    the AP continue here:

    AP Exclusive: Bush the mountain-biker rides hard, shrugs off crash

    SCOTT LINDLAW, Associated Press Writer
    Monday, July 26, 2004

    (07-26) 18:43 PDT CRAWFORD, Texas (AP) --

    President Bush charged up punishing climbs and down steep dirt paths on
    his high-performance bike Monday, at one point sailing over the handlebars
    and landing flat on his back.

    The president dusted himself off from his fall on a treacherous descent,
    waved his medics away and kept rolling, a small cut on his knee and dirt
    on his back the only signs he had wrecked. He allowed that he was a bit
    shaken up.

    Bush was indulging his new hobby, which he sees as a way to get his heart
    rate up and spend time outdoors without aggravating his achy knees. With
    an Associated Press reporter riding with him, Bush pedaled to remote
    corners of his 1,600-acre ranch.

    __________________________

    Alright folks. Lets get serious here. Anyone from Crawford? No? Well
    here's a picture of the GW plantation:

    http://www.photostogo.com/store/Ful...777+2892+3278+3763+3813+5781+5833&from=chubby

    See any hills? No?

    Let's take another look:

    http://www.photostogo.com/store/Ful...777+2892+3278+3763+3813+5781+5833&from=chubby

    See any hills? No! Look again.

    http://www.photostogo.com/store/Ful...2+3278+3763+3774+3813+4419+5748+5781+5833&fro
    m=chubby

    Still no hills...

    http://www.photostogo.com/store/Ful...777+2892+3278+3763+3813+5781+5833&from=chubby

    No hills but some weird ass floaters in the guppy pond...

    Here's a dog's eye view of that ride. Any hills?

    http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/07/images/20040727-1_hw8n2274-515h.html

    Well, there was a tail wind...

    Hmmm, here's a map:

    http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~bump/ranch/Bush/Bushmap.JPG

    OK, now we know where to look:

    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=14&n=3488979&e=641259&s=100&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

    Hmmm...

    No steep locations, hmmmm...

    Anyone want to comment on his claim on heartrate?

    "Over an 18-mile ride that lasted an hour and 20 minutes, he burns about
    1,200 calories and his heart rate reaches 168 beats per minute. That's
    nearly four times his resting rate and in the same range as Lance
    Armstrong's when the six-time Tour de France winner is pedaling hard."

    Tags:

  2. Mike Gladu

    Mike Gladu Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Clovis Lark
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Alright folks. Lets get serious here. Anyone from Crawford?

    Not /from/ Crawford, but been there. Lived in Waco for a while.

    Went to the Inaugural Norba National Marathon held all of about ten mikes
    straight up Highway 317 from there though (Broken Oak Ranch - two miles
    West of Valley Mills on Hwy 6).

    Broken Oak Ranch:
    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=14&n=3508753&e=641169&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

    Crawford and Valley Mills on one map:
    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=14&n=3496482&e=646313&s=500&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

    The Norba Marathon did two 30 mile laps on property with a definite
    'ridge' - a valley start and a higher plateau to work with. 30 mile blend
    of fire roads, entertaining and technical trails that had IMO roughly 2000
    feet of climbing per lap.

    While the Bush Ranch doesn't have any mountains (or the ridge of BOR), it
    does have about 3/4 the topography - about 150-200 ft between it's high
    points, creek beds and a few gravel pits. With a little trail planning you
    could easily provide a switch-backy granny grind of about two-minutes for
    an older inexperienced rider.

    > No? Well
    > here's a picture of the GW plantation:

    18 miles of riding can get him a long way from where you're picturing.
    Maybe even into the woods, creek beds and bits of terrain on the horizon.

    > Hmmm, here's a map:
    >
    > http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~bump/ranch/Bush/Bushmap.JPG
    >
    > OK, now we know where to look:

    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=14&n=3488979&e=641259&s=100&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

    > Hmmm...
    >
    > No steep locations, hmmmm...

    Oh c'mon - there could be /plenty/ of 'steep locations' hidden in that
    huge parcel of land.

    > Anyone want to comment on his claim on heartrate?
    >
    > "Over an 18-mile ride that lasted an hour and 20 minutes, he burns about
    > 1,200 calories and his heart rate reaches 168 beats per minute...

    Nothing more than that is about what any cheesy heart rate monitor or
    exercise bike would say... and wouldn't 168 be pretty good for a man his
    age?

    Mike G.
    - (not a Bush apologist, just providing more info...)
    -

    Mike Gladu, Cycling Photojournalist, Infinite HangTime Photography
    Honda '82 CB900F, '84 XR200R, '70/'71/'80/'81/'82/'83 C70 Passport
    Honda '86 VT500C, '97 Dream 50, Husqvarna '84 510TE, BMW '74 R60/5
    Passport/C70 info: http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html

  3. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    Mike Gladu <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Clovis Lark
    > <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Alright folks. Lets get serious here. Anyone from Crawford?

    > Not /from/ Crawford, but been there. Lived in Waco for a while.

    > Went to the Inaugural Norba National Marathon held all of about ten mikes
    > straight up Highway 317 from there though (Broken Oak Ranch - two miles
    > West of Valley Mills on Hwy 6).

    > Broken Oak Ranch:
    > http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=14&n=3508753&e=641169&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

    Sorry, can't include it. Has to be the GeeDubya Ranch.

    > Crawford and Valley Mills on one map:
    > http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=14&n=3496482&e=646313&s=500&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

    > The Norba Marathon did two 30 mile laps on property with a definite
    > 'ridge' - a valley start and a higher plateau to work with. 30 mile blend
    > of fire roads, entertaining and technical trails that had IMO roughly 2000
    > feet of climbing per lap.

    Noting that NORBA wisely chose the Broken Oak Ranch, not the GeeDubya
    Ranch...

    > While the Bush Ranch doesn't have any mountains (or the ridge of BOR), it
    > does have about 3/4 the topography - about 150-200 ft between it's high
    > points, creek beds and a few gravel pits. With a little trail planning you
    > could easily provide a switch-backy granny grind of about two-minutes for
    > an older inexperienced rider.

    Where's this 150-200. I found some 70-80 footers...

    >> No? Well
    >> here's a picture of the GW plantation:

    > 18 miles of riding can get him a long way from where you're picturing.
    > Maybe even into the woods, creek beds and bits of terrain on the horizon.

    Maybe... And then again... Maybe not.

    >> Hmmm, here's a map:
    >>
    >> http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~bump/ranch/Bush/Bushmap.JPG
    >>
    >> OK, now we know where to look:
    >>

    > http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=14&n=3488979&e=641259&s=100&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25
    >>
    >> Hmmm...
    >>
    >> No steep locations, hmmmm...

    > Oh c'mon - there could be /plenty/ of 'steep locations' hidden in that
    > huge parcel of land.

    There's that thang he calls his "cathedral". But he be in traction if he
    tried to descent that...

    >> Anyone want to comment on his claim on heartrate?
    >>
    >> "Over an 18-mile ride that lasted an hour and 20 minutes, he burns about
    >> 1,200 calories and his heart rate reaches 168 beats per minute...

    > Nothing more than that is about what any cheesy heart rate monitor or
    > exercise bike would say... and wouldn't 168 be pretty good for a man his
    > age?

    Down at the bike shop, we figured it was a good indication of not being in
    shape.

    > Mike G.
    > - (not a Bush apologist, just providing more info...)
    > -

    > Mike Gladu, Cycling Photojournalist, Infinite HangTime Photography
    > Honda '82 CB900F, '84 XR200R, '70/'71/'80/'81/'82/'83 C70 Passport
    > Honda '86 VT500C, '97 Dream 50, Husqvarna '84 510TE, BMW '74 R60/5
    > Passport/C70 info: http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html

  4. CowPunk

    CowPunk Guest

    > corners of his 1,600-acre ranch.
    960 acres ~ 1 sq. mi.

    > No steep locations, hmmmm...

    Having lived in both the hill country of Texas, and Colorado, I can
    say that there are some very steep, if not short, climbs in this part
    of the Texas hill country.

    I think the most interesting thing was Dubyas statement concerning his
    "other" reason for MTB'ng. Something to the effect of how it "frees"
    his mind...

  5. Dan Chatten

    Dan Chatten Guest

    I hope that I am hammering miles when I am his age, and can say I took
    a good header :)

  6. TritonRider

    TritonRider Guest

    >From: Clovis Lark [email protected]

    >Now that our beta blockers have soothed our blood pressures, let's get to
    >that news item so nicely posted here the other day. Inspired by the
    >banana t-shirt, or perhaps its similarity to the color of a mexican VW,
    >our fearless leader, who only answers to a higher "father", went out to
    >show his belief that gravity, like evolution, is only a theory. I'll let
    >the AP continue here:
    >

    >AP Exclusive: Bush the mountain-biker rides hard, shrugs off crash
    >
    >SCOTT LINDLAW, Associated Press Writer
    > Monday, July 26, 2004
    >
    >(07-26) 18:43 PDT CRAWFORD, Texas (AP) --
    >
    >President Bush charged up punishing climbs and down steep dirt paths on
    >his high-performance bike Monday, at one point sailing over the handlebars
    >and landing flat on his back.
    >
    >The president dusted himself off from his fall on a treacherous descent,
    >waved his medics away and kept rolling, a small cut on his knee and dirt
    >on his back the only signs he had wrecked. He allowed that he was a bit
    >shaken up.
    >
    > Bush was indulging his new hobby, which he sees as a way to get his heart
    >rate up and spend time outdoors without aggravating his achy knees. With
    >an Associated Press reporter riding with him, Bush pedaled to remote
    >corners of his 1,600-acre ranch.
    >
    >__________________________
    >
    >Alright folks. Lets get serious here. Anyone from Crawford? No? Well
    >here's a picture of the GW plantation:
    >

    >http://www.photostogo.com/store/FullPreview.asp?SearchStr=#528114&Maxhi

    ts=1&P=1&dept_id=101&parentdept_id=100&Pagemode=&VolumeID=836&eVolidT=EjEu
    %7DQKP5gMC&VolidT=836&ImageNumber=528114&SecNum=bMfLYTwT2BU0bA4%7El2WBy%7D
    4qT&Caption=Aerial+of+George
    >+W+Bush+Ranch%2C+Crawford%2C+Texas&Height=92&Width=138&basket_id=&basket_

    name=&PhotogName=893&keywords=10+332+719+898+1071+1106+1657+1693+2324+2354
    +2413+2547+2646+2777+2892+3278+3763+3813+5781+5833&from=chubby

    >See any hills? No?
    >
    >Let's take another look:
    >

    >http://www.photostogo.com/store/FullPreview.asp?SearchStr=#528112&Maxhi

    ts=1&P=1&dept_id=101&parentdept_id=100&Pagemode=&VolumeID=836&eVolidT=EjEu
    %7DQKP5eMC&VolidT=836&ImageNumber=528112&SecNum=bMfLYRwT2BS0bA2Al2UFZ%7D25
    D&Caption=Aerial+of+George+W
    >+Bush+Ranch%2C+Crawford%2C+Texas&Height=91&Width=138&basket_id=&basket_na

    me=&PhotogName=893&keywords=10+332+719+898+1071+1106+1657+1693+2324+2354+2
    413+2547+2646+2777+2892+3278+3763+3813+5781+5833&from=chubby

    >See any hills? No! Look again.
    >

    >http://www.photostogo.com/store/FullPreview.asp?SearchStr=#527938&Maxhi

    ts=1&P=1&dept_id=101&parentdept_id=100&Pagemode=&VolumeID=836&eVolidT=EjEu
    %7DQJX7uMC&VolidT=836&ImageNumber=527938&SecNum=bMeTkXwUJDY%7CUu6pK75%7D9w
    lZo&Caption=George+W+Bush%27
    >s+ranch%2C+Crawford%2C+Texas&Height=92&Width=138&basket_id=&basket_name=&

    PhotogName=893&keywords=10+163+332+426+436+451+626+713+717+719+898+987+107
    1+1078+1106+1394+1411+1420+1464+1597+2324+2354+2495+2547+2646+2822+2892+32
    78+3763+3774+3813+4419+5748+
    >5781+5833&fro
    >m=chubby
    >
    >Still no hills...
    >

    >http://www.photostogo.com/store/FullPreview.asp?SearchStr=#528111&Maxhi

    ts=1&P=1&dept_id=101&parentdept_id=100&Pagemode=&VolumeID=836&eVolidT=EjEu
    %7DQKP5dMC&VolidT=836&ImageNumber=528111&SecNum=bMfLYQwT2BR0bA3Bl2VFY%7D16
    E&Caption=Aerial+of+George+W
    >+Bush+Ranch%2C+Crawford%2C+Texas&Height=92&Width=138&basket_id=&basket_na

    me=&PhotogName=893&keywords=10+332+719+898+1071+1106+1657+1693+2324+2354+2
    413+2547+2646+2777+2892+3278+3763+3813+5781+5833&from=chubby

    >No hills but some weird ass floaters in the guppy pond...
    >
    >Here's a dog's eye view of that ride. Any hills?
    >

    >http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/07/images/20040727-1_hw8n227

    4-515h.html

    >Well, there was a tail wind...
    >
    >Hmmm, here's a map:
    >
    >http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~bump/ranch/Bush/Bushmap.JPG
    >
    >OK, now we know where to look:
    >

    >http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=14&n=3488979&e=641259&s=100&size=l&datu

    m=nad83&layer=DRG25

    >Hmmm...
    >
    >No steep locations, hmmmm...
    >
    >Anyone want to comment on his claim on heartrate?
    >
    >"Over an 18-mile ride that lasted an hour and 20 minutes, he burns about
    >1,200 calories and his heart rate reaches 168 beats per minute. That's
    >nearly four times his resting rate and in the same range as Lance
    >Armstrong's when the six-time Tour de France winner is pedaling hard."

    Interesting Pics, and screed snipped.
    And Al Gore invented the internet.
    Get over it. At least both candidates ride some sort of bicycle.
    Bill C

  7. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    http://www.photostogo.com/store/Ful...2+3278+3763+3774+3813+4419+5748+5781+5833&fro
    > m=chubby
    >
    > Still no hills...

    Then look a little closer in the background. Do you note the gulleys? Thatls
    the brownish stuff with the green sticking up around it.

    Try going down there and riding some of the so-called flat Texas terrain and
    see what you think about it.

    It sure as hell ain't Mt. Tamalpias but when they held the Jr. Nationals
    down there it was one hell of a lot more hilly that I expected it to be and
    we were up in the panhandle where it is supposed to be the flattest part.

    My very first long airplane flight came into El Paso and there was a range
    of hills outside of town that had a downdraft so powerful that our 707 came
    damned close to dropping out of the sky.

  8. Jim Weeks

    Jim Weeks Guest

    "Mike Gladu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, Clovis Lark
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Alright folks. Lets get serious here. Anyone from Crawford?

    > Not /from/ Crawford, but been there. Lived in Waco for a while.
    >
    > Went to the Inaugural Norba National Marathon held all of about ten mikes
    > straight up Highway 317 from there though (Broken Oak Ranch - two miles
    > West of Valley Mills on Hwy 6).
    >
    > Broken Oak Ranch:

    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=14&n=3508753&e=641169&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

    > Crawford and Valley Mills on one map:

    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=14&n=3496482&e=646313&s=500&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

    > The Norba Marathon did two 30 mile laps on property with a definite
    > 'ridge' - a valley start and a higher plateau to work with. 30 mile blend
    > of fire roads, entertaining and technical trails that had IMO roughly 2000
    > feet of climbing per lap.
    >
    > While the Bush Ranch doesn't have any mountains (or the ridge of BOR), it
    > does have about 3/4 the topography - about 150-200 ft between it's high
    > points, creek beds and a few gravel pits. With a little trail planning you
    > could easily provide a switch-backy granny grind of about two-minutes for
    > an older inexperienced rider.
    >
    > > No? Well
    > > here's a picture of the GW plantation:

    > 18 miles of riding can get him a long way from where you're picturing.
    > Maybe even into the woods, creek beds and bits of terrain on the horizon.
    >
    > > Hmmm, here's a map:
    > >
    > > http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~bump/ranch/Bush/Bushmap.JPG
    > >
    > > OK, now we know where to look:

    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=14&n=3488979&e=641259&s=100&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

    > > Hmmm...
    > >
    > > No steep locations, hmmmm...

    > Oh c'mon - there could be /plenty/ of 'steep locations' hidden in that
    > huge parcel of land.
    >
    > > Anyone want to comment on his claim on heartrate?
    > >
    > > "Over an 18-mile ride that lasted an hour and 20 minutes, he burns about
    > > 1,200 calories and his heart rate reaches 168 beats per minute...

    > Nothing more than that is about what any cheesy heart rate monitor or
    > exercise bike would say... and wouldn't 168 be pretty good for a man his
    > age?
    >
    > Mike G.
    > - (not a Bush apologist, just providing more info...)
    > -

    So I'm in Austin, and while Crawford is hardly considered Hill Country..
    its possible to come across some pretty good climbs on a Mt Bike that would
    get your attention. Back when W was govenor here, he ran several of the
    local events and was definately in better shape than most political
    windbags. I doubt if John Kerry wants very much of him..

    looking forward to seeing Lance's homecoming any day now..

    Jpw
    Austin, Tx

  9. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Dan Chatten" <[email protected]> wrote .com...
    > I hope that I am hammering miles when I am his age, and can say I took
    > a good header :)

    ....versus Clinton who would jog 3 miles, then scarf down Big Macs and fries.

    To be President, and still find time to mtn bike, and take risks and crash
    means he is getting into it.

    If you don't crash then you're NOT trying.

    -ken

  10. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    > "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    http://www.photostogo.com/store/Ful...2+3278+3763+3774+3813+4419+5748+5781+5833&fro
    > > m=chubby
    > >
    > > Still no hills...

    > Then look a little closer in the background. Do you note the gulleys?

    Thatls
    > the brownish stuff with the green sticking up around it.
    >
    > Try going down there and riding some of the so-called flat Texas terrain

    and
    > see what you think about it.
    >
    > It sure as hell ain't Mt. Tamalpias but when they held the Jr. Nationals
    > down there it was one hell of a lot more hilly that I expected it to be

    and
    > we were up in the panhandle where it is supposed to be the flattest part.
    >
    > My very first long airplane flight came into El Paso and there was a range
    > of hills outside of town that had a downdraft so powerful that our 707

    came
    > damned close to dropping out of the sky.

    C'mon Tom -- even I do not believe that 707 stuff.

    My first 707 flight was from Detroit, Michigan to Hamburg, Germany, 1975.
    I had so much fun there I did not come back for 12 weeks!

    -Ken

  11. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:sEYNc.177165$%[email protected]_s01...

    > C'mon Tom -- even I do not believe that 707 stuff.

    It was actually a pretty funny deal. We lost 12,000 feet of altitude in
    about 3 or 4 seconds. There was a Nun walking down the aisle when we hit the
    air pocket and she was carrying a rosary. As she went airborn and hit the
    ceiling she screamed "JESUS CHRIST" and flung the rosary away from her, I
    suppose in order to use her hands to grab something. The beads scattered all
    over the cabin as the rosary came apart.

    That was only my first airline flight and it was in April 15, 1963 if I
    remember correctly - my first day in the Air Force. Well, I'd had a flight
    from Oakland to Los Angelos and this was the connecting flight to San
    Antonio so you might call it my second flight.

  12. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

  13. TritonRider

    TritonRider Guest

  14. Raoul Duke

    Raoul Duke Guest

    Interesting thing about Dubya's mountain bike wreck a couple of weeks ago.
    Apparently Dubya's ranch spokesperson claimed the wreck was due to a slip on
    soil loosened by rain. A shrewd reporter from a Texas rag called the Texas
    Observer checked the weather reports for Crawford and reported that it
    hadn't rained for weeks before Dubya's wreck.

  15. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:02:58 +0000 (UTC), Clovis Lark
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Mike Gladu <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]>, Clovis Lark
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>> Alright folks. Lets get serious here. Anyone from Crawford?

    >> Not /from/ Crawford, but been there. Lived in Waco for a while.

    >> Went to the Inaugural Norba National Marathon held all of about ten mikes
    >> straight up Highway 317 from there though (Broken Oak Ranch - two miles
    >> West of Valley Mills on Hwy 6).

    >> Broken Oak Ranch:
    >> http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=14&n=3508753&e=641169&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

    >Sorry, can't include it. Has to be the GeeDubya Ranch.
    >

    >> Crawford and Valley Mills on one map:
    >> http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=14&n=3496482&e=646313&s=500&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

    >> The Norba Marathon did two 30 mile laps on property with a definite
    >> 'ridge' - a valley start and a higher plateau to work with. 30 mile blend
    >> of fire roads, entertaining and technical trails that had IMO roughly 2000
    >> feet of climbing per lap.

    >Noting that NORBA wisely chose the Broken Oak Ranch, not the GeeDubya
    >Ranch...
    >
    >> While the Bush Ranch doesn't have any mountains (or the ridge of BOR), it
    >> does have about 3/4 the topography - about 150-200 ft between it's high
    >> points, creek beds and a few gravel pits. With a little trail planning you
    >> could easily provide a switch-backy granny grind of about two-minutes for
    >> an older inexperienced rider.

    >Where's this 150-200. I found some 70-80 footers...
    >
    >>> No? Well
    >>> here's a picture of the GW plantation:

    >> 18 miles of riding can get him a long way from where you're picturing.
    >> Maybe even into the woods, creek beds and bits of terrain on the horizon.

    >Maybe... And then again... Maybe not.
    >

    >>> Hmmm, here's a map:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~bump/ranch/Bush/Bushmap.JPG
    >>>
    >>> OK, now we know where to look:
    >>>

    >> http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=14&n=3488979&e=641259&s=100&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25
    >>>
    >>> Hmmm...
    >>>
    >>> No steep locations, hmmmm...

    >> Oh c'mon - there could be /plenty/ of 'steep locations' hidden in that
    >> huge parcel of land.

    >There's that thang he calls his "cathedral". But he be in traction if he
    >tried to descent that...
    >
    >>> Anyone want to comment on his claim on heartrate?
    >>>
    >>> "Over an 18-mile ride that lasted an hour and 20 minutes, he burns about
    >>> 1,200 calories and his heart rate reaches 168 beats per minute...

    >> Nothing more than that is about what any cheesy heart rate monitor or
    >> exercise bike would say... and wouldn't 168 be pretty good for a man his
    >> age?

    >Down at the bike shop, we figured it was a good indication of not being in
    >shape.

    The guys a long term hardcore runner. Yeah, one of those whackoes and he's a
    rookie cyclist, so it pretty well makes sense. He's probably working a lot
    harder on the bike than he needs to and he's probably doing that runner thing
    staying closer to his max HR than a real cyclist (they don't need the alertness
    or coordination and don't keep a reserve). It all sorta shows. He should find a
    riding partner and learn the way of the bike.

    As for the terrain, hell I'm in Tampa, have to ride 50 miles to see 200 feet of
    elevation, so WTF do I know.

    Ron

  16. gwhite

    gwhite Guest

    Ken Papai wrote:

    > "Dan Chatten" <[email protected]> wrote .com...
    > > I hope that I am hammering miles when I am his age, and can say I took
    > > a good header :)

    > ...versus Clinton who would jog 3 miles, then scarf down Big Macs and fries.

    Please leave your nasty old politics out of my beloved rbr. Thanks.

    > To be President, and still find time to mtn bike, and take risks and crash
    > means he is getting into it.

    Maybe he just has an inner ear infection. He sure isn't listening to the Demagogues. Er, I mean
    dem.. er nevermind.

    > If you don't crash then you're NOT trying.

    I try not to crash. Thus if I crash I have failed in my attempt.

  17. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "Raoul Duke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Interesting thing about Dubya's mountain bike wreck a couple of weeks ago.
    > Apparently Dubya's ranch spokesperson claimed the wreck was due to a slip on
    > soil loosened by rain. A shrewd reporter from a Texas rag called the Texas
    > Observer checked the weather reports for Crawford and reported that it
    > hadn't rained for weeks before Dubya's wreck.

    There are many many things I dislike about GWB, but being
    a mountain biker or falling as a mountain biker is not one of
    them. Been there in a big way more than once.

    M.

  18. 12,000 feet in 3 or 4 seconds ? The plane would have disintegrated at that
    rate, let alone recovery from the dive would have been impossible.
    http://www.thesunlink.com/news/99november/daily/1124b1b.html

    The airplane descended to about 5,000 feet in 63 seconds before the
    flightcrew regained control

    That would be 34,00 0ft in 63 seconds (539 ft/sec) you state 12,000 in 4
    seconds ( 3,000 ft sec)

    "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]hoo.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:sEYNc.177165$%[email protected]_s01...
    > >
    > > C'mon Tom -- even I do not believe that 707 stuff.

    > It was actually a pretty funny deal. We lost 12,000 feet of altitude in
    > about 3 or 4 seconds. There was a Nun walking down the aisle when we hit

    the
    > air pocket and she was carrying a rosary. As she went airborn and hit the
    > ceiling she screamed "JESUS CHRIST" and flung the rosary away from her, I
    > suppose in order to use her hands to grab something. The beads scattered

    all
    > over the cabin as the rosary came apart.
    >
    > That was only my first airline flight and it was in April 15, 1963 if I
    > remember correctly - my first day in the Air Force. Well, I'd had a flight
    > from Oakland to Los Angelos and this was the connecting flight to San
    > Antonio so you might call it my second flight.

  19. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    "Clovis Lark" wrote...

    > Now that our beta blockers have soothed our blood pressures, let's get to
    > that news item so nicely posted here the other day.

    Word up. The Commander in Chief runs a sub 7 minute mile.

  20. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "gwhite" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Ken Papai wrote:
    > >
    > > "Dan Chatten" <[email protected]> wrote .com...
    > > > I hope that I am hammering miles when I am his age, and can say I took
    > > > a good header :)

    > > ...versus Clinton who would jog 3 miles, then scarf down Big Macs and

    fries.

    > Please leave your nasty old politics out of my beloved rbr. Thanks.
    >
    > > To be President, and still find time to mtn bike, and take risks and

    crash
    > > means he is getting into it.

    > Maybe he just has an inner ear infection. He sure isn't listening to the

    Demagogues. Er, I mean
    > dem.. er nevermind.
    >
    > > If you don't crash then you're NOT trying.

    > I try not to crash. Thus if I crash I have failed in my attempt.

    Oh yeah, I forget, 'gwhite' is better at everything than anyone.

    Sorry,
    Ken