Gelert sleeping bags (x-treme Light 1200)

Dafydd Ap Arwyn

Guest
Hi all. Got a little Question.

While i intended to get a nice ME or some other expensive make bag for about
£120-150, finances are poor.
So when i see a Gelert X-TREME LITE 1200 SLEEPING BAG (scuse caps, cut 'n
paste!) for £40 (then i find it for about £30), with the following specs:-

A 3 season Nylon sleeping bag with ratings of Extreme -11°C and Comfort -6°C
to +7°C.
Weight : 1200g.

I think.. hmm.... that would fit quite nicely in my ProAction1 (mk1 -
original and still the best).

The only drawback i can see is the bulk (and i'd imagine durability would
not be excellent), but the weight is low and -6C should do me on an easter
2/3 dayer across the Moelwyn(au/wyns).
So, to cut a long post slightly short, anyone used em, and are they any
good? Or got another suitable, *light* bag for a similar budget????

Ta.
T Dave R.

It might be worth it in the short run but I find that synthetic bags are
never as good as down. Beware of the -6 rating. I suspect that doesn't
really mean that much!

When it comes to sleeping in cold(ish) conditions you really do get what you
pay for!

--
Andy Howell
Birmingham, UK

To mail simply put back the dots ...
http://www.ecotrend.org.uk/walking/

Ysgrifennodd "Andy Howell" <andy.howellNOSPAM@ecotrendDOTorgDOTuk> mewn
neges newyddion:BE1D8825.3F3AA%andy.howellNOSPAM@ecotrendDOTorgDOTuk...
> It might be worth it in the short run but I find that synthetic bags are
> never as good as down. Beware of the -6 rating. I suspect that doesn't
> really mean that much!
>
> When it comes to sleeping in cold(ish) conditions you really do get what
> you
> pay for!

I agree, but i just need one for the short term (this year until i get more
cash).
If it's forecasting really cold weather end of March, i'll probly not bother
anyway unless i've
got decent gear. I'm also a little reluctant to trust the claims. But i have
still got an old
Vango sleeping bag that i know keeps you warm at subzero but it's so bulky
as to make it
impractical to carry in a 40litre 'sac.

'spose i should forget that shiny new GPS i'm after (though it would get
lots more use than
a bag) and get a new sleeping bag, it's just not got as many buttons!

T Dave R.

It will do the job if you are prepared to wear some clothes while you sleep
when it gets below zero. Gelert do some OK gear, I picked up a Trangia
clone made by them, its very good but very light and will not take the
knocks an original Trangia will

All the best

Richard

"Andy Howell" <andy.howellNOSPAM@ecotrendDOTorgDOTuk> wrote in message
> It might be worth it in the short run but I find that synthetic bags are
> never as good as down. Beware of the -6 rating. I suspect that doesn't
> really mean that much!
>
> When it comes to sleeping in cold(ish) conditions you really do get what
> you
> pay for!
>

> On 25/1/05 8:09 pm, in article [email protected], "Dafydd
> Ap Arwyn" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all. Got a little Question.
>>
>> While i intended to get a nice ME or some other expensive make bag for
>> about
>> £120-150, finances are poor.
>> So when i see a Gelert X-TREME LITE 1200 SLEEPING BAG (scuse caps, cut
>> 'n
>> paste!) for £40 (then i find it for about £30), with the following
>> specs:-
>>
>> A 3 season Nylon sleeping bag with ratings of Extreme -11°C and
>> Comfort -6°C
>> to +7°C.
>> Weight : 1200g.
>>
>> I think.. hmm.... that would fit quite nicely in my ProAction1 (mk1 -
>> original and still the best).
>>
>> The only drawback i can see is the bulk (and i'd imagine durability would
>> not be excellent), but the weight is low and -6C should do me on an
>> easter
>> 2/3 dayer across the Moelwyn(au/wyns).
>> So, to cut a long post slightly short, anyone used em, and are they any
>> good? Or got another suitable, *light* bag for a similar budget????
>>
>> Ta.
>> T Dave R.
>>

> --
> Andy Howell
> Birmingham, UK
>
> To mail simply put back the dots ...
> http://www.ecotrend.org.uk/walking/

I think a good sleeping would be a priority, for me over a GPS. Don't buy
an expensive GPS - a simple etrex will tell you where you are (by far the
best use for them). I bought Magellan Colour Trak last year and hardly use
it for anything other than spot readings when I am lost.

My experience of cheap synthetic sleeping bags is that they deteriorate
quckly, but for one season you will be fine. On the other hand I am
fascinated by the magical properties of down. My Rab Quantum 400 seems to
weigh nothing and yet keeps me warm well below freezing. And it keeps on
going after washing. Expensive, but not anymore than a GPS!

On 26/1/05 8:55 pm, in article [email protected], "Dafydd Ap

--
Andy Howell
Birmingham, UK

To mail simply put back the dots ...
http://www.ecotrend.org.uk/walking/

Thanks Andy and Richard.
The sensible part of me agrees. I'm gonna spend £114 on an e-trex venture,
it's got all the features i need (an emergency locator,and to store my
actual walked route. Plus it comes with PC cable already.), but a sleeping
bag is much more important considering i can use a map and compass.

But my problem's solved. I think i've wangled the finances together, meaning
i can justify (as well as afford!) spending £130-150 on a down sleeping bag
(i agree, quality is well superior), along with either an Akto or Laserlite
(decisions).

I'm never one to buy cheap if i can help it! usually end up buying twice.

Unfortunately, the Rab (ive read such good things about it!) is out of my
range at £250.. My GF would kill me!

T Dave R.

p.s. any suggestions for light 3 season bags (warmer the better) at this
price???

Dafydd Ap Arwyn wrote:
> Thanks Andy and Richard.
> The sensible part of me agrees. I'm gonna spend £114 on an e-trex
> venture, it's got all the features i need (an emergency locator,and to
> store my actual walked route. Plus it comes with PC cable already.), but
> a sleeping bag is much more important considering i can use a map and
> compass.
>
> But my problem's solved. I think i've wangled the finances together,
> meaning i can justify (as well as afford!) spending £130-150 on a down
> sleeping bag (i agree, quality is well superior), along with either an
> Akto or Laserlite (decisions).
>
> I'm never one to buy cheap if i can help it! usually end up buying twice.
>
> Unfortunately, the Rab (ive read such good things about it!) is out of my
> range at £250.. My GF would kill me!
>
> T Dave R.
>
> p.s. any suggestions for light 3 season bags (warmer the better) at this
> price???

How about one of these.

http://www.trekdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Comfort_Down_Filled_Range_20.html

or the performance range. I have the -10°C . Packs small and is very warm.

http://www.trekdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Performance_Down_Filled_Range_21.html

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy
Sandy

Ta,
They look reasonable.
i'll get my shopping brain in next week and have a proper look.
If they pack small, that's good cos i want to squeeze all into a 40litre
pack.

Have to say, i have mixed feelings about the top of the range bag in *gold*!

T Dave Roberts

In article <[email protected]>, Dafydd Ap Arwyn
<[email protected]> writes
>p.s. any suggestions for light 3 season bags (warmer the better) at this
>price???

Mountain Equipment do a Classic range and a Dreamcatcher range that
might suit your needs at your budget.

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/sleepingbags/classic
http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/sleepingbags/dreamcatcher

In either range the 500 or 750 should suit you

Cotswold do them but you should google around to see if you can find
better prices (some places will give you discount if you are a member of
a club or some organisations)

http://www.cotswold-outdoor.com/Cat/35598

Aktiv8 have some offers on the Dreamcatchers at the moment
http://www.aktive8.com/categories.html?cat=71

--

Dominic Sexton

Dafydd Ap Arwyn wrote:
> 'spose i should forget that shiny new GPS i'm after (though it would get
> lots more use than a bag)

Depends how you define "much use". If you're recording track logs,
possibly true, but for occasional use of checking where you are or
marking waypoints for just in case retreats (all I usually use mine for)
then I think it's fair to say a couple of nights in my sleeping bag
accounts for more time than I've ever spent using my GPS unit (and I've
had one for about 4 years...).

I do like the GPS for skiing, when my hands are full and navigation is
intrinsically tricky for several reasons, for sea kayaking when having
the ground move underneath you makes it "interesting" at times, but for
walking I usually leave it at home simply because it doesn't generally
help much/at all with routine navigation (if you want to record track
log data, that's a different matter!)

Also remember that a good down bag is "in use" all the time you carry it
and it is taking up less space and weighing less than a cheaper synthetic.

> p.s. any suggestions for light 3 season bags (warmer the better) at this
> price???

Note that temperature ratings aren't standards and are just a
combination of a guess and some marketing. So just because Brand X say
their bag does "-5 C" doesn't really mean anything except it'll keep you
warmer than the same company's 0 C model. Aside from bags not having
standards, people don't conform to them in any case: I lent my -25 C bag
out a few times to people who had it zipped up in /summer/, while I
eventually sold it because I'd only ever got the zip done all the way up
in 7 years and found it too hot for UK use...

IME, ME are reasonably trustworthy on their down bag ratings, Rab are,
if anything, erring on the side of caution, and most synthetic bag
ratings appear to be rather optimistic.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Ta for all the useful advice.
I was reading some old mags last night that put the RAB bags as well warm.
i'll have alook at the others and see what fits my budget.
I'm still hoping for the GPS as *well*! Technophilia is not easily cured!
(and neither is Hypothermia, i know :))

T Dave R.

says...
> Thanks Andy and Richard.
> The sensible part of me agrees. I'm gonna spend £114 on an e-trex venture,
> it's got all the features i need (an emergency locator,and to store my
> actual walked route. Plus it comes with PC cable already.), but a sleeping
> bag is much more important considering i can use a map and compass.
>
> But my problem's solved. I think i've wangled the finances together, meaning
> i can justify (as well as afford!) spending £130-150 on a down sleepingbag
> (i agree, quality is well superior), along with either an Akto or Laserlite
> (decisions).
>
> I'm never one to buy cheap if i can help it! usually end up buying twice.
>
> Unfortunately, the Rab (ive read such good things about it!) is out of my
> range at £250.. My GF would kill me!
>
> T Dave R.
>
> p.s. any suggestions for light 3 season bags (warmer the better) at this
> price???

the ME dreamcatcher should come in at about that price if you shop
around a bit. Very happy with mine, fine down around the -5 mark and I
love the stretchy leg bit (or tds as they call it).

--
Darren
mail to darren not ng

Ysgrifennodd "Dafydd Ap Arwyn" <[email protected]> mewn neges
newyddion:[email protected]...
> Hi all. Got a little Question.
>
> While i intended to get a nice ME or some other expensive make bag for
> about £120-150, finances are poor.
> So when i see a Gelert X-TREME LITE 1200 SLEEPING BAG (scuse caps, cut 'n
> paste!) for £40 (then i find it for about £30), with the following specs:-
>
> A 3 season Nylon sleeping bag with ratings of Extreme -11°C and
> Comfort -6°C to +7°C.
> Weight : 1200g.
>
> I think.. hmm.... that would fit quite nicely in my ProAction1 (mk1 -
> original and still the best).
>
> The only drawback i can see is the bulk (and i'd imagine durability would
> not be excellent), but the weight is low and -6C should do me on an easter
> 2/3 dayer across the Moelwyn(au/wyns).
> So, to cut a long post slightly short, anyone used em, and are they any
> good? Or got another suitable, *light* bag for a similar budget????
>
> Ta.
> T Dave R.

For interest I have just oredered a Mountain Equipment Classic Dragon 750
for a ton, so bargain methinks.
Thanks for the advice guys.
I've also ordered a GPS, so I'm one happy guy at the mo.
Trying to persuade meself to get some Cascada trews now, but afraid that
they may be too warm in summer....

Ta.

--

Only Fools and Ponies. (Carneddau ponies threatened by beaurocrats, you
decide which is which)