Gelert boots - (un)lacing problem?

Rip van Winkle

Guest
Hi all

A friend of mine (yes, really) recently bought a pair of Gelert Batuta boots
for a walking holiday in Madeira. The boots twice came unlaced, each time
causing her to trip and causing minor injuries. She's contacted Batuta, who
say they've not had any problems reported.

She's not out to sue or anything - just wondering if anyone else has had a
similar problem. The boots are here ..
http://www.gelert.com/products/product_details.asp?ProductID=1180

Thanks for any information.

--
Rip van W
hhmm = 6 minutes to midnight

Oops - sorry for the double post, folks

Tony T

news:[email protected]...

Rip van Winkle wrote:
> Hi all
>
> A friend of mine (yes, really) recently bought a pair of Gelert Batuta boots
> for a walking holiday in Madeira. The boots twice came unlaced, each time
> causing her to trip and causing minor injuries. She's contacted Batuta, who
> say they've not had any problems reported.
>
> She's not out to sue or anything - just wondering if anyone else has had a
> similar problem. The boots are here ..
> http://www.gelert.com/products/product_details.asp?ProductID=1180

I've had similar problems, but with new shoes or new laces. One way
around the problem is to dab a bit of shoe polish on on a cloth, and
draw the lace through the polished bit to coat the lace, and then draw
the polished lace through a clean bit of cloth to remove any excess. I
got this tip from a TV programme, 'tricks of the trade' (or something
like that) and it seems to work.

--
Dave McLaughlin

**** Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum

"Tony T" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Oops - sorry for the double post, folks
>
> Tony T
>
> "Rip van Winkle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi all
> >
> > A friend of mine (yes, really) recently bought a pair of Gelert Batuta

> boots
> > for a walking holiday in Madeira. The boots twice came unlaced, each time
> > causing her to trip and causing minor injuries. She's contacted Batuta,

> who
> > say they've not had any problems reported.
> >
> > She's not out to sue or anything - just wondering if anyone else has had a
> > similar problem. The boots are here ..
> > http://www.gelert.com/products/product_details.asp?ProductID=1180
> >
> > Thanks for any information.
> >
> > --
> > Rip van W
> > hhmm = 6 minutes to midnight

Apart from double knoting them, i`ve recently tried putting an extra
turn through when doing the first part of the knot (take both ends,
put one over the other like normal but then pass through again before
pulling tight). I don`t know if it will stop them coming undone but
it stops them coming loose and possibly gives a flatter, more
comfortable knot.

I wonder if a change of laces may help, too slick and they may slip
more, too long and they may get caught in undergrowth.

Ed.

On 26 Aug 2004 01:43:24 -0700, Ed Whittaker wrote:

>> "Rip van Winkle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > A friend of mine (yes, really) recently bought a pair of Gelert Batuta

>> boots
>> > for a walking holiday in Madeira. The boots twice came unlaced, <snip>

>Apart from double knoting them, i`ve recently tried putting an extra
>turn through when doing the first part of the knot (take both ends,
>put one over the other like normal but then pass through again before
>pulling tight). I don`t know if it will stop them coming undone but
>it stops them coming loose and possibly gives a flatter, more
>comfortable knot.
>
>I wonder if a change of laces may help, too slick and they may slip
>more, too long and they may get caught in undergrowth.

I double knot by default. It keeps the laces neater in any case.