Gel handlebar pads; do they work?

rparedes

Jul 21, 2007
Anybody has any experience with the various gel pad/dampening wrap systems for handlebars? (aztec, nashbar, etc)
Curious to know if they really do work...

I have Specialized pads on my daily ride and they are OK. I really don't notice much difference between the cork wrapped handlebars with gel pads and cork wrapped without pads, but my gloves are padded. I really notice a difference though when I switch over to one of my vintage bikes with Benotto plastic handlebar tape.

They do make a difference, especially if your gloves aren't padded. The question is whether you need them.

Vibwrap - I have that on my bikes and notice the difference - even with gel gloves:) . I tried some Fizik gels and thought they were too thin:eek:
The Vibwrap is comfortable but not too bulky either. It helps to take the edge off the coarse grit roads we have a lot of here in NZ.

No experience with the gel pads, but to all you weight weenies out there, doesn't the thought of adding a few more grams onto your bike bother you?
rparedes said:
Anybody has any experience with the various gel pad/dampening wrap systems for handlebars? (aztec, nashbar, etc)

A few more grams compared with a higher level of comfort....give me comfort anyday:)

lohsnest said:
No experience with the gel pads, but to all you weight weenies out there, doesn't the thought of adding a few more grams onto your bike bother you?

Bigbananabike said:
Vibwrap - I have that on my bikes and notice the difference - even with gel gloves:) . I tried some Fizik gels and thought they were too thin:eek:
The Vibwrap is comfortable but not too bulky either. It helps to take the edge off the coarse grit roads we have a lot of here in NZ.

thanks!, I'll check it out...

Go for it.
See Joe at Bicycle Supply - net seller for it. Good guy to deal with too:)

QUOTE=rparedes]thanks!, I'll check it out...[/QUOTE]

rparedes said:

I recently acquired a used bike that had the Specialized gel pads on them. They do provide some additional padding, but increase the diameter of the bar. I have smallish hands so I removed the gel pads from the drops and left the gel pads on the tops of the bars, which provides a little padding when assuming a pseudo-aero position going into the wind with the forearms on the tops.

Never really felt the need to try them. I have found that I now prefer to ride even without gloves (although usually I ride about 50km in the summer - so no long distances).

Just don't crash without gloves!:eek:

Powerful Pete said:
Never really felt the need to try them. I have found that I now prefer to ride even without gloves (although usually I ride about 50km in the summer - so no long distances).