gears are slipping

Cantrell369

Aug 2, 2011
Hey guys so I purchased a 2002 trek 2000 and I'm loving the bike but when I go up a big hill and try to shift in the the small ring the chain starts slipping when in the lowest gear any idea on adjusting the rear derailer?

The Barrel adjustment is on the cable near the rear cassette.This adjusts the tension on the cable and what I would recommend trying first.

When you say the chain is slipping what is slipping. Is the chain slipping on the cogs/jumping teeth. A bike of that age might have a stretched chain and worn gears. You might need some new components. If the chain is jumping back and forth between gears than cable adjustment or replacement is the likely cause.

Its jumping off the back cassette. But I can get to the "problem " rings in the medium crank rings without problems

Originally Posted by Cantrell369 .

Its jumping off the back cassette. But I can get to the "problem " rings in the medium crank rings without problems
I am not sure I understand, are you saying when you shift to the biggest gear in the back when in the smallest gear up front does the chain jump of the gear in to the spokes? If so there is adjustment screws in the rear dérailleur that need to be adjusted. Don't go screwing them in and out if you are not sure what they do.

Try to explain exactly what is happening and when.

That is exactly what was happening, Thank you for the advice
I am sorry for not replying sooner but have been very busy