General MTB buying advise

Jim R

Jul 26, 2004
I am a somewhat casual roadbike rider. I ride my Trek 2100 about 4 times a week (25-50 mile rides) but I live next to a park with some pretty nice dirt trails for MTB riding and am considering buying a MTB for an occasional change of pace. I would use it about once a week on fairly smooth dirt trails but with some good hills.

For a MTB newbie, there are a surprising number of options. What general features should I be looking for in a $1000 (or less) MTB bike - ie. front and/or rear suspension, disc brakes, component set (maybe equivalent to at least a Shimano 105 road set), etc.. After a little web searching, I suspect I would be looking for an Aluminum frame (maybe something on the order of a Trek 6500 or 6700). I am not looking for specific bike suggestions but more for general guidelines that will make MTB riding a little faster and more pleasant. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jim R said:
I am a somewhat casual roadbike rider. I ride my Trek 2100 about 4 times a week (25-50 mile rides) but I live next to a park with some pretty nice dirt trails for MTB riding and am considering buying a MTB for an occasional change of pace. I would use it about once a week on fairly smooth dirt trails but with some good hills.

For a MTB newbie, there are a surprising number of options. What general features should I be looking for in a $1000 (or less) MTB bike - ie. front and/or rear suspension, disc brakes, component set (maybe equivalent to at least a Shimano 105 road set), etc.. After a little web searching, I suspect I would be looking for an Aluminum frame (maybe something on the order of a Trek 6500 or 6700). I am not looking for specific bike suggestions but more for general guidelines that will make MTB riding a little faster and more pleasant. Thanks for the suggestions.

Unless you really need the rear shock, a hardtail will be a better choice than a corresponding FS bike for the same price. I'd go with an XT spec'd bike which is in the 105/ultegra range of quality.

Jim R said:

If you are gonna go with TREK, then definitley go for the 6700. I had originally put some money down on the 6500, but realized that for 300 more I could get the 6700, which is a much better bike. I picked mine up for just a lil over 1,000 and i love it. It has hydraulic disc brakes, a sram x-9 rear derailleur, a good front fork, and alot of other good components.