Gears skipping

Kermit

Guest
I recently bought a Specialized Rockhopper, and the gears keep skipping.

The problem is worst going up steep hills when I'm in the lower gears.

Any ideas?

Kermit wrote:
> I recently bought a Specialized Rockhopper, and the gears keep skipping.
>
> The problem is worst going up steep hills when I'm in the lower gears.
>
> Any ideas?

Yea, worn chain, worn cassetter, worn chain rings, loose chain.

Measure 12 links of the chain. If it's more than 12-1/8" replace it (some replace at 12-1/16). A new
chain measures 1"/link. Note that replacing a very worn chain will typically require that you also
replace the cassette and chainrings because they'll be worn to the old chain's wider spacing and the
new chain will only pull against *1* tooth! i.e., it'll skip :).

Does it skip on all of the chainrings? If so, replace the cassette. If it skips on only one of the
chainrings, try replacing just that chainring.

Does is skip on all of the cassette gears? If so, you need to recheck your chainrings :). If it
skips on the most frequently used cassette gears, the cassette needs to be replaced.

You can test for a loose chain by removing it and rethreading it outside the derailleur. Put it on
the big-big combination. You should have
1/2-1 full chain link (1-2 chain pieces). If you have more, make sure that your suspension's in the
position that needs the longest chain. If it is, I'd try removing a link, then making sure that
it'll still shift in and out of the big-big combination without binding (test both front and back
shifts) so that if you shift into this combination by accident, you won't break anything.

David

"D T W .../\\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Kermit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I recently bought a Specialized Rockhopper, and the gears keep skipping.
> >
> > The problem is worst going up steep hills when I'm in the lower gears.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>

> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

I take it the rockhopper is new? if it is it may be a simple case of tightening the tension on the
gear cable.

On Sun, 4 May 2003 10:53:51 +0100, "Kermit" <[email protected]> blathered:

>I recently bought a Specialized Rockhopper, and the gears keep skipping. The problem is worst going
>up steep hills when I'm in the lower gears. Any ideas?

Buy a bike maintenance book. Follow through the trouble shooting section step-by-step, rather than
depending on scattershot Usenet advice, half of which will be complete bollocks. You will learn
things you weren't even aware you needed to know, and your bike will run better because of it.

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

On Sun, 4 May 2003 10:53:51 +0100, "Kermit" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I recently bought a Specialized Rockhopper, and the gears keep skipping.
>
>The problem is worst going up steep hills when I'm in the lower gears.
>
>Any ideas?

yes,

:-]

Yes the bike is brand new.

I've got a book, and it seemed that the tension in the gear cable was too tight, having loosened it,
it seems better, but I'm yet to properly test it.

I'm a bit surprised the cable was too tight, too loose i could understand?!