Gelert sleeping bags (x-treme Light 1200)

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Dafydd Ap Arwyn, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. Hi all. Got a little Question.

    While i intended to get a nice ME or some other expensive make bag for about
    £120-150, finances are poor.
    So when i see a Gelert X-TREME LITE 1200 SLEEPING BAG (scuse caps, cut 'n
    paste!) for £40 (then i find it for about £30), with the following specs:-

    A 3 season Nylon sleeping bag with ratings of Extreme -11°C and Comfort -6°C
    to +7°C.
    Weight : 1200g.

    I think.. hmm.... that would fit quite nicely in my ProAction1 (mk1 -
    original and still the best).

    The only drawback i can see is the bulk (and i'd imagine durability would
    not be excellent), but the weight is low and -6C should do me on an easter
    2/3 dayer across the Moelwyn(au/wyns).
    So, to cut a long post slightly short, anyone used em, and are they any
    good? Or got another suitable, *light* bag for a similar budget????

    Ta.
    T Dave R.

    Tags:

  2. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    It might be worth it in the short run but I find that synthetic bags are
    never as good as down. Beware of the -6 rating. I suspect that doesn't
    really mean that much!

    When it comes to sleeping in cold(ish) conditions you really do get what you
    pay for!

    --
    Andy Howell
    Birmingham, UK

    To mail simply put back the dots ...
    http://www.ecotrend.org.uk/walking/

  3. Ysgrifennodd "Andy Howell" <[email protected]> mewn
    neges newyddion:BE1D8825.3F3AA%[email protected]
    > It might be worth it in the short run but I find that synthetic bags are
    > never as good as down. Beware of the -6 rating. I suspect that doesn't
    > really mean that much!
    >
    > When it comes to sleeping in cold(ish) conditions you really do get what
    > you
    > pay for!

    I agree, but i just need one for the short term (this year until i get more
    cash).
    If it's forecasting really cold weather end of March, i'll probly not bother
    anyway unless i've
    got decent gear. I'm also a little reluctant to trust the claims. But i have
    still got an old
    Vango sleeping bag that i know keeps you warm at subzero but it's so bulky
    as to make it
    impractical to carry in a 40litre 'sac.

    'spose i should forget that shiny new GPS i'm after (though it would get
    lots more use than
    a bag) and get a new sleeping bag, it's just not got as many buttons!

    T Dave R.

  4. It will do the job if you are prepared to wear some clothes while you sleep
    when it gets below zero. Gelert do some OK gear, I picked up a Trangia
    clone made by them, its very good but very light and will not take the
    knocks an original Trangia will

    All the best

    Richard

    "Andy Howell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BE1D8825.3F3AA%[email protected]
    > It might be worth it in the short run but I find that synthetic bags are
    > never as good as down. Beware of the -6 rating. I suspect that doesn't
    > really mean that much!
    >
    > When it comes to sleeping in cold(ish) conditions you really do get what
    > you
    > pay for!
    >

    > On 25/1/05 8:09 pm, in article [email protected], "Dafydd
    > Ap Arwyn" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all. Got a little Question.
    >>
    >> While i intended to get a nice ME or some other expensive make bag for
    >> about
    >> £120-150, finances are poor.
    >> So when i see a Gelert X-TREME LITE 1200 SLEEPING BAG (scuse caps, cut
    >> 'n
    >> paste!) for £40 (then i find it for about £30), with the following
    >> specs:-
    >>
    >> A 3 season Nylon sleeping bag with ratings of Extreme -11°C and
    >> Comfort -6°C
    >> to +7°C.
    >> Weight : 1200g.
    >>
    >> I think.. hmm.... that would fit quite nicely in my ProAction1 (mk1 -
    >> original and still the best).
    >>
    >> The only drawback i can see is the bulk (and i'd imagine durability would
    >> not be excellent), but the weight is low and -6C should do me on an
    >> easter
    >> 2/3 dayer across the Moelwyn(au/wyns).
    >> So, to cut a long post slightly short, anyone used em, and are they any
    >> good? Or got another suitable, *light* bag for a similar budget????
    >>
    >> Ta.
    >> T Dave R.
    >>

    > --
    > Andy Howell
    > Birmingham, UK
    >
    > To mail simply put back the dots ...
    > http://www.ecotrend.org.uk/walking/

  5. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    I think a good sleeping would be a priority, for me over a GPS. Don't buy
    an expensive GPS - a simple etrex will tell you where you are (by far the
    best use for them). I bought Magellan Colour Trak last year and hardly use
    it for anything other than spot readings when I am lost.

    My experience of cheap synthetic sleeping bags is that they deteriorate
    quckly, but for one season you will be fine. On the other hand I am
    fascinated by the magical properties of down. My Rab Quantum 400 seems to
    weigh nothing and yet keeps me warm well below freezing. And it keeps on
    going after washing. Expensive, but not anymore than a GPS!

    On 26/1/05 8:55 pm, in article [email protected], "Dafydd Ap

    --
    Andy Howell
    Birmingham, UK

    To mail simply put back the dots ...
    http://www.ecotrend.org.uk/walking/

  6. Thanks Andy and Richard.
    The sensible part of me agrees. I'm gonna spend £114 on an e-trex venture,
    it's got all the features i need (an emergency locator,and to store my
    actual walked route. Plus it comes with PC cable already.), but a sleeping
    bag is much more important considering i can use a map and compass.

    But my problem's solved. I think i've wangled the finances together, meaning
    i can justify (as well as afford!) spending £130-150 on a down sleeping bag
    (i agree, quality is well superior), along with either an Akto or Laserlite
    (decisions).

    I'm never one to buy cheap if i can help it! usually end up buying twice.

    Unfortunately, the Rab (ive read such good things about it!) is out of my
    range at £250.. My GF would kill me!

    T Dave R.

    p.s. any suggestions for light 3 season bags (warmer the better) at this
    price???

  7. Dafydd Ap Arwyn wrote:
    > Thanks Andy and Richard.
    > The sensible part of me agrees. I'm gonna spend £114 on an e-trex
    > venture, it's got all the features i need (an emergency locator,and to
    > store my actual walked route. Plus it comes with PC cable already.), but
    > a sleeping bag is much more important considering i can use a map and
    > compass.
    >
    > But my problem's solved. I think i've wangled the finances together,
    > meaning i can justify (as well as afford!) spending £130-150 on a down
    > sleeping bag (i agree, quality is well superior), along with either an
    > Akto or Laserlite (decisions).
    >
    > I'm never one to buy cheap if i can help it! usually end up buying twice.
    >
    > Unfortunately, the Rab (ive read such good things about it!) is out of my
    > range at £250.. My GF would kill me!
    >
    > T Dave R.
    >
    > p.s. any suggestions for light 3 season bags (warmer the better) at this
    > price???

    How about one of these.

    http://www.trekdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Comfort_Down_Filled_Range_20.html

    or the performance range. I have the -10°C . Packs small and is very warm.

    http://www.trekdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Performance_Down_Filled_Range_21.html

    --

    Don`t Worry, Be Happy
    Sandy

  8. Ta,
    They look reasonable.
    i'll get my shopping brain in next week and have a proper look.
    If they pack small, that's good cos i want to squeeze all into a 40litre
    pack.

    Have to say, i have mixed feelings about the top of the range bag in *gold*!

    T Dave Roberts

  9. In article <[email protected]>, Dafydd Ap Arwyn
    <[email protected]> writes
    >p.s. any suggestions for light 3 season bags (warmer the better) at this
    >price???

    Mountain Equipment do a Classic range and a Dreamcatcher range that
    might suit your needs at your budget.

    http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/sleepingbags/classic
    http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/sleepingbags/dreamcatcher

    In either range the 500 or 750 should suit you

    Cotswold do them but you should google around to see if you can find
    better prices (some places will give you discount if you are a member of
    a club or some organisations)

    http://www.cotswold-outdoor.com/Cat/35598

    Aktiv8 have some offers on the Dreamcatchers at the moment
    http://www.aktive8.com/categories.html?cat=71

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  10. > p.s. any suggestions for light 3 season bags (warmer the better) at

    this
    > price???

    ### Take a look at the Vango Venoms
    http://www.amg-outdoor.co.uk/vango2004/index.asp
    I've used a Venom 300 (as have one or two others here IIRC) down to
    about -5 C
    Graham

  11. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Dafydd Ap Arwyn wrote:
    > 'spose i should forget that shiny new GPS i'm after (though it would get
    > lots more use than a bag)

    Depends how you define "much use". If you're recording track logs,
    possibly true, but for occasional use of checking where you are or
    marking waypoints for just in case retreats (all I usually use mine for)
    then I think it's fair to say a couple of nights in my sleeping bag
    accounts for more time than I've ever spent using my GPS unit (and I've
    had one for about 4 years...).

    I do like the GPS for skiing, when my hands are full and navigation is
    intrinsically tricky for several reasons, for sea kayaking when having
    the ground move underneath you makes it "interesting" at times, but for
    walking I usually leave it at home simply because it doesn't generally
    help much/at all with routine navigation (if you want to record track
    log data, that's a different matter!)

    Also remember that a good down bag is "in use" all the time you carry it
    and it is taking up less space and weighing less than a cheaper synthetic.

    > p.s. any suggestions for light 3 season bags (warmer the better) at this
    > price???

    Note that temperature ratings aren't standards and are just a
    combination of a guess and some marketing. So just because Brand X say
    their bag does "-5 C" doesn't really mean anything except it'll keep you
    warmer than the same company's 0 C model. Aside from bags not having
    standards, people don't conform to them in any case: I lent my -25 C bag
    out a few times to people who had it zipped up in /summer/, while I
    eventually sold it because I'd only ever got the zip done all the way up
    in 7 years and found it too hot for UK use...

    IME, ME are reasonably trustworthy on their down bag ratings, Rab are,
    if anything, erring on the side of caution, and most synthetic bag
    ratings appear to be rather optimistic.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  12. Ta for all the useful advice.
    I was reading some old mags last night that put the RAB bags as well warm.
    i'll have alook at the others and see what fits my budget.
    I'm still hoping for the GPS as *well*! Technophilia is not easily cured!
    (and neither is Hypothermia, i know :))

    T Dave R.

  13. Darren G

    Darren G Guest

    says...
    > Thanks Andy and Richard.
    > The sensible part of me agrees. I'm gonna spend £114 on an e-trex venture,
    > it's got all the features i need (an emergency locator,and to store my
    > actual walked route. Plus it comes with PC cable already.), but a sleeping
    > bag is much more important considering i can use a map and compass.
    >
    > But my problem's solved. I think i've wangled the finances together, meaning
    > i can justify (as well as afford!) spending £130-150 on a down sleepingbag
    > (i agree, quality is well superior), along with either an Akto or Laserlite
    > (decisions).
    >
    > I'm never one to buy cheap if i can help it! usually end up buying twice.
    >
    > Unfortunately, the Rab (ive read such good things about it!) is out of my
    > range at £250.. My GF would kill me!
    >
    > T Dave R.
    >
    > p.s. any suggestions for light 3 season bags (warmer the better) at this
    > price???

    the ME dreamcatcher should come in at about that price if you shop
    around a bit. Very happy with mine, fine down around the -5 mark and I
    love the stretchy leg bit (or tds as they call it).

    --
    Darren
    mail to darren not ng

  14. Ysgrifennodd "Dafydd Ap Arwyn" <[email protected]> mewn neges
    newyddion:[email protected]
    > Hi all. Got a little Question.
    >
    > While i intended to get a nice ME or some other expensive make bag for
    > about £120-150, finances are poor.
    > So when i see a Gelert X-TREME LITE 1200 SLEEPING BAG (scuse caps, cut 'n
    > paste!) for £40 (then i find it for about £30), with the following specs:-
    >
    > A 3 season Nylon sleeping bag with ratings of Extreme -11°C and
    > Comfort -6°C to +7°C.
    > Weight : 1200g.
    >
    > I think.. hmm.... that would fit quite nicely in my ProAction1 (mk1 -
    > original and still the best).
    >
    > The only drawback i can see is the bulk (and i'd imagine durability would
    > not be excellent), but the weight is low and -6C should do me on an easter
    > 2/3 dayer across the Moelwyn(au/wyns).
    > So, to cut a long post slightly short, anyone used em, and are they any
    > good? Or got another suitable, *light* bag for a similar budget????
    >
    > Ta.
    > T Dave R.

    For interest I have just oredered a Mountain Equipment Classic Dragon 750
    for a ton, so bargain methinks.
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    I've also ordered a GPS, so I'm one happy guy at the mo.
    Trying to persuade meself to get some Cascada trews now, but afraid that
    they may be too warm in summer....

    Ta.

    --

    Only Fools and Ponies. (Carneddau ponies threatened by beaurocrats, you
    decide which is which)