GeeDubya's Bike Wreck Redux

RonSonic <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Having the guts not to learn from his errors...

>>So, you're saying that if someone like Lance were to take a tumble and then
>>do it again a few days later, he didn't learn from his mistake? Are you
>>saying that when we watch an X-gamer take a tumble, something I'm sure
>>they've done many times before, they didn't learn from their mistakes?
>>
>>GWB took a couple of tumbles on a mountain bike and kept going. Where is
>>the mistake in that?

> With some people GWB breathing is a mistake. There is nothing Bush can do that
> they will concede was not a bad thing.

The choking on a pretzel?

Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> "Holden Caufield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > 12,000 feet in 3 or 4 seconds ? The plane would have disintegrated at

>> that
>> > rate, let alone recovery from the dive would have been impossible.
>> > http://www.thesunlink.com/news/99november/daily/1124b1b.html

>> In case you were unaware of it, an air pocket is not a dive.

> Uh, Tom, I think you might be mistaken about your cited distance or time
> in this. You said the plane "lost 12,000 feet of altitude in about 3 or 4
> seconds". 12,000 feet is 2.273 miles, so to move that distance in 4 seconds
> would mean the plane was going 2045 miles per hour; to cover that same
> distance in 3 seconds would convert to 2727 mph. A 707 has a cruise speed
> of 550 mph, and I don't think it could survive a sink rate as high as the
> numbers I gave above. It certainly couldn't survive the acceleration and
> deceleration required to achieve those speeds in that time. Also, I'm not
> sure what you mean by an "air pocket" in this situation. Massive downdraft?
> Just curious...

I'm still waiting to find out why this incident, 650 miles west of
Crawford is relevant...

Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tom Kunich wrote:
> > "Holden Caufield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> 12,000 feet in 3 or 4 seconds ? The plane would have disintegrated at
> >> that rate, let alone recovery from the dive would have been impossible.
> >> http://www.thesunlink.com/news/99november/daily/1124b1b.html

> > In case you were unaware of it, an air pocket is not a dive.

> That's some air pocket.

Big enough to hide WMDs in.

Didn't know 707s were rated for supersonic.

"Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Holden Caufield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > 12,000 feet in 3 or 4 seconds ? The plane would have disintegrated at

> > that
> > > rate, let alone recovery from the dive would have been impossible.
> > > http://www.thesunlink.com/news/99november/daily/1124b1b.html

> > In case you were unaware of it, an air pocket is not a dive.

> Uh, Tom, I think you might be mistaken about your cited distance or

time
> in this. You said the plane "lost 12,000 feet of altitude in about 3 or 4
> seconds". 12,000 feet is 2.273 miles, so to move that distance in 4

seconds
> would mean the plane was going 2045 miles per hour; to cover that same
> distance in 3 seconds would convert to 2727 mph. A 707 has a cruise speed
> of 550 mph, and I don't think it could survive a sink rate as high as the
> numbers I gave above. It certainly couldn't survive the acceleration and
> deceleration required to achieve those speeds in that time. Also, I'm not
> sure what you mean by an "air pocket" in this situation. Massive

downdraft?
> Just curious...

Of course you're correct. But we did start at 24,000 feet and the pilot came
on telling everyone we'd just lost 12,000 feet. So it must have been the
time. Watching that nun plastered against the ceiling may have been a lot
longer than I thought though at the time however long it was it seemed like
forever.

"Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm still waiting to find out why this incident, 650 miles west of
> Crawford is relevant...

Not relavent to the subject but a side conversation.

The whole point is that a rank amateur mountain bike rider can find plenty
of terrain to burn him out even in what is supposedly flat Texas. Hell, I
rode Highway 1 from Sea Ranch to Gualala and back and it tired me out and
was only 20 miles. Of course part of that was from the tension of tractor
trailer rigs bursting past at 60 mph with about 18" in between me and them.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Of course you're correct. But we did start at 24,000 feet and the pilot came
> on telling everyone we'd just lost 12,000 feet. So it must have been the
> time. Watching that nun plastered against the ceiling may have been a lot
> longer than I thought though at the time however long it was it seemed like
> forever.

Ahh, there you go. I imagine the pilot may have misspoken about the
distance - possibly due to the puddle in his own shorts.

"Why'd the windshield fall out of the Northwestern jet?"
"They were trying to pass a sixpack to the nearby Delta jet."

--
tanx,
Howard

So far, so good, so what?

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> I'm still waiting to find out why this incident, 650 miles west of
>> Crawford is relevant...

> Not relavent to the subject but a side conversation.

> The whole point is that a rank amateur mountain bike rider can find plenty
> of terrain to burn him out even in what is supposedly flat Texas. Hell, I
> rode Highway 1 from Sea Ranch to Gualala and back and it tired me out and
> was only 20 miles. Of course part of that was from the tension of tractor
> trailer rigs bursting past at 60 mph with about 18" in between me and them.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20040727/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_bush_mountain_biking
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20040726/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_bush_mountain_biking

It includes this: "...yet he takes on dangerous sections that would give
veterans pause. He keeps a cramp-inducing pace on long uphill sections,
pouring it on to reach each peak..."

"Over an 18-mile ride that lasted an hour and 20 minutes, he burns about
1,200 calories and his heart rate reaches 168 beats per minute. That's
about four times his resting rate and in the same range as Lance
Armstrong's when the six-time Tour de France winner is pedaling hard."

"He jokes that he was leading the "peleton," the rolling swarm of
bicyclists in races like the Tour de France — a race he watched regularly
this month before Armstrong's victory Sunday."

" "I'm gonna show you a hill that would choke a mule," he said."

What we have here is an updating of Mao swimming the Yellow River,
complete with ludicrous exagerations of terrain and laughable comparisons
to the elite in sport. Were this an oddity for this administration, one
might shrug it off. Unfortunately, it is part of a pattern.

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 16:36:56 +0000 (UTC), Clovis Lark
<[email protected]> wrote:

>What we have here is an updating of Mao swimming the Yellow River,
>complete with ludicrous exagerations of terrain and laughable comparisons
>to the elite in sport. Were this an oddity for this administration, one
>might shrug it off. Unfortunately, it is part of a pattern.

Damn - almost as bad as you'd hear after a traiing ride. This is the
kind of stupidity that takes away from legitimate arguments. So you
really think they expected us believe the peloton stuff? If they were
that dumb, they wouldn't be as dangerous as you evidently find them.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 16:36:56 +0000 (UTC), Clovis Lark
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>What we have here is an updating of Mao swimming the Yellow River,
>>complete with ludicrous exagerations of terrain and laughable comparisons
>>to the elite in sport. Were this an oddity for this administration, one
>>might shrug it off. Unfortunately, it is part of a pattern.

> Damn - almost as bad as you'd hear after a traiing ride. This is the
> kind of stupidity that takes away from legitimate arguments. So you
> really think they expected us believe the peloton stuff? If they were
> that dumb, they wouldn't be as dangerous as you evidently find them.

No, that ain't the point.

> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

"Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 16:36:56 +0000 (UTC), Clovis Lark
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>What we have here is an updating of Mao swimming the Yellow River,
> >>complete with ludicrous exagerations of terrain and laughable

comparisons
> >>to the elite in sport. Were this an oddity for this administration, one
> >>might shrug it off. Unfortunately, it is part of a pattern.

> > Damn - almost as bad as you'd hear after a traiing ride. This is the
> > kind of stupidity that takes away from legitimate arguments. So you
> > really think they expected us believe the peloton stuff? If they were
> > that dumb, they wouldn't be as dangerous as you evidently find them.

> No, that ain't the point.

That sure sounds like the point to me. I've heard the same thing coming out
of the mouths of guys whom I just rode a flat firetrail ride with.

In case you missed it - 18 miles and an hour and 20 minutes. If that doesn't
tell you something just what would?

"Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 16:36:56 +0000 (UTC), Clovis Lark
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>What we have here is an updating of Mao swimming the Yellow River,
> >>complete with ludicrous exagerations of terrain and laughable comparisons
> >>to the elite in sport. Were this an oddity for this administration, one
> >>might shrug it off. Unfortunately, it is part of a pattern.

> > Damn - almost as bad as you'd hear after a traiing ride. This is the
> > kind of stupidity that takes away from legitimate arguments. So you
> > really think they expected us believe the peloton stuff? If they were
> > that dumb, they wouldn't be as dangerous as you evidently find them.

> No, that ain't the point.

That's not your point. There are many points.

M.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> I'm still waiting to find out why this incident, 650 miles west of
>>> Crawford is relevant...

>> Not relavent to the subject but a side conversation.

>> The whole point is that a rank amateur mountain bike rider can find plenty
>> of terrain to burn him out even in what is supposedly flat Texas. Hell, I
>> rode Highway 1 from Sea Ranch to Gualala and back and it tired me out and
>> was only 20 miles. Of course part of that was from the tension of tractor
>> trailer rigs bursting past at 60 mph with about 18" in between me and them.

>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20040727/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_bush_mountain_biking
>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20040726/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_bush_mountain_biking
>

>It includes this: "...yet he takes on dangerous sections that would give
>veterans pause. He keeps a cramp-inducing pace on long uphill sections,
>pouring it on to reach each peak..."
>
> "Over an 18-mile ride that lasted an hour and 20 minutes, he burns about
>1,200 calories and his heart rate reaches 168 beats per minute. That's
>about four times his resting rate and in the same range as Lance
>Armstrong's when the six-time Tour de France winner is pedaling hard."
>
>"He jokes that he was leading the "peleton," the rolling swarm of
>bicyclists in races like the Tour de France — a race he watched regularly
>this month before Armstrong's victory Sunday."
>
>" "I'm gonna show you a hill that would choke a mule," he said."
>
>What we have here is an updating of Mao swimming the Yellow River,
>complete with ludicrous exagerations of terrain and laughable comparisons
>to the elite in sport. Were this an oddity for this administration, one
>might shrug it off. Unfortunately, it is part of a pattern.

Mao? Or maybe FDR and his water polo, Carter fighting deadly aquatic rabbits,
Clinton jogging, etc..

It's a freeking puff piece. That's ALL it is. Even Bush gets a few of those -
everybody does - whether you think he's entitled to them or not. It isn't part
of a pattern, unless you consider the entire history of human interest /
recreation stories a "pattern."

Ron

Clovis Lark wrote:

> It includes this: "...yet he takes on dangerous sections that would give
> veterans pause. He keeps a cramp-inducing pace on long uphill sections,
> pouring it on to reach each peak..."
>
> "Over an 18-mile ride that lasted an hour and 20 minutes, he burns about
> 1,200 calories and his heart rate reaches 168 beats per minute. That's
> about four times his resting rate and in the same range as Lance
> Armstrong's when the six-time Tour de France winner is pedaling hard."
> snip

If he fished he would presumably have caught a blue whale or a giant squid.

Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote:

> comparisons

>> > Damn - almost as bad as you'd hear after a traiing ride. This is the
>> > kind of stupidity that takes away from legitimate arguments. So you
>> > really think they expected us believe the peloton stuff? If they were
>> > that dumb, they wouldn't be as dangerous as you evidently find them.

>> No, that ain't the point.

> That sure sounds like the point to me. I've heard the same thing coming out
> of the mouths of guys whom I just rode a flat firetrail ride with.

> In case you missed it - 18 miles and an hour and 20 minutes. If that doesn't
> tell you something just what would?

That the ride was flat? Like the topo indicated?

Michael <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Damn - almost as bad as you'd hear after a traiing ride. This is the
>> > kind of stupidity that takes away from legitimate arguments. So you
>> > really think they expected us believe the peloton stuff? If they were
>> > that dumb, they wouldn't be as dangerous as you evidently find them.

>> No, that ain't the point.

> That's not your point. There are many points.

Just not of "light"...
> M.

RonSonic <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 16:36:56 +0000 (UTC), Clovis Lark
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Not relavent to the subject but a side conversation.

>>> The whole point is that a rank amateur mountain bike rider can find plenty
>>> of terrain to burn him out even in what is supposedly flat Texas. Hell, I
>>> rode Highway 1 from Sea Ranch to Gualala and back and it tired me out and
>>> was only 20 miles. Of course part of that was from the tension of tractor
>>> trailer rigs bursting past at 60 mph with about 18" in between me and them.

>>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20040727/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_bush_mountain_biking
>>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20040726/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_bush_mountain_biking
>>

>>It includes this: "...yet he takes on dangerous sections that would give
>>veterans pause. He keeps a cramp-inducing pace on long uphill sections,
>>pouring it on to reach each peak..."
>>
>> "Over an 18-mile ride that lasted an hour and 20 minutes, he burns about
>>1,200 calories and his heart rate reaches 168 beats per minute. That's
>>about four times his resting rate and in the same range as Lance
>>Armstrong's when the six-time Tour de France winner is pedaling hard."
>>
>>"He jokes that he was leading the "peleton," the rolling swarm of
>>bicyclists in races like the Tour de France — a race he watched regularly
>>this month before Armstrong's victory Sunday."
>>
>>" "I'm gonna show you a hill that would choke a mule," he said."
>>
>>What we have here is an updating of Mao swimming the Yellow River,
>>complete with ludicrous exagerations of terrain and laughable comparisons
>>to the elite in sport. Were this an oddity for this administration, one
>>might shrug it off. Unfortunately, it is part of a pattern.

> Mao? Or maybe FDR and his water polo, Carter fighting deadly aquatic rabbits,
> Clinton jogging, etc..

Axe Clinton, that was never epic. HOWEVER, I'd forgotten about the rabid
bunny! Now THERE was a tale!

> It's a freeking puff piece. That's ALL it is. Even Bush gets a few of those -
> everybody does - whether you think he's entitled to them or not. It isn't part
> of a pattern, unless you consider the entire history of human interest /
> recreation stories a "pattern."

Sure do

> Ron

Clovis Lark <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Get real, physically, he's an average joe in decent shape

He's in way better than in average shape. He used to run
at a pretty good clip until his knees gave out.

His ranch has a line of bluffs near a creek. Here's
a photo from the ranch:

http://tinyurl.com/5r8y7

It ain't Monitor pass, but you can probably get some OK
climbs and decents out of it, for Texas.

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 14:37:25 +0000 (UTC), Clovis Lark
<[email protected]> wrote:

>RonSonic <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 16:36:56 +0000 (UTC), Clovis Lark
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20040727/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_bush_mountain_biking
>>>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20040726/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_bush_mountain_biking
>>>

>>>It includes this: "...yet he takes on dangerous sections that would give
>>>veterans pause. He keeps a cramp-inducing pace on long uphill sections,
>>>pouring it on to reach each peak..."
>>>
>>> "Over an 18-mile ride that lasted an hour and 20 minutes, he burns about
>>>1,200 calories and his heart rate reaches 168 beats per minute. That's
>>>about four times his resting rate and in the same range as Lance
>>>Armstrong's when the six-time Tour de France winner is pedaling hard."
>>>
>>>"He jokes that he was leading the "peleton," the rolling swarm of
>>>bicyclists in races like the Tour de France — a race he watched regularly
>>>this month before Armstrong's victory Sunday."
>>>
>>>" "I'm gonna show you a hill that would choke a mule," he said."
>>>
>>>What we have here is an updating of Mao swimming the Yellow River,
>>>complete with ludicrous exagerations of terrain and laughable comparisons
>>>to the elite in sport. Were this an oddity for this administration, one
>>>might shrug it off. Unfortunately, it is part of a pattern.

>> Mao? Or maybe FDR and his water polo, Carter fighting deadly aquatic rabbits,
>> Clinton jogging, etc..

>Axe Clinton, that was never epic. HOWEVER, I'd forgotten about the rabid
>bunny! Now THERE was a tale!

That's the funny thing, how the story goes wrong and the reporter has to do
_something_ with it. The Carter thing was supposed to be just another "here he
is resting from the demands of State, communing with nature" and then that
happened. "Bush the avid cyclist" and he crashes. "Kerry the avid cyclist" and
he crashes. Not as much excitement and danger as Gerald Ford's golf game

>> It's a freeking puff piece. That's ALL it is. Even Bush gets a few of those -
>> everybody does - whether you think he's entitled to them or not. It isn't part
>> of a pattern, unless you consider the entire history of human interest /
>> recreation stories a "pattern."

>Sure do

Well, okay then. Just know that you'll always get 'em.

Ron

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 11:03:23 +0200, Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote:

>Clovis Lark wrote:
>>
>> It includes this: "...yet he takes on dangerous sections that would give
>> veterans pause. He keeps a cramp-inducing pace on long uphill sections,
>> pouring it on to reach each peak..."
>>
>> "Over an 18-mile ride that lasted an hour and 20 minutes, he burns about
>> 1,200 calories and his heart rate reaches 168 beats per minute. That's
>> about four times his resting rate and in the same range as Lance
>> Armstrong's when the six-time Tour de France winner is pedaling hard."
>> snip

>If he fished he would presumably have caught a blue whale or a giant squid.

Sure. Writing something interesting about a guy pedaling a damn bike around his
scrub-country ranch ain't easy. It helps if the writer is as clueless about
anything other than writing as writers usually are.

Ron

Ernst Blofeld wrote:

> It ain't Monitor pass, but you can probably get some OK
> climbs and decents out of it, for Texas.

Word is that the crash was caused by a bit of scrub that hadn't been
cleared properly getting tangled int he rear wheel.