GeeDubya's Bike Wreck Redux

CowPunk wrote:
> 960 acres ~ 1 sq. mi.

Are you a product of the Texas school system?

Raoul Duke wrote:

> Interesting thing about Dubya's mountain bike wreck a couple of weeks ago.
> Apparently Dubya's ranch spokesperson claimed the wreck was due to a slip on
> soil loosened by rain. A shrewd reporter from a Texas rag called the Texas
> Observer checked the weather reports for Crawford and reported that it
> hadn't rained for weeks before Dubya's wreck.

The real reason for the wipe outs is he's got too much spin on
everything. Needs to go out there and just have a good time, not worry
how others will interpret events.

GOP Think Tank: Clearly it's an indication of how tough Bush is. Tough
timed call for a tough man.

DEM Think Tank: He's out of control, as usual.

Yeah, but ol' Tom was on the Sooper Sekrit X-001.5 Army Airforce jet
being tested in disguise as civilian aviation. The nun was actually an
observer and the scattering of beads was done for data analysis sake,
y'know, where they went, and such, each had a number on it. It was
piloted by none other than Smiling Jack, himself!

Ken Papai wrote:

> Oh yeah, I forget, 'gwhite' is better at everything than anyone.

I love you Ken. I'm here to help.

Love,
Greg

PS: I crashed. It hurt.

>From: Richard Adams [email protected]

>GOP Think Tank: Clearly it's an indication of how tough Bush is. Tough
>timed call for a tough man.
>
>DEM Think Tank: He's out of control, as usual.

That pretty well sums upthe thinking of the spin factories before the
election.
Bill C

Ken Papai wrote:

> If you don't crash then you're NOT trying.

You should identify your quotes by using quotation marks and proper
attribution. Like this:

"If you don't crash then you're NOT trying." -- Tyler Hamilton.

--

--------------------

Remove CLOTHES to reply

Michael <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Raoul Duke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Interesting thing about Dubya's mountain bike wreck a couple of weeks ago.
>> Apparently Dubya's ranch spokesperson claimed the wreck was due to a slip on
>> soil loosened by rain. A shrewd reporter from a Texas rag called the Texas
>> Observer checked the weather reports for Crawford and reported that it
>> hadn't rained for weeks before Dubya's wreck.

> There are many many things I dislike about GWB, but being
> a mountain biker or falling as a mountain biker is not one of
> them. Been there in a big way more than once.

That isn't the point. The point is it's hyped to the public as a
superhuman macho triumph where his heart rate is measured against that of
the winner of the TdF, the climbs, descents are never average: they are
epic, described like those in the Rockies, those riding with him can never
keep up. Get real, physically, he's an average joe in decent shape with
bad knees (his own admission). He's 58, only started riding in Febr. (his
own admission) yet he out rides the world, dazzles with daring do,
continues where his retinue falls by the wayside, their bones broken.
When was the last time a Fred rode consistently like that? One final
question? He claims it help clear his mind. Of what?

Dan Chatten <[email protected]> wrote:
> I hope that I am hammering miles when I am his age, and can say I took
> a good header :)

You can, I'm only 8 years away, but I gave up headers. I figured out how
the brakes work...

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 03:45:46 GMT, "Raoul Duke" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Interesting thing about Dubya's mountain bike wreck a couple of weeks ago.
>Apparently Dubya's ranch spokesperson claimed the wreck was due to a slip on
>soil loosened by rain. A shrewd reporter from a Texas rag called the Texas
>Observer checked the weather reports for Crawford and reported that it
>hadn't rained for weeks before Dubya's wreck.

I spent about five years in CenTex, mostly high school, and the
majority of my life before 25 between CenTex and just north of
Wichita, Kansas.

While they may have simply misreported the rainfall, it also is not
unusual to have local rain falls that would not show up at the weather
stations. I'm not familiar with Crawford, but the areas from CenTex
through southern Kansas have large areas between official weather
stations. If you were to make the above comment about anyone in those
areas experiencing a rain fall, the answer would probably be, "So
what?" I've seen wheat fields leveled by hail on days that were mostly
sunny and mild. Ten miles away and you could barely remember seeing
some dark clouds for a few minutes.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Ken Papai <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Dan Chatten" <[email protected]> wrote .com...
>> I hope that I am hammering miles when I am his age, and can say I took
>> a good header :)

> ...versus Clinton who would jog 3 miles, then scarf down Big Macs and fries.

> To be President, and still find time to mtn bike, and take risks and crash
> means he is getting into it.

Or stoopid(sic)

> If you don't crash then you're NOT trying.

Damn, I thought Lance was trying up ALpe d'Huez. I stand corrected.
Thanks.

TritonRider <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]

> %7DQKP5gMC&VolidT=836&ImageNumber=528114&SecNum=bMfLYTwT2BU0bA4%7El2WBy%7D
> 4qT&Caption=Aerial+of+George
>>+W+Bush+Ranch%2C+Crawford%2C+Texas&Height=92&Width=138&basket_id=&basket_

> name=&PhotogName=893&keywords=10+332+719+898+1071+1106+1657+1693+2324+2354
> +2413+2547+2646+2777+2892+3278+3763+3813+5781+5833&from=chubby
>>
>>See any hills? No?
>>
>>Let's take another look:
>>

>>http://www.photostogo.com/store/FullPreview.asp?SearchStr=#528112&Maxhi

> ts=1&P=1&dept_id=101&parentdept_id=100&Pagemode=&VolumeID=836&eVolidT=EjEu
> %7DQKP5eMC&VolidT=836&ImageNumber=528112&SecNum=bMfLYRwT2BS0bA2Al2UFZ%7D25
> D&Caption=Aerial+of+George+W
>>+Bush+Ranch%2C+Crawford%2C+Texas&Height=91&Width=138&basket_id=&basket_na

> me=&PhotogName=893&keywords=10+332+719+898+1071+1106+1657+1693+2324+2354+2
> 413+2547+2646+2777+2892+3278+3763+3813+5781+5833&from=chubby
>>
>>See any hills? No! Look again.
>>

>>http://www.photostogo.com/store/FullPreview.asp?SearchStr=#527938&Maxhi

> ts=1&P=1&dept_id=101&parentdept_id=100&Pagemode=&VolumeID=836&eVolidT=EjEu
> %7DQJX7uMC&VolidT=836&ImageNumber=527938&SecNum=bMeTkXwUJDY%7CUu6pK75%7D9w
> lZo&Caption=George+W+Bush%27
>>s+ranch%2C+Crawford%2C+Texas&Height=92&Width=138&basket_id=&basket_name=&

> PhotogName=893&keywords=10+163+332+426+436+451+626+713+717+719+898+987+107
> 1+1078+1106+1394+1411+1420+1464+1597+2324+2354+2495+2547+2646+2822+2892+32
> 78+3763+3774+3813+4419+5748+
>>5781+5833&fro
>>m=chubby
>>
>>Still no hills...
>>

>>http://www.photostogo.com/store/FullPreview.asp?SearchStr=#528111&Maxhi

> ts=1&P=1&dept_id=101&parentdept_id=100&Pagemode=&VolumeID=836&eVolidT=EjEu
> %7DQKP5dMC&VolidT=836&ImageNumber=528111&SecNum=bMfLYQwT2BR0bA3Bl2VFY%7D16
> E&Caption=Aerial+of+George+W
>>+Bush+Ranch%2C+Crawford%2C+Texas&Height=92&Width=138&basket_id=&basket_na

> me=&PhotogName=893&keywords=10+332+719+898+1071+1106+1657+1693+2324+2354+2
> 413+2547+2646+2777+2892+3278+3763+3813+5781+5833&from=chubby
>>
>>No hills but some weird ass floaters in the guppy pond...
>>
>>Here's a dog's eye view of that ride. Any hills?
>>

>>http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/07/images/20040727-1_hw8n227

> 4-515h.html
>>
>>Well, there was a tail wind...
>>
>>Hmmm, here's a map:
>>
>>http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~bump/ranch/Bush/Bushmap.JPG
>>
>>OK, now we know where to look:
>>

>>http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=14&n=3488979&e=641259&s=100&size=l&datu

> m=nad83&layer=DRG25
>>
>>Hmmm...
>>
>>No steep locations, hmmmm...
>>
>>Anyone want to comment on his claim on heartrate?
>>
>>"Over an 18-mile ride that lasted an hour and 20 minutes, he burns about
>>1,200 calories and his heart rate reaches 168 beats per minute. That's
>>nearly four times his resting rate and in the same range as Lance
>>Armstrong's when the six-time Tour de France winner is pedaling hard."

Thank you

> And Al Gore invented the internet.

Your problem...

> Get over it. At least both candidates ride some sort of bicycle.

Not from where I sit.

> Bill C

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 04:49:22 GMT, "Jim Flom" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Word up. The Commander in Chief runs a sub 7 minute mile.

So what drugs do you think he's taking? And who's supplying?

Actually, one article said he is moving fromrunning to bicycling
because its easier on his joints. Us people over 50 can identify.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Tim Lines wrote:
> You should identify your quotes by using quotation marks and proper
> attribution. Like this:
>
> "If you don't crash then you're NOT trying." -- Tyler Hamilton.

"If you don't break your collar bone then you're NOT trying." -- Cadel
Evans.

Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>

> http://www.photostogo.com/store/Ful...892+3278+3763+3774+3813+4419+5748+5781+5833&f

ro
>> m=chubby
>>
>> Still no hills...

> Then look a little closer in the background. Do you note the gulleys? Thatls
> the brownish stuff with the green sticking up around it.

> Try going down there and riding some of the so-called flat Texas terrain and
> see what you think about it.

I know what gullies are, we have 250 foot elevation changes here in IN. I
read the topos and nothing came close to what the article described. My
hunch is that some flabby assed DC correspondent was assigned the report
and damn near died. So they wrote it like they were riding the Himalayas.

> It sure as hell ain't Mt. Tamalpias but when they held the Jr. Nationals
> down there it was one hell of a lot more hilly that I expected it to be and
> we were up in the panhandle where it is supposed to be the flattest part.

Where on the Gee Dubya Ranch?

> My very first long airplane flight came into El Paso and there was a range
> of hills outside of town that had a downdraft so powerful that our 707 came
> damned close to dropping out of the sky.

El Paso, for the uninitiated is 650 west of Crawford. May I now describe
Salina KS by referencing Breckenridge CO?

Holden Caufield <[email protected]> wrote:
> 12,000 feet in 3 or 4 seconds ? The plane would have disintegrated at that
> rate, let alone recovery from the dive would have been impossible.
> http://www.thesunlink.com/news/99november/daily/1124b1b.html

But it makes the event sound epic! Kinda like describing GW's tumble over
the handle bars.

> The airplane descended to about 5,000 feet in 63 seconds before the
> flightcrew regained control

> That would be 34,00 0ft in 63 seconds (539 ft/sec) you state 12,000 in 4
> seconds ( 3,000 ft sec)

>> "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >
>> > C'mon Tom -- even I do not believe that 707 stuff.

>> It was actually a pretty funny deal. We lost 12,000 feet of altitude in
>> about 3 or 4 seconds. There was a Nun walking down the aisle when we hit

> the
>> air pocket and she was carrying a rosary. As she went airborn and hit the
>> ceiling she screamed "JESUS CHRIST" and flung the rosary away from her, I
>> suppose in order to use her hands to grab something. The beads scattered

> all
>> over the cabin as the rosary came apart.
>>
>> That was only my first airline flight and it was in April 15, 1963 if I
>> remember correctly - my first day in the Air Force. Well, I'd had a flight
>> from Oakland to Los Angelos and this was the connecting flight to San
>> Antonio so you might call it my second flight.

Jim Flom <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Clovis Lark" wrote...
>>
>> Now that our beta blockers have soothed our blood pressures, let's get to
>> that news item so nicely posted here the other day.

> Word up. The Commander in Chief runs a sub 7 minute mile.

According to him, he doesn't run any more: knees.

"Clovis Lark" wrote...

> According to him, he doesn't run any more: knees.

It's just a political ploy since Kerry got photographed with his Serotta.
;-)

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:39:46 +0200, Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote:

>Ken Papai wrote:
>>> If you don't crash then you're NOT trying.

>Tim Lines wrote:
>> You should identify your quotes by using quotation marks and proper
>> attribution. Like this:
>>
>> "If you don't crash then you're NOT trying." -- Tyler Hamilton.

>"If you don't break your collar bone then you're NOT trying." -- Cadel
>Evans.

"If you did a little stinking upper body training you'd have the strength to
manhandle the bike and fall less often and maybe, just maybe, not break
something every damn time you did fall." Ron Bales

"Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
news:[email protected]...
> Michael <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Raoul Duke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Interesting thing about Dubya's mountain bike wreck a couple of weeks

ago.
> >> Apparently Dubya's ranch spokesperson claimed the wreck was due to a

slip on
> >> soil loosened by rain. A shrewd reporter from a Texas rag called the

Texas
> >> Observer checked the weather reports for Crawford and reported that it
> >> hadn't rained for weeks before Dubya's wreck.

> > There are many many things I dislike about GWB, but being
> > a mountain biker or falling as a mountain biker is not one of
> > them. Been there in a big way more than once.

> That isn't the point. The point is it's hyped to the public as a
> superhuman macho triumph where his heart rate is measured against that of
> the winner of the TdF, the climbs, descents are never average: they are
> epic, described like those in the Rockies, those riding with him can never
> keep up. Get real, physically, he's an average joe in decent shape with
> bad knees (his own admission). He's 58, only started riding in Febr. (his
> own admission) yet he out rides the world, dazzles with daring do,
> continues where his retinue falls by the wayside, their bones broken.
> When was the last time a Fred rode consistently like that? One final
> question? He claims it help clear his mind. Of what?
>
> > M.

Did the photos show the secret service agents running alongside ??

--
Bonne route,

Sandy
Paris FR

"Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Michael <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Raoul Duke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Interesting thing about Dubya's mountain bike wreck a couple of weeks ago.
> >> Apparently Dubya's ranch spokesperson claimed the wreck was due to a slip on
> >> soil loosened by rain. A shrewd reporter from a Texas rag called the Texas
> >> Observer checked the weather reports for Crawford and reported that it
> >> hadn't rained for weeks before Dubya's wreck.

> > There are many many things I dislike about GWB, but being
> > a mountain biker or falling as a mountain biker is not one of
> > them. Been there in a big way more than once.

> That isn't the point.

Well, that isn't your point. There are many points.

M.