Gears changing by themselves? Newb here.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by S4one, Aug 19, 2007.

1. S4one

S4one New Member

The rear changes gears on its own when I pedal, the pedal feels softer so im guessing that it is changing up? Also when I have the front on the big ring and the rear near the right, towards the small ring it makes clicking noises. Whats the problem?

Tags:

2. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Time to take it in to the shop for a quick adjustment of the derailleur cables. ;)

3. S4one

S4one New Member

Cool, Thanks!!! BTW, is it hard to adjust it myself? Is it one screw that I have to tighten or should I take it to the shop?

4. Romis

Romis New Member

Better take it to the shop and watch how to do it properly.

And, do not forget to grease cable of rear derailleur, especially if it is MTB bicycle..

5. S4one

S4one New Member

Thanks for the heads up!

6. Armenian

Armenian New Member

Save your money! you can do it yourself!!! It is easier then you think!
    I am not a mechanic but I can rebuild motorcycle breaks, carbs adjust the valves etc and by comparison bicycle is ridiculously easy. No electronics, No air filter, no sparks all you got few cables, Few Screws to adjust! I find it funny how people rush to LBS for small adjustments that they can do it themselves. Here is a GREAT VIDEO.STEP BY STEP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ&mode=related&search=

7. warriorcliff77

warriorcliff77 New Member

Armenian:
    As a motocross atv builder i agree that bike maintence is easy as pie, and deraileur adjustment is something everybody should learn how to do on his/her own.

However, this may be a good time to begin a relationship with his LBS. Taking your bike in for something simple, is a) a great way to learn, with minimal expence, b)supports your local shop c) if they keep seeing your face (and money) on a regular basis, when it comes time for a new bike, or any major purchase, you may end up saving a few bucks.

A wise man once told me, "It's not what you know, it's WHO you know...."

8. janiejones

janiejones New Member

ahh!! It could be a ghost :eek: - where's Alison Dubois when we need her?

9. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

I hafta agree with warriorcliff77 on this one. This adjustment isn't gonna cost much and you will be able to get to know the LBS guys. I can't begin to tell you how good it is to have a great relationship with a good LBS. Small price reductions, access to sale prices and specials before anyone else. The best thing is going in to buy a jersey and they give you one with their name & logo cause they know you trail ride often enough to be a good rolling billboard in a place where other cyclists will see it.

10. S4one

S4one New Member

I took my bike into my LBS today, I bought some stuff from them, shorts, pump, little stuff. The same guy that helped me pick out the shorts and pump was the guy that worked on my bike. It took him 5-10min at most to adjust it very fast and smooth. Im glad I took it to him because at the end I asked him how much do I owe him and he said "dont worry about it" :)
    So I used the money to buy some chain lube. My bike rides really nice now!

11. gravelmuncher

gravelmuncher New Member

Cool. You don't get that kind of service from PBK.