Gears slipping

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ed, Jun 10, 2004.

  1. ed

    ed Guest

    While on tour I found that my 5th & 6th gears were slipping. I
    checked the chain and cluster and all looks ok. I managed to get to a
    LBS and the owner wanted to change my cluster and chain. Does this
    make any sense? I had the rear derail./chain and cluster replaced
    about 500 miles ago. The only reason I didn't get the work done was
    the LBS had a really horrible attitude.

    Tags:

  2. edmund-<< While on tour I found that my 5th & 6th gears were slipping. I
    checked the chain and cluster and all looks ok. I managed to get to a
    LBS and the owner wanted to change my cluster and chain. Does this
    make any sense? >><BR><BR>

    Did he ride the bike and see that the chain was 'skipping' on those cogs? If
    so, yes it sounds like those are worn but 500 miles isw way too early.

    Maybe der adjust or der hanger or tight link in the chain?

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  3. Harris

    Harris Guest

    ed <[email protected]> wrote:
    > While on tour I found that my 5th & 6th gears were slipping. I
    > checked the chain and cluster and all looks ok. I managed to get to a
    > LBS and the owner wanted to change my cluster and chain. Does this
    > make any sense? I had the rear derail./chain and cluster replaced
    > about 500 miles ago. The only reason I didn't get the work done was
    > the LBS had a really horrible attitude.

    Skipping usually occurs when a new chain is used with a worn cassette.
    Since you only have 500 miles on both the chain and cassette, that can't
    be your problem.

    Are your "5th and 6th gears" the smallest cogs? You may just need a
    derailleur adjustment. Or you may be the victim of "auto shifting."

    See:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#autoshift

    Art Harris