Gears and brakes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Panasonic, Jun 21, 2003.

  1. Panasonic

    Panasonic Guest

    I have a 1999 Dawes Audax Giro and have put straight bars on it. I have used Acera combined brake
    gear levers .

    The front derailleur/chainset is the existing RSX and the rear the original 8sp RX100.

    This arrangement seems to work although it does not take kindly to the two extremes (big driving big
    cogs and small/smallish).

    The brakes . RX100 dual pivot . work absolutely brilliantly with the Acera levers it must be said.

    Any observations welcome.

    TIA

    Tags:

  2. Scotty

    Scotty Guest

    I'm only new back in this game (when I raced ppl still used braces to hold thier knicks up!) but I'm
    sure that almost no derailleuer systems like big/big & small/small combinations, due to the angle
    the chain has to run at. Thats why so-called 18 speed bikes etc... have a lot less than 18 gears you
    can use. Or maybe I've missed something since 1984!

    Scotty

    Panasonic <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a 1999 Dawes Audax Giro and have put straight bars on it. I have
    used
    > Acera combined brake gear levers .
    >
    > The front derailleur/chainset is the existing RSX and the rear the
    original
    > 8sp RX100.
    >
    > This arrangement seems to work although it does not take kindly to the two extremes (big driving
    > big cogs and small/smallish).
    >
    > The brakes . RX100 dual pivot . work absolutely brilliantly with the Acera levers it must be said.
    >
    > Any observations welcome.
    >
    > TIA

  3. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Panasonic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a 1999 Dawes Audax Giro and have put straight bars on it. I have
    used
    > Acera combined brake gear levers .
    >
    > The front derailleur/chainset is the existing RSX and the rear the
    original
    > 8sp RX100.
    >
    > This arrangement seems to work although it does not take kindly to the two extremes (big driving
    > big cogs and small/smallish).

    Situation normal, you should try to avoid these extremes by at least 2 sprockets.

    Pete

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Panasonic wrote:
    > I have a 1999 Dawes Audax Giro and have put straight bars on it. I have used Acera combined brake
    > gear levers .
    >
    > The front derailleur/chainset is the existing RSX and the rear the original 8sp RX100.
    >
    > This arrangement seems to work although it does not take kindly to the two extremes (big driving
    > big cogs and small/smallish).

    Although the bike should be setup so nothing catastrophic happens when in these extremes, the
    big-big and small-small should be avoided in normal use (and the next one or two extreme combos as
    well). Transmission will be inefficient, wear will be increased, risk of chain misbehaving is
    increased, and these will be duplications (or near duplications) of other gears anyway.

    ~PB

  5. Michael Kent

    Michael Kent Guest

    "Panasonic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a 1999 Dawes Audax Giro and have put straight bars on it. I have
    used
    > Acera combined brake gear levers .
    >
    > The front derailleur/chainset is the existing RSX and the rear the
    original
    > 8sp RX100.
    >
    > This arrangement seems to work although it does not take kindly to the two extremes (big driving
    > big cogs and small/smallish).

    I Found this site good, http://www.panix.com/~jbarrm/cycal/cycal.30f.html you just put in all the
    values for your sprockets and it tells you what order the difficulty of gears really run in.
    Cheers Michael

  6. Panasonic

    Panasonic Guest

    "Michael Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Panasonic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I have a 1999 Dawes Audax Giro and have put straight bars on it. I have
    > used
    > > Acera combined brake gear levers .
    > >
    > > The front derailleur/chainset is the existing RSX and the rear the
    > original
    > > 8sp RX100.
    > >
    > > This arrangement seems to work although it does not take kindly to the
    two
    > > extremes (big driving big cogs and small/smallish).
    > >
    > I Found this site good, http://www.panix.com/~jbarrm/cycal/cycal.30f.html you just put in all the
    > values for your sprockets and it tells you what order the difficulty of gears really run in.
    > Cheers Michael

    Good site. I have posted a picture of it at http://makeashorterlink.com/?L1A361205

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest