Gearing query...

Renormalize

Guest
I currently ride a recumbent bike with an ATB non-compact drivetrain (48-36-24 triple crank with an
8-speed 11-28 cassette on a 700C drive wheel) giving me a 23-117 gear-inch range. Being of a certain
age, I rarely use the highest gears, but really appreciate the low-end on hills.

I'm thinking of moving up to a lighter dual 650C recumbent, and with 10-speed cassettes available,
I'm wondering if I can save weight and get away with a double-chainring road drivetrain? The FSA 50-
34 compact carbon crank looks intriguing and works with Campagnolo components (I've always coveted a
Campy-equipped bike!). The FSA crank mated with a Campagnolo 13-29 cassette gives a range of 28"-
94", but I'd really like to get the low-end down to 25" or so, and maybe raise the high-end to 100"
or more. So is it possible to put less than a 34 tooth ring on a 110mm BCD crank? Or could I cobble
together a custom 12-30 or even 11-32 10-speed cassette and find a derailer to shift it?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

A shy person wrote:

> I currently ride a recumbent bike with an ATB non-compact drivetrain (48-36-24 triple crank with
> an 8-speed 11-28 cassette on a 700C drive wheel) giving me a 23-117 gear-inch range. Being of a
> certain age, I rarely use the highest gears, but really appreciate the low-end on hills.
>
> I'm thinking of moving up to a lighter dual 650C recumbent, and with 10-speed cassettes available,
> I'm wondering if I can save weight and get away with a double-chainring road drivetrain? The FSA
> 50-34 compact carbon crank looks intriguing and works with Campagnolo components (I've always
> coveted a Campy-equipped bike!). The FSA crank mated with a Campagnolo 13-29 cassette gives a
> range of 28"-94", but I'd really like to get the low-end down to 25" or so, and maybe raise the
> high-end to 100" or more. So is it possible to put less than a 34 tooth ring on a 110mm BCD crank?

33 is the smallest for the 110 mm BCD.

You might consider a TA Cyclotouriste double, these go down to 26.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/french-cranks.html#cranks

> Or could I cobble together a custom 12-30 or even 11-32 10-speed cassette and find a derailer to
> shift it?

Not with a Campagnolo hub, but this should be doable on a Shimano hub other than 2004 Dura-Ace.

I plan to give this a try myself, but haven't done it yet.

Sheldon "Custom" Brown +------------------------------------------------------+
| You only get as strong as your smallest gear. | If you only have one, that's how strong you get.
| | -- Mike Shaw |
+------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

Harris Cyclery lists a 33 chainring for a 110mm bcd. As for 10 speed cassettes the choice is also
very limited. Miche makes 10 speed cassettes. Biggest cog is 28 teeth. Marchisio makes 10 speed
cassettes. Biggest cog is 30. Expensive. Wheels Manufacturing makes 10 speed cassettes. Biggest cog
is 27 teeth. American Classic makes 10 speed cassettes. Biggest cog is 25 teeth. Mavic also makes 10
speed cassettes. Not sure of the biggest cog.

[email protected] (renormalize) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I currently ride a recumbent bike with an ATB non-compact drivetrain (48-36-24 triple crank with
> an 8-speed 11-28 cassette on a 700C drive wheel) giving me a 23-117 gear-inch range. Being of a
> certain age, I rarely use the highest gears, but really appreciate the low-end on hills.
>
> I'm thinking of moving up to a lighter dual 650C recumbent, and with 10-speed cassettes available,
> I'm wondering if I can save weight and get away with a double-chainring road drivetrain? The FSA
> 50-34 compact carbon crank looks intriguing and works with Campagnolo components (I've always
> coveted a Campy-equipped bike!). The FSA crank mated with a Campagnolo 13-29 cassette gives a
> range of 28"-94", but I'd really like to get the low-end down to 25" or so, and maybe raise the
> high-end to 100" or more. So is it possible to put less than a 34 tooth ring on a 110mm BCD crank?
> Or could I cobble together a custom 12-30 or even 11-32 10-speed cassette and find a derailer to
> shift it?
>
> Thanks in advance for your responses.

As long as one is looking outside the box, FSA also has a 44-29 double Afterburner that nets a lower
but nearly as wide range when mated to an 11-32. 46-29 x 11-34 is the widest double I have tried
sucessfully. Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"