Gel Cycling Gloves - advice please

I have the PI Gel Lite gloves and they worked great when I first got them. The padding seems to be 'flattening out' and not as effective anymore.

I do highly recommend Douglass Gel Handlebar Tape from Colorado Cyclist. It made a big difference for me.

fish156 said:
Move your saddle forward. Make sure your saddle is level(use a level!). If the nose is tilted down you will constantly be fighting to hold your weight back and, as a result, be putting more weight on your hands.
Don't mess with your saddle position if the problem is with your hands. You may end up just shifting the problem from your hands to your knees. If you can't get the weight off of your hands with bar/stem adjustments, you're on the wrong frame.

artmichalek said:
Don't mess with your saddle position if the problem is with your hands. You may end up just shifting the problem from your hands to your knees. If you can't get the weight off of your hands with bar/stem adjustments, you're on the wrong frame.
What's she got to lose? Do you know for a fact that her saddle is in the correct position as is? I'd say that if it fixes her CTS problem it's worth a shot. If her knees get sore then, sure, it did not work. But, who's to say that it will cause a knee problem? There's probably just as good a chance that it won't cause a problem. If you have a threadless headset there is not a whole lot you can do with a bike to make the body position more upright - short of replacing the fork or stem - other than moving the saddle closer. It's a trial and error process. Anyone that gets an absolute perfect fitting right off the bat is pretty damn lucky, but, that being said, a competent fitting is very important to get a good starting point. So, short of getting a fitting and a new bike, you work with what you can.

artmichalek said:
What's she got to lose? Do you know for a fact that her saddle is in the correct position as is? I'd say that if it fixes her CTS problem it's worth a shot. If her knees get sore then, sure, it did not work. But, who's to say that it will cause a knee problem? There's probably just as good a chance that it won't cause a problem. If you have a threadless headset there is not a whole lot you can do with a bike to make the body position more upright - short of replacing the fork or stem - other than moving the saddle closer. It's a trial and error process. Anyone that gets an absolute perfect fitting right off the bat is pretty damn lucky, but, that being said, a competent fitting is very important to get a good starting point. So, short of getting a fitting and a new bike, you work with what you can.

fish156 said:
A competent fitter would never recomend moving the saddle to adjust reach. And there's a lot you can do to adjust bar position with a threadless headset. If you can't get them in the right spot with a different stem, you can get an extender for the steerer tube. You don't need a new fork.

fish156 said:
A competent fitter would never recomend moving the saddle to adjust reach. And there's a lot you can do to adjust bar position with a threadless headset. If you can't get them in the right spot with a different stem, you can get an extender for the steerer tube. You don't need a new fork.

Try the Pearl Izumi Gel Lite glove. It is very light. Gel padding is in the right places and not thick. I paid $35.00 for mine. The glove feels almost like your not wearing them.

Angela Foster said:
I need to choose a new pair of gel cycling gloves. Could anyone tell me the best type to buy. I need small ladies size. I suffer from carpel tunnel syndrome so need a good layer of support. Has anyone experience of the 'wiggle' gloves?

Exactly, after a few rides the PI Gel Lite Gloves flatten out, yet the specialized BG pittards at half the price have not flatten out.

SilentShifter said:
I have the PI Gel Lite gloves and they worked great when I first got them. The padding seems to be 'flattening out' and not as effective anymore.

I do highly recommend Douglass Gel Handlebar Tape from Colorado Cyclist. It made a big difference for me.

Interesting, I haven't experienced this yet. I have about 1,000 miles on the current ones I have.

vchu7105 said:
Exactly, after a few rides the PI Gel Lite Gloves flatten out, yet the specialized BG pittards at half the price have not flatten out.

I'm really a huge fan of the Specialized Body Geometry gloves. They really did their homework and put the padding in the perfect place for riding a road bike, especially with hands on the hoods.