Gears Slipping

stevo10

May 8, 2011
Hi Guys

I'm a complete newbie to this forum so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong place.
I've only just started to cycle again after a break of quite a few years. I'm only really doing it to get fit and hopefully lose some weight.
Usually I'll cycle 10 - 15 miles 4 times a weeks. This morning I was out and noticed that when cycling in a high gear the chain seems to slip causing a judder that on occasion will throw my foot off of the pedal. I really know nothing about bicycle gearing whatsoever but it feels as if its slipping on the cassette. I've had a look and there doesn't appear to be any damage done to the teeth. Would my best bet be to take it to the repair shop or is it just a case of a minor adjustment that I can perform? Sorry if this seems a tad vague but I really know nothing about the workings of bike gears.

Regards Steve,

Its probably a minor shifting adjustment, shouldn't be expensive on your repair shop, they could even fix it on the spot if they don't have to much work. The other possibility is a worn out chain and/or cassette, that happens after many many miles of saddle time !