General Newbie Training Qs

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Psycl'nFizicist, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Psycl'nFizicist

Psycl'nFizicist New Member

Hey all, I'm the resident newbie here. I'm relatively addicted to other forums so I'm pretty sure I can add a new one, and this one seemes to be the best cycling forum.

I have a few questions regarding training, but I figure I should give you guys alittle background. I'm a 5'10" 160lbs fairly lean rider. I've been riding slightly above recreationally for about a year. Last fall I was riding everyday averaging about 12-15mi a day. My goal was right around 20mi a day, but I ended up getting my roommate into cycling so we took it easy for the first month or so. The thing I tried to focus on was my ride average, which I felt was relatively slow for teh FL terrain and distances i was riding (14-16mph). Then I was off the bike most of the spring semester (Jan-May) due to difficult and time cionsuming classes.

So here I am, the beginning of July and I haven't picked up into riding as much as I thought I would. Im having trouble finding the motivation to get out everyday (by myself). The reason I tink I have problems getting out is because even when I rode I wouldn't really see any changes in my fitness level or more obvious my musculature...any suggestions???

Also I'd like to know what I can do to raise my average speed over the course of a ride. I used to be a hurdler/sprinter on my HS track team (2yrs ago) so i figured myself to be more along those lines as a cyclist. I suffer from not being able to sustain a high level of effort (i.e. 70%+) for any decent amount of time. For example, I get dropped at the top of a long gradual climb by faster groups because I would keep up while climbing the hill. I would like to raise my general cruise speed a few mph. I think when I feel comfotable with my "training" ride speed I will finally try my hand at racing.

Sorry my first post is so long, but I'd appreciate the help. Thanks.

Psycl'nFizicist

Tags:

2. keydates

keydates New Member

If you are just riding the same amount almost every day at essentially the same intensity, you won't be getting faster or more fit. Some days, you need to ride longer, other days you should ride shorter but harder. If you don't have time to do long rides, try varying your exercise. Do all out sprints for 5-10 seconds or so, recover than repeat a couple times. If there are any hills around you, try hill repeats. Go as hard as you can up the hill, recover to your normal riding heart rate, than do it again (5-10 times).

This might help:
    http://www.63xc.com/gregg/101_8.htm