monte Zoncolan stage in this year's Giro, for one rider at least. 13.5% over the
> >> last 8km is considered the killer section on the grade, from info I gleaned on the net.
> >
> > 13.5% was the average, with points reaching into the low 20's (IIRC -
22%).
> > Desperately steep stuff.
> >
> OOOPS - checked the notes...
>
> http://www.cyclofiend.com http://lists.cyclofiend.com/pipermail/race-report/2003-May/000024.html >
>
> "...climb of 13 kilometers, the riders encounter Monte Zoncolan, which has never been used in the
> Giro (or any other races in memory) with around 4,000 feet of climbing @ 9% average, the last
> kilometer of 22% average, with pitches to 27 % in that stretch. Some riders have fitted triples,
> Francesco Casagrande has reportedly figured out a way to mount a 30 tooth _front_ chainring to
> his bikes"
>
> ..now 27%, that'll make you see pink ducks...

If you ran mountain cranks, you could get a raceface 22t front ring ;)

Jon Bond

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 04:06:08 +0000, Jon Bond wrote:

> If you ran mountain cranks, you could get a raceface 22t front ring ;)

58mm rings go down to 20.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand _`\(,_ | mathematics. (_)/ (_) |