Gears - confused

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Gary, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Hello,

    I have a Raleigh Sport 300 27 Speed model and I have a query regarding gears if anyone would care
    to listen :)

    The bike has three front gears and 9 rear gears. Some configurations I use are causing a hellish
    Clicking sound when cycling. It seems to happen when I am on the "large" gear at the front and
    "small" gear at the back or vice versa. However if I can choose gears which allow the chain to
    remain straight across both sets it seems to be fine. Not a complaint, just an observation.

    Would like to say the bike is a dream to ride, I can climb hills rapidly, normally 10MPH when on the
    easiest gear and if I get a good downhill section, I am coming close to 50MPH - my record so far is
    45.4MPH. I use the PANORAM cycle computer to record this info, it too is cool.

    Thanks,

    Gary.

    Tags:

  2. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 09:46:35 GMT, "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The bike has three front gears and 9 rear gears. Some configurations I use are causing a hellish
    >Clicking sound when cycling. It seems to happen when I am on the "large" gear at the front and
    >"small" gear at the back or vice versa. However if I can choose gears which allow the chain to
    >remain straight across both sets it seems to be fine. Not a complaint, just an observation.

    I think you mean "large/large" and "small/small" at least if you are referring to the physical size
    of the cogs rather than the gear ratio. Using combinations that give the greatest misalignment of
    the chain is not recommended. In any case the ratios you can select by doing this will be very close
    to ratios you can select with a better chain line, so you won't lose anything by avoiding these
    noisy combinations. The noises you are hearing are normal; there is nothing wrong with your bike.
    I'm glad you're enjoying it. Keep riding.

    --
    Dave...

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Gary wrote:
    > The bike has three front gears and 9 rear gears. Some configurations I use are causing a hellish
    > Clicking sound when cycling. It seems to happen when I am on the "large" gear at the front and
    > "small" gear at the back or vice versa. However if I can choose gears which allow the chain to
    > remain straight across both sets it seems to be fine. Not a complaint, just an observation.

    Please read the thread called "Gears & brakes".

    ~PB