gel makes me puke

snaps10

Apr 26, 2006
the other day i was riding an easy flat training ride with a buddy we were around 8 miles in and i popped a gel i suddenly felt like throwing up, didnt even have time to stop, just turned my head and let fly (luckily we were in the middle of nowhere). i was fine afterward kinda thought to myself, "that was wierd" about 3 miles later on recovery from a sprint, same feeling, i was ready this time and hit the brakes right next to a flowerbed at the airport. "wow, really wierd"

heres the food situation.
night before - no dinner, drove home from tahoe and ate lunch (burger and salad) at 3:30 went to bed tired.
5:00 a.m. clif bar (carrotcake) and 12 oz of gatorade
round 5:30 power gel (strawberry banana- yuck)
5:32 blech all over the pavement

anyone else get this from gels. i dont usually use gel and this was the first time for a sweet tasting one.

I've never puked from one, but I often feel like I'm going to,
those things are nasty

LOL. Have you ever tried one of the "extra sodium" versions? One company markets a gel called "4X" with has four times the salt. Talk about a gag reflex -- the only good thing about it is it makes the regular version palatable in comparison.

rejobako said:
LOL. Have you ever tried one of the "extra sodium" versions? One company markets a gel called "4X" with has four times the salt. Talk about a gag reflex -- the only good thing about it is it makes the regular version palatable in comparison.
i want to find some good fast energy to take while training, but stopping to spew isn't part of my interval regimine. i have found that acai juice gives a very hearty pick me up. a 1 ounce shot on an empty stomach is like jet fuel.

Have you tried other brands? I find that the Gu brand a bit more palatable. It's not as thick as some of the other brands. I haven't had good success with the powerGel, but I do keep some of the aforementioned 4x's around for longer rides.

One thing that I try to do with new brands of gels is try them at home for just that reaction. I'll pop one while I'm at the computer or on the couch. I want to make sure I can tolerate something new before I test it while riding. I'm never puked, but I've ditched a few flavors (Hammer Gel raspberry, I think....)

If gels don't work for you, you can try the jellies or cubes instead.

You need to eat proper food. No wonder your body is rejecting the rubbish you eat.

Rice, pasta, fresh vegetables, fresh fish, lean meat, fresh fruit, bread and cereals are real food. Sport drinks are good if you are racing and training hard. Plain water is fine on easy rides and there is no way you need that gel **** 8 miles into a ride. When you need to eat on longer rides bananas are better than anything in a packet.

Jay.

otherworld said:
You need to eat proper food. No wonder your body is rejecting the rubbish you eat.

Rice, pasta, fresh vegetables, fresh fish, lean meat, fresh fruit, bread and cereals are real food. Sport drinks are good if you are racing and training hard. Plain water is fine on easy rides and there is no way you need that gel **** 8 miles into a ride. When you need to eat on longer rides bananas are better than anything in a packet.

Jay.
i dont typically eat that way, but on a 6 1/2 hr drive with a 2 yr old and a newborn, a burger is what is there for dinner. the only reason i took a gel is because i was feeling tired and hoping for a pick me up. this morning i ate my typical breakfast of oatmeal with honey and raisins, cup of coffee, a banana on the way to a buddys house. felt great. im going to have to try some of the calmer tasting gels.

I have never had any problems with the Powerbar Power Gels. I dunno why but I really like the Raspberry flavored ones :p.

The taste and consistency of gels vary quite a bit from brand to brand. I would echo the above comment to try some different gels. For example, I personally have had the best luck with Hammer Gels. They have a more runny consistency and I find the tropical flavor pretty easy on the palate. You just need to sample some different brands and find something you can bear.

Crashola said:
The taste and consistency of gels vary quite a bit from brand to brand. I would echo the above comment to try some different gels. For example, I personally have had the best luck with Hammer Gels. They have a more runny consistency and I find the tropical flavor pretty easy on the palate. You just need to sample some different brands and find something you can bear.
The hammer chocolate is pretty yummy too. Do most agree with the previous comment about a banna being better than gel. I thought bannanas really caused a release of sugar and insulin spike.

Otherworld is right: WTF happened to breakfast????? You know, cereal, toast, fruit juice, fruit, read the paper. It doesn't matter that it's 5:00am, you still have to eat something FFS.

And why in hell are you slurping down a gel (read PURE CARBS) 5 minutes into your ride on an empty stomach?? your asking for trouble on two counts: piling goo onto and empty stomach when you're hungry (ie. after a night's sleep) will make you feel ill, and your pancreas is going to chuck a major tantrum and give you a severe sugar low if you manage to keep it down.

Read the goo literature, find out when and how to take them, and make sure you eat brekky instead of relying on **** concoctions to get you through your training.