Gelert boots - (un)lacing problem?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Rip van Winkle, Aug 25, 2004.

  1. Hi all

    A friend of mine (yes, really) recently bought a pair of Gelert Batuta boots
    for a walking holiday in Madeira. The boots twice came unlaced, each time
    causing her to trip and causing minor injuries. She's contacted Batuta, who
    say they've not had any problems reported.

    She's not out to sue or anything - just wondering if anyone else has had a
    similar problem. The boots are here ..
    http://www.gelert.com/products/product_details.asp?ProductID=1180

    Thanks for any information.

    --
    Rip van W
    hhmm = 6 minutes to midnight

    Tags:

  2. Tony T

    Tony T Guest

    Oops - sorry for the double post, folks

    Tony T

    news:[email protected]

  3. Rip van Winkle wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > A friend of mine (yes, really) recently bought a pair of Gelert Batuta boots
    > for a walking holiday in Madeira. The boots twice came unlaced, each time
    > causing her to trip and causing minor injuries. She's contacted Batuta, who
    > say they've not had any problems reported.
    >
    > She's not out to sue or anything - just wondering if anyone else has had a
    > similar problem. The boots are here ..
    > http://www.gelert.com/products/product_details.asp?ProductID=1180

    I've had similar problems, but with new shoes or new laces. One way
    around the problem is to dab a bit of shoe polish on on a cloth, and
    draw the lace through the polished bit to coat the lace, and then draw
    the polished lace through a clean bit of cloth to remove any excess. I
    got this tip from a TV programme, 'tricks of the trade' (or something
    like that) and it seems to work.

    --
    Dave McLaughlin

    Homo Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum

  4. Ed Whittaker

    Ed Whittaker Guest

    "Tony T" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Oops - sorry for the double post, folks
    >
    > Tony T
    >
    > "Rip van Winkle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > A friend of mine (yes, really) recently bought a pair of Gelert Batuta

    > boots
    > > for a walking holiday in Madeira. The boots twice came unlaced, each time
    > > causing her to trip and causing minor injuries. She's contacted Batuta,

    > who
    > > say they've not had any problems reported.
    > >
    > > She's not out to sue or anything - just wondering if anyone else has had a
    > > similar problem. The boots are here ..
    > > http://www.gelert.com/products/product_details.asp?ProductID=1180
    > >
    > > Thanks for any information.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Rip van W
    > > hhmm = 6 minutes to midnight

    Apart from double knoting them, i`ve recently tried putting an extra
    turn through when doing the first part of the knot (take both ends,
    put one over the other like normal but then pass through again before
    pulling tight). I don`t know if it will stop them coming undone but
    it stops them coming loose and possibly gives a flatter, more
    comfortable knot.

    I wonder if a change of laces may help, too slick and they may slip
    more, too long and they may get caught in undergrowth.

    Ed.

  5. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On 26 Aug 2004 01:43:24 -0700, Ed Whittaker wrote:

    >> "Rip van Winkle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >> > A friend of mine (yes, really) recently bought a pair of Gelert Batuta

    >> boots
    >> > for a walking holiday in Madeira. The boots twice came unlaced, <snip>

    >Apart from double knoting them, i`ve recently tried putting an extra
    >turn through when doing the first part of the knot (take both ends,
    >put one over the other like normal but then pass through again before
    >pulling tight). I don`t know if it will stop them coming undone but
    >it stops them coming loose and possibly gives a flatter, more
    >comfortable knot.
    >
    >I wonder if a change of laces may help, too slick and they may slip
    >more, too long and they may get caught in undergrowth.

    I double knot by default. It keeps the laces neater in any case.