Gemini 1000?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bruce Edge, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    I know you guys are all anti-cdale, for some good reasons too, but I have to get a new bike, mine is
    toast. Ovalized head tube nd BB housing, etc...

    I need something beefier than an XC bike. Sure I'd prefer an Id, La Bruja or an RFX , but I
    don't hage $3k+

    Is this thing a POS, or will it stand up to the same abuse that destroyed my Jekyll?
    http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1790&Catalog=39&sort=Price

    -Bruce.

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    bruce edge wrote:

    > Is this thing a POS, or will it stand up to the same abuse that destroyed my Jekyll?
    > http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1790&Catalog=39&sort=Price

    Cannondale has just filed for chapter 11. Best to avoid them for at least the time-being. Plus,
    their frames don't have such a good rep. Considering they're usually expensive, I'm sure you can
    find alternatives.

  3. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > I know you guys are all anti-cdale, for some good reasons too, but I have to get a new bike, mine
    > is toast. Ovalized head tube nd BB housing, etc...
    >
    > I need something beefier than an XC bike. Sure I'd prefer an Id, La Bruja or an RFX , but I don't
    > hage $3k+
    >
    > Is this thing a POS, or will it stand up to the same abuse that destroyed my Jekyll?
    > http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1790&Catalog=39&sort=Price
    >
    > -Bruce.

    Don't do it.....actually I've heard they ride pretty nice, but workmanship is highly suspect. C-Dale
    (IIRC) is in the midst og being sold and who knows what the warranty situation will be. IMHO, I
    think you're better off looking for a good quality used rig from
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=29 and/or the classifieds on
    http://mtbr.com/

    Many people that are trying to sell stuff are hurting big time right now because it's not selling.
    It a buyers market right now if ever there was one.

    Besides I thought Wheelworld had some other good deals at their WH store. I'll be there tomorrow
    (looking for some DH shorts) and will check out the bikes too. I plan on hitting SuperBlow and maybe
    a few others...I check around. What size do you ride?

    --
    Slacker

  4. I don't want to be seen as THE C'dale supporter but a little research on the Chap 11 situation will
    ease your mind on that issue (facts, not inuendo) I agree workmanship may be an issue, but I have
    also rarely seen C'dale turn down a warranty either in contrast to other manufacturers. I think the
    same rule always applies - Ride it before you buy it...

    news:Y2Oea.22066$S%[email protected]... "bruce edge"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > I know you guys are all anti-cdale, for some good reasons too, but I have to get a new bike, mine
    > is toast. Ovalized head tube nd BB housing, etc...
    >
    > I need something beefier than an XC bike. Sure I'd prefer an Id, La Bruja or an RFX , but I don't
    > hage $3k+
    >
    > Is this thing a POS, or will it stand up to the same abuse that destroyed my Jekyll?
    > http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1790&Catalog=39&sort=Price
    >
    > -Bruce.

    Don't do it.....actually I've heard they ride pretty nice, but workmanship is highly suspect. C-Dale
    (IIRC) is in the midst og being sold and who knows what the warranty situation will be. IMHO, I
    think you're better off looking for a good quality used rig from
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=29 and/or the classifieds on
    http://mtbr.com/

    Many people that are trying to sell stuff are hurting big time right now because it's not selling.
    It a buyers market right now if ever there was one.

    Besides I thought Wheelworld had some other good deals at their WH store. I'll be there tomorrow
    (looking for some DH shorts) and will check out the bikes too. I plan on hitting SuperBlow and maybe
    a few others...I check around. What size do you ride?

    --
    Slacker

  5. Gopherhockey

    Gopherhockey Guest

    Yes, the Chapt. 11 doesn't appear to be affecting their bike division, and hardly has made a dent on
    sales or sale prices (at least on eBay last I checked). Having said that, the Gemini is a sweet
    looking ride, but I'd hesitate due to the frame issues they have had with this specific model.
    Warranty situations with Cannondale are never an issue, unless you have a crappy local bike shop.

    --
    gopherhockey

    *saturday, april 6, 2002*;- xcel energy center (att: 19,324)- 1st per: ballard 10 (riddle, angell),
    7:18 (pp); 2nd per: pohl 27 (anthony, angell), 5:38; 3rd per: koalska 10 (riddle, pohl), 19:07; ot:
    potulny 15 (pohl, leopold), 16:58 (pp)
    East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  6. Tj

    Tj Guest

    It will hold up to some punishment. It's a c-dale though. Your paying for american built stuff. They
    have a great MFG process, and good QC. If it were any other model though I would say forget it.

    TJ Buy it big, and heavy.