Gears

G

I'm a fairly new mtn biker and want to be more efficient and knowledgeable about using my gears. I usually set my gears to whatever feels good at the moment, but how can I be smarter about this? Also, I often take my mtn bike out on paved trails or on the road just for a workout. Where should I set my gears in this case so that I can build endurance and strength?<br /><br />Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks.

I've been riding for over a year now (call me junior ;D)<br />And here's my take:<br />Off road I usually run along in the secong cog on the front and use the rear cassette to change only.<br />DH I still use the middle cog but on-road I sometimes use the big cog but the middle is better for cadence and you don't get flogged so quickly.<br />I don't use the granny gear, mainly coz it's taken too many hits ??? and the preformance of said cog is well below par! ::) :p<br /><br />Middle cog is the best for me!

I'd second what rokems said, but also think you should note that you will generally get longer crank rotations out of the bigger front chainring. so rather than having a gear combo like 1/9, you'd be better off with 2/5 or 3/2 (front to back)

I read a ton about conditioning on a bike and it seemed to sum up by saying that the answer was to get a smooth spin, rather than the ability to grunt your way through the climb.
Pat]