General Consenus on best FS XC bike

Meek One

May 5, 2004
Been out of the game for a while, what are the top full-suspension XC racing bikes available today?

Please list your top 3 to 5. Thanks for the opinions.

I plan on demo-ing the winners (if possible). Thanks again.

Meek One said:
Been out of the game for a while, what are the top full-suspension XC racing bikes available today?

I've supported Ellsworth for a few years now, and I'd recommend the Truth...perhaps the Epiphany for more serious trails, however, my wife prefers Santa Cruz and rides a Blur...for XC racing, she'd go with the Superlight or Blur LT

Some swear by the Specialized Epic...but it's just a bike

Happy trails

Depends, are you talking racing or RACING, Sport/Expert racing or Pro.

Pros and non-pros have such different styles that different bikes are preferred.

If you are an elite racer then
1. Specialized Epic
2. Giant Athem
3. Trek Fuel (although these are so fragile that unless you travel with an extra frame you wouldn't want one)

If you are an expert or sport racer then
1. Norco Faze
2. Santa Cruz Blur
3. Kona The King

Meek One said:

Scott Spark (lightest available)

Orbea Alma (my dream bike)

kclw said:
Depends, are you talking racing or RACING, Sport/Expert racing or Pro.

Pros and non-pros have such different styles that different bikes are preferred.

If you are an elite racer then
1. Specialized Epic
2. Giant Athem
3. Trek Fuel (although these are so fragile that unless you travel with an extra frame you wouldn't want one)

If you are an expert or sport racer then
1. Norco Faze
2. Santa Cruz Blur
3. Kona The King
I love my EPIC but I race (not Elite only Sport) I would say if you are racing at all the Epic is an excellent choice. If you are looking for a general trail bike (e.g. want to throw in some drops and stuff) the Epic might not be the best choice.

woodchuck said:
I love my EPIC but I race (not Elite only Sport) I would say if you are racing at all the Epic is an excellent choice. If you are looking for a general trail bike (e.g. want to throw in some drops and stuff) the Epic might not be the best choice.
The reason I differentiate between Elite and non Elite is the racing styles are so different.

You watch a good elite racer and they are standing up and attacking the whole race, where as non-elites tend to sit and spin the whole race. This places different demands on a bike.

Elites want a bike that is really snappy under acceleration. Non-elites want a bike that smooths the terrain and allows them to maintain their spin.

The epic is a wicked bike but it is so race orriented that I hesitate recommending it to anybody who does race elite. However I live in BC and our race course are very technical so my perceptions may we warped.