A friend of mine (yes, really) recently bought a pair of Gelert Batuta boots for a walking holiday in Madeira. The boots twice came unlaced, each time causing her to trip and causing minor injuries. She's contacted Batuta, who say they've not had any problems reported.
A friend of mine (yes, really) recently bought a pair of Gelert Batuta boots for a walking holiday in Madeira. The boots twice came unlaced, each time causing her to trip and causing minor injuries. She's contacted Batuta, who say they've not had any problems reported.
I've had similar problems, but with new shoes or new laces. One way around the problem is to dab a bit of shoe polish on on a cloth, and draw the lace through the polished bit to coat the lace, and then draw the polished lace through a clean bit of cloth to remove any excess. I got this tip from a TV programme, 'tricks of the trade' (or something like that) and it seems to work.
Apart from double knoting them, i`ve recently tried putting an extra turn through when doing the first part of the knot (take both ends, put one over the other like normal but then pass through again before pulling tight). I don`t know if it will stop them coming undone but it stops them coming loose and possibly gives a flatter, more comfortable knot.
I wonder if a change of laces may help, too slick and they may slip more, too long and they may get caught in undergrowth.
"Rip van Winkle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
A friend of mine (yes, really) recently bought a pair of Gelert Batuta
boots
Quoted message said:
for a walking holiday in Madeira. The boots twice came unlaced, <snip>
Quoted message said:
Apart from double knoting them, i`ve recently tried putting an extra turn through when doing the first part of the knot (take both ends, put one over the other like normal but then pass through again before pulling tight). I don`t know if it will stop them coming undone but it stops them coming loose and possibly gives a flatter, more comfortable knot.
I wonder if a change of laces may help, too slick and they may slip more, too long and they may get caught in undergrowth.
I double knot by default. It keeps the laces neater in any case. -- Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"