Gears Not changing Properly

BHSpeedrom7

Mar 6, 2012
I bought a road bike about 2 months ago it has been back for a service free of charge but the gears do not change properly, a new shimano 105 chain was fitted on as the original one broke off after 6 weeks, When changing gears I have to double click the shifter to get into a higher gear and then shift down a gear, it does not slot into the last gear which is a ***** going uphill. I am just wondering is there a simple solution, I have done well over 1000miles already since I have got it.

FYI. Your rear derailleur's cable is probably too slack ...

This is typically a DIY adjustment -- you will need a 5mm Allen wrench + a pair of pliers to aid in grasping the end of the cable -- but, since it is still a new bike which presumably has 'free' service during the first year (or, longer), you may as well have your bike shop tighten it for you AND show you what they are doing as they do it..

It does sound like cable tension issue but also may be a high gear limit set or low gear limit set. Depending on which gear you are having trouble with you may need to adjust one of these also.

Yes as others mentioned it could be a simple adjustment issue. But why didn't the shop get this right? I think if the cable tension was too slack it would not go up two gears with two clicks and then down one gear with one click. (Perhaps the B screw has the derailleur too far from the cassette and you are getting some play.) We're all just speculating of course since we can't see it.

I presume this bike was new when you bought it.

I am concerned by you saying that the chain broke off and needed to be replaced. Did it jam in some way? Why would this necessitate a new chain rather than a single link? Could it have damaged your rear derailleur or bent the hanger?

Originally Posted by AlanG .
I am concerned by you saying that the chain broke off and needed to be replaced. Did it jam in some way? Why would this necessitate a new chain rather than a single link? Could it have damaged your rear derailleur or bent the hanger?
I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Rear derailleur limiter adjustment was off and as a result it threw the chain off the cogs.. breaking the chain. Even with a new chain and adjusting the derailleur (and maybe even bending the hanger) things are still off a bit. ..... Speculating of course

Back to the shop.

Just curious... wondering the brand/model of equipment.

The limiter is only going to effect the top and bottom stop of the derailleur. Shifting between the limit stops is a function of cable tension.

BH, are you talking about the front or the rear derailleur?

This conversation should be under Cycling Equipment, but that gang's all here so let's continue.

If it's the rear, the problem could be any combination of cable tension, limit screws, and derailleur hanger alignment. And if it's the hanger, cable tension and limit screws will need adjustment after the hanger is properly aligned.

If it's the front, it's any combination of cable tension, limit screws, derailleur cage alignment with the chainrings, and derailleur cage height above the chainrings. Like the rear, height and alignment are set before messing with limit screws and cable tension.

I can't make a diagnosis without seeing the patient. My first suggestion would be to give your shop another opportunity to get it right. Careless mistakes get made. If that fails, I'd find another bike shop. If that's not possible, consult the troubleshooting guide at ParkTools.com, or you can buy yourself a copy of their Big Blue Book.

Assuming this is a rear derailleur we're talking about:
  1. Remove chain and shift cable.
  2. Check derailleur hanger alignment and correct if necessary
  3. Set upper and lower limits as per directions for that derailleur.
  4. Attach cable.
  5. Set cable tension according to directions for that derailleur.
This is the sure fire way of getting it right. Dispense with all the fiddling around and guessing, and have the LBS do it right from the beginning.

Originally Posted by davereo .
The limiter is only going to effect the top and bottom stop of the derailleur. Shifting between the limit stops is a function of cable tension.
True. I meant that the limiter could have been the cause of the chain breakage/damage (or actually I am saying I think that is what AlanG may have figured out). Allowing the chain to shift off the cogs and jam.
Too little info to just "guess" at what it could be.... but why not do little guessing... no one is suggesting repairs or adjustments with the guess. I should have come home from the shop correct.

But that's another idea. What if a bike leaves the shop correct but arrives home with an adjustment problem? Could it have been laid in the back of a van or pick-up truck chain side down? That could cause a problem.

Its the rear derailer, They said they noticed the problem but problem came back, I had a puncture on my bike so maybe I have not put the rear wheel back on properly or something but how many other ways are there to put it on? Yes the bike was bought new just 2 months ago, The problem seems to come and go, today the gears were much better at changing than yesterday. I'd rather not take it to a shop as the bike is new.

BHSpeedrom7 said:
Its the rear derailer, They said they noticed the problem but problem came back, I had a puncture on my bike so maybe I have not put the rear wheel back on properly or something but how many other ways are there to put it on? Yes the bike was bought new just 2 months ago, The problem seems to come and go, today the gears were much better at changing than yesterday. I'd rather not take it to a shop as the bike is new.
Where did you buy the bike, and why wouldn't you want to take it to a shop? if you don't take it to a shop, then you have to figure out the problem and fix it on your own. That means checking the derailleur hanger alignment and completely redoing the setup on the rear derailleur. If you're going to do it yourself, then you better get thee to Park Tool Repair tutorial page and do some learning.

Originally Posted by BHSpeedrom7 .

I'd rather not take it to a shop as the bike is new.
Things stretch (sorta) and settle (or compress) on a new bicycle. It is normal and desirable to return the bike to the shop as you break it in. I like to tip the mechanic [slip him a few bucks] since normal adjustments will only take a minute or so of his time and is usually free. It is good to get to know the guys (and women) at the LBS.

This is also a good time to buy and read some bicycle [repair] books as well as watch the on-line videos. The mechanic should also be able to answer some questions you'll be sure to have. As well as recommend tool purchases.... if getting into doing repairs is really what you have in mind. I myself have taken a couple classes and acquired some tools... but I find that there isn't all that much maintenance and repair required on a bicycle.

I have also found that the skill level of the mechanics can vary widely. So whereas it is really is a good thing to polish up your own skills... finding and getting to know a good mechanic is important as well.

Originally Posted by alienator .

This is the sure fire way of getting it right. Dispense with all the fiddling around and guessing, and have the LBS do it right from the beginning.
+1. When you know what you are doing derailleur adjustment is a pretty simple thing. When you don't it's tantamount to brain surgery. Any decent bike store should be happy to get it right for you regardless of how long it takes, especially with a recent purchase. If I got any "oh no not this guy again" vibe I'd high tail it to another shop pronto. Not shifting into one of the gears on either end is usually related to the one of the limit screws, skipping somewhere between gears usually an indexing issue (barrel adjustment). It's possible adjustments to both need to be made.

Originally Posted by BHSpeedrom7 . I'd rather not take it to a shop as the bike is new.
All the more reason to take it back to the shop.

Somebody tell me we're not being trolled.

oldbobcat said:
All the more reason to take it back to the shop.
Somebody tell me we're not being trolled.
I don't think we're being trolled. I think the OP is new to the bike scene and isn't up to speed yet on what he can rightly expect of his LBS. Hopefully the LBS is more competent than the derailleur tuning indicates.