Gears not changing properly

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Darren Smith, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. Darren Smith

    Darren Smith Guest

    Hello. Hope you can help.

    When I change down on the rear gears (typically 6 to 5 or 5 to 4) there is a big lag before the
    chain moves over. Also when I change up into top (7) it doesn't change up at all! This seems to
    occur on all 3 front cogs.

    And advice welcome and if you need any more info let me know and I will do my best.

    Cheers

    --
    Darren

    Tags:

  2. Darren Smith

    Darren Smith Guest

    Darren Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hello. Hope you can help.
    >
    > When I change down on the rear gears (typically 6 to 5 or 5 to 4) there is a big lag before the
    > chain moves over. Also when I change up into top (7) it doesn't change up at all! This seems to
    > occur on all 3 front cogs.

    Additional info:

    If I squeeze the lever gently it drops down then (usually)

    Thanks

    --
    Darren

  3. Naveed

    Naveed Guest

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:57:36 +0100, Darren Smith wrote:

    > Hello. Hope you can help.
    >
    > When I change down on the rear gears (typically 6 to 5 or 5 to 4) there is a big lag before the
    > chain moves over. Also when I change up into top (7) it doesn't change up at all! This seems to
    > occur on all 3 front cogs.
    >
    > And advice welcome and if you need any more info let me know and I will do my best.
    >
    > Cheers

    You probably need to adjust them. Take a look at the following if you want to do it yourself:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

    Or take it to a local bike shop to get it adjusted.

    Naveed

  4. Colin Nelson

    Colin Nelson Guest

    "Darren Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Darren Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Hello. Hope you can help.
    > >
    > > When I change down on the rear gears (typically 6 to 5 or 5 to 4) there is a big lag before the
    > > chain moves over. Also when I change up into top (7) it doesn't change up at all! This seems to
    > > occur on all 3 front cogs.
    >

    > Additional info:
    >
    > If I squeeze the lever gently it drops down then (usually)
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    > Darren

    Darren, I had the same problem earlier this year and after fitting a new shifter control (Shimano
    GripShift type) there was an improvement for a few days, and then a gradual return to the same
    problem. Cleaning under the bottom bracket I cut my finger on something and on investigation I found
    that the cable was starting to fray at the point where the cable passes through the plastic/nylon
    guide under the bottom bracket, just enough to hold the rear mech from moving freely. New cable
    solved the problem . Now I make sure that there's plenty of grease on that bit. Hope that your
    problem is as easy to fix.

    Colin Nelson

  5. Darren Smith

    Darren Smith Guest

  6. Darren Smith

    Darren Smith Guest

    Colin Nelson <[email protected]> wrote:

    {snip}
    > I found that the cable was starting to fray at the point where the cable passes through the
    > plastic/nylon guide under the bottom bracket, just enough to hold the rear mech from moving
    > freely. New cable solved the problem . Now I make sure that there's plenty of grease on that bit.
    > Hope that your problem is as easy to fix.

    Cheers - Thanks for your reply. Local bike guy is looking at it now and he is thinking new
    cable also.
    --
    Darren