Gears/Lever Upgrade ideas for flat bar road bikes

flatbarfanatic

Feb 2, 2005
Hi. im running a giant crx1 which has v-brakes.. 9 speed.. and been recommended deore/lx/xt as an upgrade for better brakes/levers.. as after doing 300kms+ i would like a bit more precision if possible (and of course i need a tune)...id like some campagnolo chorus carbon fibre 2005 but if anyone had any recommendations... i want something with precision gear change...

Ideas much appreciated.. Ben

Flatbar- if your gears need a tune-up every 300km thats a problem, if its after the first 300km thats normal just a bit of cable stretch would account for that. As for upgrading, what groupo is on the bike now? You list mid-high spec shimano mtb then refer to high level campy road gear? Main concern would be compatability for range on the cassette and of course cog spacing variations from shimano and campy the shifters and cog spacers must match or your present shifting problems will seem trivial. Unless of course the post was a joke :confused:

gclark8 said:
NO.

However they have a new range of Flat Bar Road Bike Levers for the Campy system for 2005. There are some very sexy Carbon Fibre ones in the range, including 2&3 - 9&10 speed, sorry not compatible with Shimano Ultegra 10 casettes and derailleurs.
http://www.campagnolo.com/groupsets.php?gid=3&cid=3&pid=198

I see; not mountain bike type levers but brake levers that go on a flat bar...uh huh ;)

If only Campy did mtb groupsets; those levers would go down a treat with them! :)